WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UMBRO CANADA Scarves and Summer Hats 5$ @ Richmomd Centre Sports Check. I picked up 5scarves(24th Oct 1015am) as the people going with me to the game dont have anything representing Canada to the game.

Regular Price 30$

Great price for a product that hopefully will last a few years....

SAD thing is how Discounted Canadian Soccer gear is....

I went back and checked the 2012 roster for the US friendly and the Cuba and Honduras games.

goalkeepers Milan Borjan, Lars Hirschfeld and Kenny Stamatopoulos;

defenders David Edgar, André Hainault, Ante Jazic, Mike Klukowski, Nik Ledgerwood, Kevin McKenna, and Ashtone Morgan

midfielders Julian de Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson, Will Johnson, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Pedro Pacheco, Samuel Piette, and Josh Simpson

forwards Dwayne De Rosario, Iain Hume, Simeon Jackson, Olivier Occean, and Tosaint Ricketts.

Defenders: subtract jazic, klukowski, McKenna, Morgan

insert aird, ouimette, de Jong, jakovic

mids: subtract Simpson, Pacheco, issey, Piette

insert Osorio, Teibert, Akindele, straith 

forwards: subtract dero, Hume, Occean

insert Larin, Hoilett, Haber

Left off my list: Cavallini, Petrasso, lefevre. 

Returnees from three years ago:

3 keepers, Edgar, Hainault, Ledgerwood; jdg, Hutchinson, Johnson; Jackson, Ricketts.

Assuming I'm right that's a 50% change in 3.5 years. 

Piette, petrasso and cavallini are three that floro will likely find space for. Two returnees on the bubble, jdg and Jackson. Possible injured players: Edgar, Johnson, Ledgerwood and Jakovic

I went back and checked the 2012 roster for the US friendly and the Cuba and Honduras games.

goalkeepers Milan Borjan, Lars Hirschfeld and Kenny Stamatopoulos;

defenders David Edgar, André Hainault, Ante Jazic, Mike Klukowski, Nik Ledgerwood, Kevin McKenna, and Ashtone Morgan

midfielders Julian de Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson, Will Johnson, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Pedro Pacheco, Samuel Piette, and Josh Simpson

forwards Dwayne De Rosario, Iain Hume, Simeon Jackson, Olivier Occean, and Tosaint Ricketts.

Defenders: subtract jazic, klukowski, McKenna, Morgan

insert aird, ouimette, de Jong, jakovic

mids: subtract Simpson, Pacheco, issey, Piette

insert Osorio, Teibert, Akindele, straith 

forwards: subtract dero, Hume, Occean

insert Larin, Hoilett, Haber

Left off my list: Cavallini, Petrasso, lefevre. 

Returnees from three years ago:

3 keepers, Edgar, Hainault, Ledgerwood; jdg, Hutchinson, Johnson; Jackson, Ricketts.

Assuming I'm right that's a 50% change in 3.5 years. 

Piette, petrasso and cavallini are three that floro will likely find space for. Two returnees on the bubble, jdg and Jackson. Possible injured players: Edgar, Johnson, Ledgerwood and Jakovic

I don't think you can include Hoilett as a an attacker. He will most likely play LM.I'm almost positive Cavallini will be called up.

Honduras will assemble and train in Houston prior to this match. The other option they investigated was Seattle - which imo would have been better. Houston temp. right now is 25+C daytime and high teens night time low. Vancouver temp. range historically for mid-November is 9C to 5C.

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/893689-99/la-selección-de-honduras-se-concentrará-en-houston-confirma-pinto

On 10/25/2015 at 10:41 PM, hectorj said:

Is it confirmed that the roof will be open? If they leave it open all day, even at +9 it'll be very cold to the Hondurans and it would be an advantage.

I always wonder if the cold weather is really that much of an advantage for us. Not many of our players actually play in Canada, so I wonder if its just going to make them uncomfortable too. I mean, Hutch plays in Turkey, Cavallini is in Uruguay, Larin is in Florida. We have a lot of guys who aren't really used to the cold weather anymore right? I get that they were raised here but how long does it take to become more accustomed to the warm weather where these guys play?

I always wonder if the cold weather is really that much of an advantage for us. Not many of our players actually play in Canada, so I wonder if its just going to make them uncomfortable too. I mean, Hutch plays in Turkey, Cavallini is in Uruguay, Larin is in Florida. We have a lot of guys who aren't really used to the cold weather anymore right? I get that they were raised here but how long does it take to become more accustomed to the warm weather where these guys play?

Fair point, but I'm sure some of the players who play and live in Canada would have an advantage with the cold 

I dont think the weather will make much of an advantage for us. Even our players who do play in canada never play during the winter months  

Also if it rains im not sure bc place is built to withstand water (ie. Electrical and drainage) so the roof may have to be closed. 

When it comes to playing in the cold, it's all about how you deal with it.

Growing up in Canada, our players simply have more experience dealing with that. It doesn't make things easy, we just understand how to get on with it.

As a team, we'll likely be the first to adjust to the conditions, but that advantage will disappear the longer the game goes on. I also expect any Hondurans with European experience to adapt quickly. N.A based Hondurans will also adjust, but probably not as fast. All in all, lets hope for a goal within the first 10 minutes, because after that I believe our advantage becomes less important. 

I can't speak as someone going from being used to hot weather to playing in cold weather so I could be totally wrong but...

When I've had to play in hot weather, it feels to me like it's an extra physical load you have to carry on top of the physical effort. You have to pace yourself, because if you go all out you're gassed for a while and if you're not careful, by the end of the game, your're dead. 

Now, I've never been anywhere near the physical condition of our national players I'm sure, but even our players look tired and lethargic whenever I see them play in Central America and I assume it's because of the climate. Also, when I watch soccer being played in England or northern Europe they play like they're on speed, whereas games from Brazil seem to be at a much more leisurely pace which I also attribute to the climate.

Now reversing it, I expect our boys to come storming out of the gate when playing in Canada. Our opponents, won't be used to this and may be inclined to save their energy for later and this is to our advantage. At least I hope. If it was really cold and raining/snowing, we'd also have the advantage of the shock this would have on our opponents but, unfortunately the CSA gave that advantage up by playing in Vancouver. If the roof is closed, then I'll be really pissed about the location the CSA chose.

Colorado, Houston and San Jose were all eliminated yesterday. That means Figueroa, Bernardez, Garcia and Garrido will go 19 days without playing a game. Of course Larin will also go 19 days, but that's a 4 to 1 advantage for us.

Roger Espinoza was not dressed yesterday for SKC. They finished 6th and will play in Portland on Thursday in a wild card game. Will Johnson was dressed but DNP in a 4-1 win for Portland yesterday - good news!

The fact that it may rain in Vancouver in November is almost a given so i really hope the CSA did their homework and the roof will remain open no matter the conditions.

The fact that it mmay rain in Vancouver in November..... I hope the CSA did their homework and keep it closed.

Rain on grass.. I can live with.

Rain on turf will be a disaster for our new group. 

I can't speak as someone going from being used to hot weather to playing in cold weather so I could be totally wrong but...

When I've had to play in hot weather, it feels to me like it's an extra physical load you have to carry on top of the physical effort. You have to pace yourself, because if you go all out you're gassed for a while and if you're not careful, by the end of the game, your're dead. 

Now, I've never been anywhere near the physical condition of our national players I'm sure, but even our players look tired and lethargic whenever I see them play in Central America and I assume it's because of the climate. Also, when I watch soccer being played in England or northern Europe they play like they're on speed, whereas games from Brazil seem to be at a much more leisurely pace which I also attribute to the climate.

Now reversing it, I expect our boys to come storming out of the gate when playing in Canada. Our opponents, won't be used to this and may be inclined to save their energy for later and this is to our advantage. At least I hope. If it was really cold and raining/snowing, we'd also have the advantage of the shock this would have on our opponents but, unfortunately the CSA gave that advantage up by playing in Vancouver. If the roof is closed, then I'll be really pissed about the location the CSA chose.

Good post.

I think you are onto something when you touch on how game tempo is related to climate.

When it is hot, you must conserve your energy and let the ball do the work. The advantage goes to those with better technique. This doesn't favour us.

The cold weather favours the team that is better at playing a direct game. The pace of the game will be very quick. I do not imagine a slow tempo approach for either team in 5 degrees and rain. You will freeze regardless of whether you are Canadian or Honduran.

I anticipate we will come flying out of the gate. Eventually, Honduras will settle and start to play, but those first 10 minutes are huge. If we can get a goal in that time, it will really put them on the back foot. Settling into the conditions and subsequent game pace is one thing, but adjusting to that already down a goal will be substantially more difficult for them. 

I know MLS cup playoffs are right around the corner, but it would be cool to see the story of his dismissal on MLSSOCCER.COM. 

I think it is important for not only Canadian, but American fans as well, to be aware of this issue. For years both nations have been subjected to dubious decisions by Latin American officials. You cannot deny a disproportionate number of bad calls go against both nations when Latin American officials are in charge. Not always, but generally this is the unfortunate reality.

Just because this is the first time we've seen a referee lose an assignment for being biased, doesn't mean he is the first or only one who was biased - he is just the first one to get caught on record. 

I get it that they want to stick together, they share many commonalities culturally. A win or qualification for any of them is a win for Central America, a region hungry for respect, I suspect.

I know from first hand experience that many South Americans view these people as second rate Latin Americans. That is both in the football world and in general.

So, I see this as Central Americans taking care of their brothers so they collectively earn the respect of the rest of Latin American, in both footballing terms and otherwise. I am sure they are tired of being viewed as the backwater of the region .

I agree with all of that post but...

Are Americans really victim to Central American officials?  They seem to get more calls for than against to be honest.  CONCACAF has a vested interest in the USMNT doing well, unlike us.  Just think over the years as to how many calls they've had their way (2007 Gold Cup, Red to Frano recently as just two examples in our fairly recent matches against them)... the only call I recall really being against them was that yellow card to Besler in 2014 WCQ against Costa Rica.  

I'd be happy to look at some examples but they are under more of a microscope so they're hard to screw over.

Archived