WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mserson

It's all about winning. If you put revenues ahead of winning then you will disappointed with the result. I hope I'm wrong but when you treat an opposition like Honduras with nicety they will take advantage of it. Also this is a must win match as I can tell you Canada will have a tough time beating Honduras in Honduras due to the brutal atmosphere.

Brutal atmosphere in Central America is largely due to their supporters, inherent nature of their infrastructure, altitude would be second for Mexican matches and then weather. Football culture is just in its pre-puberty stage in Canada which is why 3k Mexicans/Hondurans can drown out 15k Canadians.

Playing in really cold conditions is basically saying we're going for a lucky/ugly 1-0 win. Judging by comments on this board about Floro's defensive tactics, you would think people would abhor this approach.

Anyway, there is a natural tendency to be giddy before the real qualifying matches start. Our team isn't known for stepping up and our best players have flopped when the spotlight has been on in the past 20 years. So, my tempered expectations is for draw. A bonus would be a draw with us scoring.

If we dare to win, I'm ready to dream.

Brutal atmosphere in Central America is largely due to their supporters, inherent nature of their infrastructure, altitude would be second for Mexican matches and then weather. Football culture is just in its pre-puberty stage in Canada which is why 3k Mexicans/Hondurans can drown out 15k Canadians.

Playing in really cold conditions is basically saying we're going for a lucky/ugly 1-0 win. Judging by comments on this board about Floro's defensive tactics, you would think people would abhor this approach.

Anyway, there is a natural tendency to be giddy before the real qualifying matches start. Our team isn't known for stepping up and our best players have flopped when the spotlight has been on in the past 20 years. So, my tempered expectations is for draw. A bonus would be a draw with us scoring.

If we dare to win, I'm ready to dream.

Do you really think so? The biggest difference between playing at 10 degrees as compared to 20 or more is how much easier to run at the lower temperature. The Hondurans will hopefully be uncomfortable, but nothing about cold weather to me suggests negative tactics.

mserson

It's all about winning. If you put revenues ahead of winning then you will disappointed with the result. I hope I'm wrong but when you treat an opposition like Honduras with nicety they will take advantage of it. Also this is a must win match as I can tell you Canada will have a tough time beating Honduras in Honduras due to the brutal atmosphere.

Jesus Christ.

Its the day of our biggest game in 3 years and ppl are complaining about where its played when 20,000 tickets have already been sold.

give it a rest.

Jesus Christ.

Its the day of our biggest game in 3 years and ppl are complaining about where its played when 20,000 tickets have already been sold.

give it a rest.

If we don't win there will be a lot of second guessing and rightly so! I am hoping a large pro Canadian crowd and playing on turf as well as a decent squad are enough to get us the win!

Thanks Gator.

It is all about winning. I went to the match last week where the Caps looked flat against the Timbers in there most important match and with a fantastic atmosphere. All anyone talked about afterward was what could have been. Again this is all about winning.

Canada needs to come out with a killer instinct and win tonight.

King 1010

Attendance means squat in this as I witnessed it last weekend. The Crowd was fantastic but the play was poor. Its the performance on the field that matters and if the CSA can gain any advantages by having matches played in harsher environments then I am for it. I only want Canada to win and have the best opportunity to advance while hurting the chances of the other three.

Glad to see so many tickets sold. I assume that's close to capacity after the drape job is done?

Another positive is the CSA's involvement with support increasing for the present. I've liked seeing the new interaction on social media. Events and such.

Congrats Vancouver. Enjoy. Do us proud. All you travelers have fun!

Excited about this one. Feel a very positive vibe in the Canadian Soccer Community, spread the word to everyone  you know to tune in if they can't make the game. 

I been telling everyone I know to watch the game tonight. You would be surprised how many didn't even know about it.Even some soccer people.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/five-things-to-know-heading-into-canada-s-wcq-with-honduras-1.392775

WTF is this.  A ...positive/optimistic article about the team?  On TSN?  Where's my Larscum Canada-sucks-and-will-never-amount-to-anything piece that I have to stomach as there's nothing else to read?

EVERYTHING IS BACKWARDS FROM WHAT I KNOW?!  MUST MEAN THE RESULTS WILL BE TOO?  YES?  PLS?

CMYR!!!!!!!!!!!!

King 1010

Attendance means squat in this as I witnessed it last weekend. The Crowd was fantastic but the play was poor. Its the performance on the field that matters and if the CSA can gain any advantages by having matches played in harsher environments then I am for it. I only want Canada to win and have the best opportunity to advance while hurting the chances of the other three.

that's great. not looking to have this discussion the day of our biggest game in years.

my attention is solely behind the men on the field. not where the game is played.

What is it for Canada in general?

For the MNT I suspect Canada v Brazil, 1994 at Commonwealth. In the 50 000 range.

And I echo the comments about work productivity. I have the cab off of an F150 doing a bunch of engine work and as soon as this one is done there is another waiting for the same treatment. My goal is to avoid fvcking up as opposed to putting out hours.

What is it for Canada in general?

Records are incomplete, but my bet is the all-time attendance record for a World Cup qualifier in Canada is 27,775 at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, when Canada faced Australia in 1993.

As near as I can tell the British Columbia record is a formidable 6,500 knife-wielding Guatamalans at Swangard Stadium in 2004. [EDIT: not true; see king1010 below.]

Records are incomplete, but my bet is the all-time attendance record for a World Cup qualifier in Canada is 27,775 at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, when Canada faced Australia in 1993.

As near as I can tell the British Columbia record is a formidable 6,500 knife-wielding Guatamalans at Swangard Stadium in 2004.

17,939 for a WCQ in Vancouver in 1976

http://issuu.com/canadasoccer/docs/20151113_canada_soccer_programme_en

Archived