Buchanan nominated for 2015 FIFA Ballon d'Or

shermanator

I'm assuming it was more of a political nomination.  Buchanon is good, but not as good as Sinclair was when she got nominated but never came close to winning.  So, I just view it as some good advertisement for Buchanon and the Canadian team.

I was surprised that she got nominated but it isn't completely crazy.  Her performance at the World Cup was remarkable for a 19 year old.  Is she one of the 10 best players in the world right now? No.  But FIFA often makes head scratching decisions, and this one is less crazy than most.  I find it interesting that some people are sugesting she shouldn't be on the list but I haven't seen anyone suggest Ramona Bachmann shouldn't be there and Kadeisha beat her for the Young Player award at the WWC.  Right or wrong, FIFA seems to have based this list on WWC performance rather than the full of year of play and I think Kadeisha was better than Ramona Bachmann over the entire tournament.

I was surprised that she got nominated but it isn't completely crazy.  Her performance at the World Cup was remarkable for a 19 year old.  Is she one of the 10 best players in the world right now? No.  But FIFA often makes head scratching decisions, and this one is less crazy than most.  I find it interesting that some people are sugesting she shouldn't be on the list but I haven't seen anyone suggest Ramona Bachmann shouldn't be there and Kadeisha beat her for the Young Player award at the WWC.  Right or wrong, FIFA seems to have based this list on WWC performance rather than the full of year of play and I think Kadeisha was better than Ramona Bachmann over the entire tournament.

Maybe both should not be there.  If I am not mistaken it is not Fifa who selects the players, it is the coaches who vote for the players they like, so those with the most votes make the Fifa lists.  What I don't like of Buchanan is that she goes down too much, albeit with success.  To me a defender should defend staying on their feet.

...The youngest player on John Herdman’s squad during Canada 2015 at 19 years of age... from: http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/player-of-the-year/women.html

Buchanan is not in the top 10 players right now but I think she is likely in the top 30 (no small feat, especially so young); I hope this nomination gives her more exposure and more opportunities. Also, FIFA made another mistake; Fleming was on the squad and is certainly younger than Buchanan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessie_Fleming 

Lloyd to win it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess I am somewhat offside on this one, but I don't think she is out of place in this company.  She is an amazing defender.  Fast, decisive, strong - she has everything she needs to be the best female centre back in the world.  And she isn't far off now from what I have seen.  Sometimes I cringe when she flies into a slide tackle (no one gets them right 100% of the time) but she is really an elite player.  Hopefully the next gen of forwards we are seeing in the OQ matches can be the same level of quality at the other end of the pitch.

• 7 months later...
34 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

FIFA isn't involved in the Ballon d'Or anymore.

You are right and I stand corrected.  I found more information about the divorce.  The write-up seems to imply that FIFA may resurrect their old Player of the Year award.  I was just trying to make the point that the women list should also be expanded.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2016/09/20/football-france-announces-ballon-dor-rule-changes-fifa-ends-association-with-the-award/

Archived