The disparity in wages between the low end players and the DP's is something that makes MLS strange and why many of the teams are so unbalanced!

Those kind of murky rules are the reason a league that talks of "parity" can have a few teams with 20 million dollar salaries and most with 6-7million.  To put it in perspective, the EPL (discounting the bottom recently promoted few) top 4 type teams are over 200pounds, mid level 60-70mil.  So MLS has the almost the same disparity in team salaries as non cap leagues.

Actually, now that i look a little harder, the first 20 roster spots on most MLS teams (guys that actually play) there are only a few under 100g, and mid range guys (spot starters etc) are making 100-300g.  Its mainly the supp/reserve (spots #20-30) players that are down under 100g and on the 50-70g minimum contacts.  A lot of those guys are draft picks or academy kids, that are lucky to have a spot with a team I guess.  

What this has to do with Borges, I dont know.  

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Kent said:

And if teams had been spending what they are spending, without all the DP/TAM/GAM nonsense, and just spent how they'd like to, I feel like an MLS team would have won the CCL by now.

Well, it is all in an effort to maintain parity, but I personally feel these measures are no longer needed for that.

Assuming a salary cap to be high enough to accommodate all current spending, including DP and TAM players, how close to the ceiling would clubs like the Colorado Rapids get? If they are going to spend 70% of what he Galaxy do (for example), shouldn't they still be able to compete?

I feel they should, but that is just a feeling and I would like to compare with some other salary capped leagues.

Does anyone who what percentage of the cap teams on the low end spectrum use in the NHL?

Edited by Obinna

Posted (edited)

Just a quick look, but top spending team Leafs==84mil, bottom is jets 64mil (17 mil cap space).  Cap is 82mil so, bottom teams using almost 80% of cap space, top teams at cap

NHL league minimium 700g, cap at 82mil, league least 64mil, top team 84mil, difference top to bottom 20mil

MLS, league minium 70g, cap est 6-8mil, league least 6 mil, top team 20+mil, difference top to bottom 14mil 

Sure seems like MLS "parity" salary cap is way out of whack compared to NHL.  

Edited by Bison44

39 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Just a quick look, but top spending team Leafs==84mil, bottom is jets 64mil (17 mil cap space).  Cap is 82mil so, bottom teams using almost 80% of cap space, top teams at cap

NHL league minimium 700g, cap at 82mil, league least 64mil, top team 84mil, difference top to bottom 20mil

MLS, league minium 70g, cap est 6-8mil, league least 6 mil, top team 20+mil, difference top to bottom 14mil 

Sure seems like MLS "parity" salary cap is way out of whack compared to NHL.  

MLS salary cap in 2018 was actually $4.035 million. That doesn't include a lot of things, like the bottom few players on the roster, and all the DP/TAM/GAM overspending that is allowed.

Highest paid team in 2018 was TFC with $26,167,498.69. Lowest paid was Houston with $5,673,471.62.

The cap doesn't ensure parity, and it no longer prevents reckless spending. All it does is make teams inefficient with their money, make the roster rules unknowable for fans, and no doubt cause awkward situations where some players are making literally 50+ times more money than some of their teammates.

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

MLS salary cap in 2018 was actually $4.035 million. That doesn't include a lot of things, like the bottom few players on the roster, and all the DP/TAM/GAM overspending that is allowed.

Highest paid team in 2018 was TFC with $26,167,498.69. Lowest paid was Houston with $5,673,471.62.

The cap doesn't ensure parity, and it no longer prevents reckless spending. All it does is make teams inefficient with their money, make the roster rules unknowable for fans, and no doubt cause awkward situations where some players are making literally 50+ times more money than some of their teammates.

Especially when it's not warranted like Michael Bradley's case. I can't believe both him and Altidore were re-signed for those wages. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kent said:

If you set the cap at 26 million TFC would spend it all and Houston would put themselves out of business trying to keep up. 

Or

When the free spending clubs become more efficient with their cap space, you'll see the Houstons get left behind in the dust. There goes your parity.

The question is whether fans are willing to stay loyal. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Especially when it's not warranted like Michael Bradley's case. I can't believe both him and Altidore were re-signed for those wages. 

Bradley’s on the final year of his original contract.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I was using 2019 numbers, TFC shaved a big chunk off by losing Giovinco to 21mil, and whitecaps are bottom now with just over 6mil.  

Yeah. My original purpose was to point out you were over shooting on the cap, but I couldn’t find the 2019 number. Then I was able to find the top spending team for 2019 but not the lowest.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Well, I'm pretty sure he's going to get re-signed for stupid money like Altidore since TFC management has been subverted by his ilk. 

At most a TAM-level amount but never a DP. Curtis is not an idiot.

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Well, I'm pretty sure he's going to get re-signed for stupid money like Altidore since TFC management has been subverted by his ilk. 

How confident are you in this assertion?

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Boy what a tedious thread.

I thought Borges defending and working hard, tactically very precise, pressing high then dropping, in the 2nd half of the game yesterday, was very impressive. He is a rather complete player.

I too have been really impressed by Borges’ whole game. The on-the-ball offensive side has been evident for much of the season, but his work rate off the ball, particularly defensively, has been a pleasant surprise. It was really evident during the home leg vs Antigua, and as you’ve said, continued in the away leg. 

Edited by maccaliam

I know most people are against CPL all star games, but boy would it be a treat to see Pasquotti and Borges on opposite wings. 

32 minutes ago, Reign said:

I know most people are against CPL all star games, but boy would it be a treat to see Pasquotti and Borges on opposite wings. 

Playing hard to win an important match...I mean coasting to not get injured in a meaningless match that NOBODY cares about.

Yeah, what a treat! 😂

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Playing hard to win an important match...I mean coasting to not get injured in a meaningless match that NOBODY cares about.

Yeah, what a treat! 😂

There is definitely ways to make a all star game meaningful. Especially for the players. You don’t think scouts from the European teams that play against the MLS all stars watch that game, to see how they stack up against higher quality ? 

Also kids love all star games. It’s an easy way to continue growing fandom.

8 hours ago, Reign said:

There is definitely ways to make a all star game meaningful. Especially for the players. You don’t think scouts from the European teams that play against the MLS all stars watch that game, to see how they stack up against higher quality ? 

Also kids love all star games. It’s an easy way to continue growing fandom.

Dont poke the bear.....its the same as asking are CPL teams  clubs or franchises?? Or playoff system vs regular season champ, or coke vs pepsi, mcd vs burger king.  Never going to change the other guys mind, everyone is entrenched in their own opinion.  

Borges continued his really productive season with 2 more goals to tie the Golden Boot race again.  

He looks like the most dangerous attacker in the CPL.  Do we think he has an international transfer lined up for next season?

Objectively what is the potential of a player like him?  

58 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Borges continued his really productive season with 2 more goals to tie the Golden Boot race again.  

He looks like the most dangerous attacker in the CPL.  Do we think he has an international transfer lined up for next season?

Objectively what is the potential of a player like him?  

Oliver Platt, who I criticized earlier for being boring and basic, made a great point about his first touch and receptiveness.  His touch is a level above the majority of players in MLS/CPL and he shapes himself in a way where he is always dangerous upon receiving the ball.  Great instincts.