Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Don’t be to optimistic now. Ballou I could see this happening to but not Millar imo. Because while ballou had a horrible loan spell with albacate, Millar on the other hand received high praise from the kilmarnock supporters for his play during his loan. To write either guy off so early in their career because they haven’t had first team minutes with Liverpool or Barcelona is pretty stupid. 

Easssy no one is writing any of these guys careers off. 

Im just simply saying they're not going to play for Barca or Liverpool first team, regardless of preseason cameos. I mean no offense to either player (or their parents), its just the reality of these big clubs. Rub this in my face, say Im confused when it doesn't happen. 

But at the European Champions there's Firmino, Salah, Mane, Origi, Chamberlain, Lallana already there... on top of that there will be more signings. Then there's academy products like Brewster who's getting Klopp praise/assertions and Kent who had a great (better than Liam, at a better club) season on loan at Rangers and got praise from the fans, and coached by Liverpool legend. 

So both Millar and Tabla will end up on loan..to where God knows. But if its back to the SPL, and Borges gets another crack at Holland in the Eredivise for example... I'm giving that kid a look. 

@Shortdutchcanuck thank you for explaining my point exactly.

Edit: To add I think there's a level of an infinity towards Millar because his dad is "one of us". I can never question his thoughts or beliefs towards his son, because all comments are solely based on him alone....but some of yall seem like you're looking for his acceptance... that aint your daddy. We have several "sons" who we all want to see successful in their club careers and for Canada. 

Edited by Shway

@Shway The thing is you are writing off Tabla and Millar as they are never going to make their clubs rosters. Then in the same note arguing that Borges shouldn’t be written off of Canada’s because he is young and has time. So do Tabla and Millar for their teams. 

Posted (edited)

Tristan Borges is 20 years old and really fits the profile of a player who is overlooked at young age because his physical structure needs time to catch up to his talent. 

I'm not comparing him to anyone else because that's not the point. I think he's a fantastic player who clearly has lots of time to get even better. I'd take him right now over 50% of the domestic talent in the MLS but he's not a fullback. Thank god for the CPL

Edited by SpursFlu

57 minutes ago, Reign said:

@Shway The thing is you are writing off Tabla and Millar as they are never going to make their clubs rosters. Then in the same note arguing that Borges shouldn’t be written off of Canada’s because he is young and has time. So do Tabla and Millar for their teams. 

Reread what i wrote. And then quote the part where I wrote their careers off. I just dont think they'll get first team minutes in the regular season for Barca or Liverpool. 

The three are all in the same age bracket... Lets see what the football God's will decide in 2-3yrs.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Im just simply saying they're not going to play for Barca or Liverpool first team, regardless of preseason cameos. I mean no offense to either player (or their parents), its just the reality of these big clubs. Rub this in my face, say Im confused when it doesn't happen. 

But at the European Champions there's Firmino, Salah, Mane, Origi, Chamberlain, Lallana already there... on top of that there will be more signings. Then there's academy products like Brewster who's getting Klopp praise/assertions and Kent who had a great (better than Liam, at a better club) season on loan at Rangers and got praise from the fans, and coached by Liverpool legend. 

So both Millar and Tabla will end up on loan..to where God knows. But if its back to the SPL, and Borges gets another crack at Holland in the Eredivise for example... I'm giving that kid a look. 

Edit: To add I think there's a level of an infinity towards Millar because his dad is "one of us". I can never question his thoughts or beliefs towards his son, because all comments are solely based on him alone....but some of yall seem like you're looking for his acceptance... that aint your daddy. We have several "sons" who we all want to see successful in their club careers and for Canada. 

It's weird that you're so sure that a guy like Millar or Ballou has no chance of ever making the Liverpool or Barcelona  first team but a guy like Borges who's doing great in the CPL is destined for greatness for Canada. Both of them are great players with insane amounts of talent (Borges to) and to think they have no chance to play at a higher lever than the SPFL or the Spanish Second Division is stupid and you just being pessimistic. I don't get your aversion towards Millar, as you seemed the need to point out he in your opinion wasn't that good during the Gold Cup as well. As for the second part that's just stupid you can question whether Millar is as good as some think on the board but you seem to for whatever reason want him to fail. I have no problem towards his dad and rate his son so I'm not going to talk **** and insult them. If Millar ***** up while playing for Canada I'm going to say something, if I don't think he should be called to a camp for whatever reason I'll say something, but I'm not going to say **** about him for the sake of talking ****.

5 hours ago, Shway said:

Firstly stop talking about me in the third person. Seriously.

And stop putting words in other people’s mouths. U obv have  either a problem with me or Liam.  Not sure why or care. 

Just try to not focus all ur player comparisons with Liam(and tabla). It’s seems to be your thing. I can list examples...

Tristan and Liam are actually good friends  they player together in the u20 qualifying Liam thinks Tristan is a top player...

Liam like all the other players is on a journey each specific to them and we will see where they go. Support them all and really hope for the best because honestly I don’t think anyone who’s not in it knows how hard it really is and how small the margins are...  

No one treats me different. I just try to provide some personal insight and Info on my lad. If u notice I don’t comment ( try not to) on other players performance or route.

It’s people like you that want me to pull back again.. but I won’t because I like it here and the amazing community and history we are building. 

Anyway....  more to the point this CPL season has been great for Borges.

I think that along with Zator he has been the among best players in the league this year.

I suspect that he will get a chance to go to a bigger league this offseason if he can win the Golden Boot or continue to challenge for it.  Maybe a mid tier Dutch or Belgium team.  

If that happens he will be a major story for the league in terms of developing players who fall through the cracks.  Certainly he looks like a diamond found in the rough right now.

13 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I suspect that he will get a chance to go to a bigger league this offseason if he can win the Golden Boot or continue to challenge for it.  Maybe a mid tier Dutch or Belgium team.

Why not an MLS team? Canadians would actually be able to see him play.

41 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Why not an MLS team? Canadians would actually be able to see him play.

Wouldnt he be considered a INT payer (for 88% of MLS) and have all that stigma and roster restrictions etc??  Or has all that been relaxed?  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Wouldnt he be considered a INT payer (for 88% of MLS) and have all that stigma and roster restrictions etc??  Or has all that been relaxed?  

Think it depends on where he spent his youth. 

Yeah, something about being with an approved academy etc, and then signing first pro contract with MLS or affiliate.  Somehow I dont think Borges is going to qualify, even with MLS ever morphing, murky, convoluted roster rules.  Unless its LA or Atlanta that want to sign him, then he'll miraculously be domestic for some reason.  

23 hours ago, Reign said:

Yeah Borges is very good. Probably won’t ever see meaningful minutes for Canada due to his competition at his position unfortunately. Although who knows maybe he will get some games in against weaker opponents.

I can see him getting a start in the Nation's League if he keeps it up.

If not, a call up at the very least. 

4 hours ago, spitfire said:

Firstly stop talking about me in the third person. Seriously.

I do that because it's not your fault, but I'll address you directly now. 

And stop putting words in other people’s mouths. U obv have  either a problem with me or Liam.  Not sure why or care. 

Reread the thread, I never put words in anyone's mouth, im just spitting fire - actualistic conversation from a non-biased perspective. That no one has yet to respond to. We all do it for every other player, do I have to find Godinhos dad and tell him to create an account to be a "Voyageur"? ... I have nothing towards Millar, my perspective is solely towards are you playing first team ball and secondly where is it? We have a lot of uncovered gems outside the ones who have access to a UK\EU passport to get even a sniff of an opportunity at these clubs and will end up likely in L1O or CPL. We seen it with Joshua Doughty at Man U. That being at a prestigious youth academy doesn't mean you'll make it to the first team. We rest on the laurels, get excited on these kids being at big clubs, when it's rare in modern football that these kids go on to play meaningful first team football. Simply put, all semantics aside - are you playing first team football!? Where should you be on the CMNT depth chart? 

Just try to not focus all ur player comparisons with Liam(and tabla). It’s seems to be your thing. I can list examples...

List them. These comparisons come up based on comparative conversations, so im sorry if I bit the bait. I can list examples.... This is one(go check)....

But in this case its in regards to the four to five talked about youngsters in the national team. 1. Davies - tore up MLS as a 17yo, 2. Tabla - made some noise as a 18yo in MLS, 3. David - surprise, surprise after Toulon, tearing it up in Belgium as an 18/19 yo in Belgium...and number 4. Millar - experienced SPL first team minutes in  2019 5. Cyle Larin - started of his campaign strong and ended weak in Europe after a promising start to his career,. 

Tristan and Liam are actually good friends  they player together in the u20 qualifying Liam thinks Tristan is a top player...

This is irrelevant, nobody said there was any vendetta between the two player's. 

Liam like all the other players is on a journey each specific to them and we will see where they go. Support them all and really hope for the best because honestly I don’t think anyone who’s not in it knows how hard it really is and how small the margins are...

I do understand, I've never slightly underestimated the commitment as a player, never mind the parents - kudos to you for giving your son the opportunity to live out his dreams, and to him for taking it seriously. Sincerely.

No one treats me different. I just try to provide some personal insight and Info on my lad. If u notice I don’t comment ( try not to) on other players performance or route.

Everyone appreciates it, I do too. Sincerely. But like @El Hombre said, it takes you nothing to get like of the day.... and it's because of who you are, and the info you provide to the community. Which we all appreciate it. So don't pull back please. 

It’s people like you that want me to pull back again.. but I won’t because I like it here and the amazing community and history we are building. 

If you want to hold back on sharing yours sons plans, no one would fault you for that. You may feel like I have something towards you or your son - but I genuinely don't. I wish you knew me to understand that. Yes I spend to much time on here, but my life's filled with the love of football, and seeing every Canadian player successful. In my support I have the ability to assess and comment on their successes/areas for improvement which (IMO) would be beneficial to the success of the Canadian program. 

Like a lot of our elite young talent - Borges is quality, and hes just a transfer/opportunity a way from him being in the same place as the rest of them and being a statement for the CPL. 

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Anyway....  more to the point this CPL season has been great for Borges.

I think that along with Zator he has been the among best players in the league this year.

If that happens he will be a major story for the league in terms of developing players who fall through the cracks.  Certainly he looks like a diamond found in the rough right now.

Yes, yes,yes - thank you. 

If not the senior team, I'm excited to see what he'll do with the U23s. 

48 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I can see him getting a start in the Nation's League if he keeps it up.

If not, a call up at the very least. 

Against Cuba I guess you could maybe do that. He should not be any where near the roster against the USA. 

15 hours ago, Reign said:

The senior appearance argument is a weak one when they plays for some of the best clubs in the world. 

Is it? Ballou is the only international on Barcelona B, and the only other international on Liverpool U23 plays for Guyana. 

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

@Shway what are you on about? :lol:

Anyway, let's get the discussion back to Borges and how well the lad is playing! If you want to talk about other talented young Canadian footballers head to their threads...

Check again, I didn't start the derail. 

8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Is it? Ballou is the only international on Barcelona B, and the only other international on Liverpool U23 plays for Guyana. 

That is completely besides the point. In order for them to get first team football they have to make the first team. Why does internationals on their reserve teams matter ? Liverpool/Barca first teams are full of internationals.

21 hours ago, Shway said:

Tabla does not play for FCB, is not signed to them, so would not be loaned out by them. He has one more year of contract at Barça B, who could loan him if they both agree to a deal---but agree that both Millar and Tabla need minutes, and both would benefit from starting a season at a 2nd tier team (or MIllar in SPL), where they can be part of a team and its system from day one). 

9 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think you better check your facts there. In any case, there are 8-9 internationals, including one that, albeit signed recently, played in Copa America. For a start....

Borges has shown he deserves an opportunity at a higher level. Let's hope the Canadian Premier League and Sigma/Forge have the connections and credibility to move him to a good situation.  

A call up against Cuba would be good, to get him in the shop window and build his confidence.  

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think you better check your facts there. In any case, there are 8-9 internationals, including one that, albeit signed recently, played in Copa America. For a start....

That's just what transfermarkt tells me. I'm curious which players they missed though?

Again, this wasn't meant to be a comparison of players and their current levels. I simply disagree with the assertion that a player like Borges will never feature for the national team due to the talent Canada has at his position. He's 20. Who knows where he'll end up in his career. 

24 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

That's just what transfermarkt tells me. I'm curious which players they missed though?

Again, this wasn't meant to be a comparison of players and their current levels. I simply disagree with the assertion that a player like Borges will never feature for the national team due to the talent Canada has at his position. He's 20. Who knows where he'll end up in his career. 

There is a Mali international defender that plays for Barca B. Can't recall his name, but he's born 1998 and has 12 or 13 caps for his country. 

That said I think/hope Borges gets into the full national team. This kid is extremely talented and it's only a matter of time I think. 

At the very least, he'll be a big part of the U-23 team this fall and I would bet money on him having a massive impact for us.