WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bernier can still dominate in MLS. DeGuzman? ... Sure, Osorio may at some point. Imagine a triangle of Bernier, Hutchinson and Johnson. Just can't understand it. 

When was the last time Bernier was good for the CMNT?  It's nice to imagine hypotheticals but the fact is that Osorio and Bernier aren't good at the international level, a player shouldn't just start because they've played well for their club in MLS.  Remember Bernier's last 2 Canada matches in Panama (2012 and just last year?) he was horrible.  It's short sighted to think that just because Bernier plays in MLS he is better than De Guzman at this point.

Johnson, De Guzman and Hutchinson have all performed at the international level consistently by Canada standards.  I wouldn't be opposed to a Bernier recall but to say that 36 year old should be starting a key WCQ based off one performance is unrealistic.  Personally I think Floro had a look and realized Bernier wasn't what we needed, I wouldn't be opposed to a recall but it is what it is.  We need fit players who can handle the rigours of WCQ.  

1. Not too concerned about Bernier's past performances under different non-systems and coaches

2. Hope you're not suggesting things have been going well without him either

3. Not based off one performance, he's been great ever since Biello has brought him back into a prominent role

4. Suggesting he's not fit is ridiculous, especially over JDG.

1. Not too concerned about Bernier's past performances under different non-systems and coaches

2. Hope you're not suggesting things have been going well without him either

3. Not based off one performance, he's been great ever since Biello has brought him back into a prominent role

4. Suggesting he's not fit is ridiculous, especially over JDG.

1. 2014 vs. Panama was last year under Floro in our current system, he was our worst player

2. No, I'm not

3. Agreed and I'm not opposed to a recall, just not a starting spot

4. He has played 90 minutes just once this season, so it's not a ridiculous statement.. it's just what happens when you're 36.  JDG is a holding midfielder for Canada and 2 years younger, I trust him to play 90 and we need him to play 90.  Let's see if Bernier starts Saturday, how many minutes he plays and how he plays and come back to this.

1. 2014 vs. Panama was last year under Floro in our current system, he was our worst player

2. No, I'm not

3. Agreed and I'm not opposed to a recall, just not a starting spot

4. He has played 90 minutes just once this season, so it's not a ridiculous statement.. it's just what happens when you're 36.  JDG is a holding midfielder for Canada and 2 years younger, I trust him to play 90 and we need him to play 90.  Let's see if Bernier starts Saturday, how many minutes he plays and how he plays and come back to this.

He may have only played 90 once but he's played in the 60-80 range several times. I'm not saying he's necessarily The Answer nor that he's necessarily better than JDG.. Just that it's inexplicable that he's not even meaningfully on the depth chart at his position.

He may have only played 90 once but he's played in the 60-80 range several times. I'm not saying he's necessarily The Answer nor that he's necessarily better than JDG.. Just that it's inexplicable that he's not even meaningfully on the depth chart at his position.

That's not definitive though.  This late resurgence has been fairly recent, I think we could all understand why he wasn't in the Gold Cup or September conversation but now that he is playing well we'll see when the squad list is released.  I think he would be a nice option off the bench later on in matches, he's experienced and is a good player.. really my only knock is that he can't go 90 at the international level.  

Wasn't it only a couple months ago he was "taking time from the team" over his lack of playing time and overall poor treatment?  I am happy he is back playing and playing wellin MLS, but lets not get carried away like we always do on here.  Osorio is not the second coming of DERO.  After a dozen games Leferve is not going to step in and take the starting CB job.  Bernier and Deguz are too old, but at least Deguz has been getting call ups and has been in the camps lately.   Who does Bernier push out? Deguz, Ricketts Straith? ALL Floro favorites.  Hoilett, tesho, hutch, johnson, tiebert, Pietite??   I just dont see him playing in a game this important.  Maybe he takes Bekkers spot on the bench.  

Bernier might not be a starter but if we had a lead midway through the 2nd half he would be a pretty good reliable guy to come in and kill off the game. Even in his weaker games he is usually pretty good defensively and he is also able to make some nice passes in the counterattack. Working against him is not having played with the team for a while though which I think was a mistake on Floro's part. It is good to blood some young guys but I think good squad management means keeping guys like Bernier in the loop even if you are not intending to play him as your first choice in a position. Johnson and JDG have both had injuries this year and even if you favour both of them over Bernier, he is close enough to being in our starting 11 that he should be given some playing time with the rest of the team so if you have to use him he is ready. At 36 he is not much of a solution for the future but this is a WCQ year so the future is now.

Honduran preview of the game:

http://www.laprensa.hn/deportes/selección/894562-410/ramón-núñez-canadienses-son-peligrosos-a-balón-parado

Ramon Nunez : "Canadians are dangerous from set pieces"

...Nunez admits that this Canadian selection "is completely different."

Players with experience in qualifying, as Julian de Guzman, Ricketts and Marcel de Jong who are practically the calling card of the team led by Spanish Benito Floro. "They have enough experience . Many of them play outside of Canada , in the MLS or Europe".

He adds: "It's a pretty complete team." According to Nunez, the strength of the Canadians has always been "the set pieces and the tactical approach." So he advises "to try to beat them on the weak points they have."

On the subject of cold weather in Vancouver, the midfielder believes that "in qualifying games you do not feel the cold or heat. It is about winning."

What would Ramon Nunez know about how Hondurans prep. for the cold? The guy grew up in Texas, it gets alot colder there than La Ceiba or other northern coastal locations that half their team is from. Mexicans and Ticos have been affected adversely by the cold multiple times in the last few decades so i'll trust my eyeballs and not lip service from an American-Honduran.

Temperature is a one way street.  The cold just isn't the same problem for players as those not used to the heat.

I disagree.  If you have never played in real cold weather there is no comparison... both are completely different conditions.  That cold air burning in your lungs and the feeling of the lingering pain after stomp on the toes isn't something you can experience in the heat.  

Most Canadians have played in extreme heat before, we have hot summers here... but on the other side of the coin most domestic Hondurans would never have experienced playing in real cold conditions.  I think the hot weather excuse is a cop out excuse for players not being as physically fit as the other team... both teams need to play in the conditions and there is nothing genetic that gives Hondurans an advantage over us in heat... they are just fitter.

I don't think the temperature will be cold enough in Vancouver for these effects to really take hold but I'm just giving examples of how it isn't a one way street.  Never mind how hard it is to play in flurries or snow, not that we would ever use weather to our advantage.  

-10 is a shock to the system when you've never felt it before.  Wouldve been a huge physical and psychological advantage for us if we could have played in those conditions, flurries a bonus.

Nov. 13 it will be +6 degrees in Van.  Weather will basically be a non issue.

Edmonton will have a low of -3 on Nov. 13.  Winnipeg -1.  

A big crowd in Van is more important than the above temps, i think.  

Winnipeg or Edmonton in March will surely get us closer to -10.  Glad CSA is waiting to see how game goes in Van before deciding march location.

I have played a lot in both.  From the joys of Trimble park with wind, snow, rain and hail in one game to playing in Bangkok and the Caribbean. 

Heat and humidity is something you can adjust to over time. 

Being inside BC Place with the roof open will never, ever be as asymmetric as playing in the kind of  heat we play in down there. 

I have played a lot in both.  From the joys of Trimble park with wind, snow, rain and hail in one game to playing in Bangkok and the Caribbean. 

Heat and humidity is something you can adjust to over time. 

Being inside BC Place with the roof open will never, ever be as asymmetric as playing in the kind of  heat we play in down there. 

No doubt, but inside BC place isn't "cold" weather, it won't even be below zero.  If we're comparing truly cold weather vs. hot/humid conditions it isn't a one-way street.  I think we'll be much better off playing at night in Central America this time around.  It was complete BS that we had to play Cuba and Honduras mid-day last time around.  

No doubt, but inside BC place isn't "cold" weather, it won't even be below zero.  If we're comparing truly cold weather vs. hot/humid conditions it isn't a one-way street.  I think we'll be much better off playing at night in Central America this time around.  It was complete BS that we had to play Cuba and Honduras mid-day last time around.  

Oh man.

Cuba was nuts, and we were just hanging out in the stands!

Archived