WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

2) The Honduras arrive at 8:59pm Pacific Time at Vancouver airport. Give them a hostile (but non-violent welcome).

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/900143-99/selección-de-honduras-inicia-camino-a-vancouver-para-enfrentar-a-canadá

(United airlines flight UA 1597 frorm Houston)

http://www.yvr.ca/en/flight-information/arriving.aspx

3) Find out where those Honduras have their hotel and be loud!

Please tell me someone is going to meet them at the airport and tailgate them 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Floro speaks to Honduran media

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/900307-99/benito-floro-sobre-el-canadá-honduras-no-hay-ningún-favorito

Benito Floro on Canada-Honduras: "There is no favorite"

Benito Floro looks calm as usual, ends the training and approaches us to meet the interview he had promised, even takes the time to joke and to gain confidence.
The former Real Madrid coach Friday's game does not seem to put tense, handles it with ease. It ensures that you have defined the starting 11 and not see a tie as a bad result, but clarifies that go for the win.
"Normally the starting lineup ahead we already have, but always waited until the last moment if any injury or illness," begins the helmsman of Canadians who cost him a better standard lead his team like hobby demands.
Benito has not only past performance tuning of its staff, has also devoted many hours to Honduras, even has a special application to bare the strengths and weaknesses of each opponent. His son Antonio is the one who gives all reports.
"I've seen games of the UNCAF Honduras and newer. Is an expert team that has a good position on the court, he is a very tough opponent, "he explains.
THE FAVORITE IS ...
Who is the favorite in this game ?, it will be addressed. The coach of 63 years, born in Gijon, Spain, does not hesitate to answer. "There is no favorite, both will be fairly balanced. It is a party that define individuality or luck. "
Debut against Honduras in the qualifying round for Benito Floro not know anything different to face any other team.
"For me the next game is always the most important and that strikes me. The rest is past and does not return, "he says.
On the small atmosphere that prevails in pre-match against the Vancouver Bicolor, says he does not know "how people will respond, but we hope that the more they come, the better."
BC Place Stadium has a synthetic turf, something he does not consider an advantage over Honduras.
"Factors are minimal because we are first going to play on an artificial pitch, but little-art and it shows. There is not any advantage on that, "he said.
How are the previous hours of Benito Floro as a party Friday ?. "I check the party details, talk to the players, not traumatized me for a party, life goes on, then there is another game and another, until you stop being coach."
"The revenge match for Canada," say many, but for Floro nothing of that, nor are mentioned players to find touch their pride. "People here know that this party was a crash that often occur in history," he said.
It has made clear that tie at home would not be a bad result. "It's not bad or good, but the best win, worst is losing. The most important thing is to qualify, "closed saying.

I am excited about this match and also nervous, let's not kid ourselves, if we don't win our campaign is potentially over before it really begins, this is a must win! We will find out how Floro's tactics stack up against a quality opponent at home and "the importance of Junior Hoilett", I can't wait!

It actually would be a very simple chant, I'm all for it.

On a related note I'm all for something that is unique to us, everything we do has been appropriated. How do we go about getting something like this going? Get a couple dozen of us committed, then all of us stand together and sing? I guess it's as simple as that. 

I also like Cal's idea of The Maple Leaf Forever.

ill throw both of these on a Bluetooth speaker for the Toronto Viewing party. 

I am excited about this match and also nervous, let's not kid ourselves, if we don't win our campaign is potentially over before it really begins, this is a must win! We will find out how Floro's tactics stack up against a quality opponent at home and "the importance of Junior Hoilett", I can't wait!

Important yes, but saying the first match of the group is a "must win" is over the top! If the players think this, the pressure will get to them and they will play timid and lose.

Important yes, but saying the first match of the group is a "must win" is over the top! If the players think this, the pressure will get to them and they will play timid and lose.

Every home game is a must win game. If you win all your home games and pick up a point somewhere on the road, you're through to the next round.

Drawing at home is not good enough.

Tbh it is a must win game. If we can't beat Honduras at home we don't deserve to go through. We shouldn't expect to get a result against Honuras away and Mexico either if we draw Honduras at home.

You only have to look as far back as the last 2 WC Qualifying cycles to see what happened when we dropped points to our main rivals at home (Jamaica and Honduras and again Honduras) it forces you to at very least duplicate that result away from home which is very tough! As far as the players are concerned, they know the pressure they are under and being professional athletes should be equipped to deal with it!

Anyone in the UK or Europe planing to watch this live?  It will start at 3am local time for me and I can't decide if if I should stay up all night or try to get up at 2:50am. 

I'll be watching it from Manchester. I did the whole wake up at 250am for the caps game the other night which was a struggle. I may just go out drinking and aim to get home right for game time. That will still be a struggle though.

Anyone in the UK or Europe planing to watch this live?  It will start at 3am local time for me and I can't decide if if I should stay up all night or try to get up at 2:50am. 

I'm in the UK too and I'm going to watch it live with some fellow Canucks.  Probably going to have to go out drinking to numb the inevitable pain to come.

You only have to look as far back as the last 2 WC Qualifying cycles to see what happened when we dropped points to our main rivals at home (Jamaica and Honduras and again Honduras) it forces you to at very least duplicate that result away from home which is very tough! As far as the players are concerned, they know the pressure they are under and being professional athletes should be equipped to deal with it!

Don't disagree with anyone saying it is important to win this (and how important it is to win at home and nick a few points on the road), and maybe really bloody important - but "must win" is too strong.

History shows our players do not deal with "must win" very well... Sadly...Professional athletes or otherwise.

This is an absolute must win.

If you don't win, that means you 99% need a result in Honduras or Mexico should not be banked on in any circumstance

tbh even 4 points out of the next two games puts you in a precarious position (basically needing to beat ESV at home and then either draw Mexico at home + Honduras on road or beat Mexico at home outright).

Don't disagree with anyone saying it is important to win this (and how important it is to win at home and nick a few points on the road), and maybe really bloody important - but "must win" is too strong.

History shows our players do not deal with "must win" very well... Sadly...Professional athletes or otherwise.

So your saying we shouldn't call it a must win so we don't frighten our players but in truth it is? Thats stupid

I also got up at 4AM for Vancouver, and am paying for it all week, feeling terrible. Mind you, went to work right after.

This time I think I might rest a bit before but usually that does not work for me, but live, yes, definitely live. Or sleep and wait for the result.

BTW, I also think it is much better to think of this as MUST win now, later it will be way harder. Harder vs Mexico and harder away to Honduras. And for example, if we win it puts Honduras in a pinch and they'll spill their guts to get points from Mexico.

We absolutely have to take the game to them and get the points. I am really looking forward to Larin, Junior and Tesho up front.

Reading the Honduran press, it seems Izaguirre (Celtic Left Back) and Bengston (Iran Forward) are not 1st choice starters this time around.  Pinto prefers younger players coming up from the Honduran league instead of these 2 veterans.  We'll see.

That's odd... both players are just in their 20s.  Izaguirre is 29 with 80 caps and tons of experience, it would be foolish not to start him and the Honduran league options aren't exactly "young".. besides one 23 year old with just one cap.  

Bengtson doesn't have a great club track record but he's been lights out for Honduras... 9 goals in the last WCQ cycle.  Although it's feasible they'll play with just one striker and have Lozano up top is he even with the team?  I thought I read he pulled out.

I also got up at 4AM for Vancouver, and am paying for it all week, feeling terrible. Mind you, went to work right after.

This time I think I might rest a bit before but usually that does not work for me, but live, yes, definitely live. Or sleep and wait for the result.

BTW, I also think it is much better to think of this as MUST win now, later it will be way harder. Harder vs Mexico and harder away to Honduras. And for example, if we win it puts Honduras in a pinch and they'll spill their guts to get points from Mexico.

We absolutely have to take the game to them and get the points. I am really looking forward to Larin, Junior and Tesho up front.

I hope those are the 3 forwards. Ricketts can come off the bench.

That's odd... both players are just in their 20s.  Izaguirre is 29 with 80 caps and tons of experience, it would be foolish not to start him and the Honduran league options aren't exactly "young".. besides one 23 year old with just one cap.  

Bengtson doesn't have a great club track record but he's been lights out for Honduras... 9 goals in the last WCQ cycle.  Although it's feasible they'll play with just one striker and have Lozano up top is he even with the team?  I thought I read he pulled out.

I thought it was odd as well, but apparently Bengston has sucked badly since the last Qualifiers.  I read an article yesterday which said he is the 5th choice striker, can't find the link now.  Lozano is injured.

This article confirms Izaguirre won't start:  http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/900373-99/pinto-confirma-que-ever-alvarado-será-titular-y-no-emilio-izaguirre

Archived