Tristan Borges

SCF08

The Jong Heerenveen homepage:

https://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/jong-sc-heerenveen

They are in Pool A of the Dutch Reserve League. 3-1-1 in 5 league games (13 GF/7 GA) and beat Waalwijk 4-0 in a Cup game. The players listed are between 18-20 (GK is 21)...shit, looking at the match reports it looks like Borges h started as the #10, but since the 3rd match was moved to LB.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:41 PM, jpg75 said:

The Jong Heerenveen homepage:

https://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/jong-sc-heerenveen

They are in Pool A of the Dutch Reserve League. 3-1-1 in 5 league games (13 GF/7 GA) and beat Waalwijk 4-0 in a Cup game. The players listed are between 18-20 (GK is 21)...shit, looking at the match reports it looks like Borges h started as the #10, but since the 3rd match was moved to LB.

Why is that bad?  While CMNT needs a great AM, the best players coming out of the Eredivisie in recent years are defenders.  Most Eredivisie teams focus on forward thinking defenders who excel at the side pass - which means they can slot into most modern coaches' systems.  Learning a flexible position in a league that develops quality defenders may not be so bad  for Borges or CMNT.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can’t wait to see him play in the Toulon Tournament. I hope all Canada’s weapons will be there! That roster better be the best we have not some bs MLS  Academy token roster. We have a great chance to showcase our talent to Europe. It’s gonna open more doors for Canadian players if we do well in tournaments like these. 

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
12 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

He's doing great. Honestly, CPL could very well end up saving the careers of many  talented young players like him, give them a chance to show what they can do when no one else is willing to.

Yes watching him play so far he has been one of the most promising looking young players in the CPL. Still find it strange that after looking like he was doing really well with the Heerenveen reserves he suddenly left and came back to play with Sigma in League 1 Ontario last summer in 2018. Oh well Heerenveen’s loss is Forge FC’s and the CPL’s gain the kid can definitely play from the looks of it so far.

Edited by SoccMan

• 2 months later...

Saw Borges in person for the first time today - game against Pacific FC. He was easily the best player on the field. He generates offense every time he touches the ball. He was dangerous in the first half. Second half he scored two goals and set up the Forge's third.

Plays left mid but drifts in centrally as well as taking it wide. His touches are excellent, he can beat players one-on-one, his passing is inch-perfect and his finishing is clinical. He also works hard defensively. This guy is MLS starter quality and the best player in CPL (or at least one of the best). 

Yeah Borges is very good. Probably won’t ever see meaningful minutes for Canada due to his competition at his position unfortunately. Although who knows maybe he will get some games in against weaker opponents.

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Yeah Borges is very good. Probably won’t ever see meaningful minutes for Canada due to his competition at his position unfortunately. Although who knows maybe he will get some games in against weaker opponents.

I find it hard to predict the future given players in his position are still being capped before ever making a senior club appearance. How would Borges stack up against a player like Liam Millar if they were both brought into camp?

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I find it hard to predict the future given players in his position are still being capped before ever making a senior club appearance. How would Borges stack up against a player like Liam Millar if they were both brought into camp?

Liam is as of now way ahead of borges

45 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Liam is as of now way ahead of borges

As a footballer, or on our depth chart? Admittedly, I haven’t watched enough of either player to fairly assess their abilities, but comparing the two players was never really my point. I just find it surprising that anyone would write off a kids national team future at 20, in the middle of a breakout season. 

Edited by Aird25

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Also the guys ahead of him in my above post would all destroy the cpl. The senior appearance argument is a weak one when they plays for some of the best clubs in the world. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Davies - Bayern Munich

Ballou Tabla - Barcelona 

Liam Millar - Liverpool 

It will be very hard for him to break in at LW. You are right tho. It isn’t impossible for him to work his way into that group. 

Only 1 of these guys actually play for the first team, and sparingly. 

The reality is Millar and Tabla will soon end up playing first team minutes for way lower tier teams than they're currently at. 

Borges only being 20, will deserve a look at some point if he continues his play. 

U23 team will be the start. 

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

The reality is Millar and Tabla will soon end up playing first team minutes for way lower tier teams than they're currently at. 

Borges only being 20, will deserve a look at some point if he continues his play. 

Don’t be to optimistic now. Ballou I could see this happening to but not Millar imo. Because while ballou had a horrible loan spell with albacate, Millar on the other hand received high praise from the kilmarnock supporters for his play during his loan. To write either guy off so early in their career because they haven’t had first team minutes with Liverpool or Barcelona is pretty stupid. 

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

Millar became a fan favourite for Kilmarnock, and was getting high praise from teams such as Celtic during his loan spell. He is also younger then Borges. Not to mention he is playing for Liverpool as we speak during a pre season game.

Tabla has struggled since leaving the MLS, but right there he was a MLS player so at the same age as Borges has already played at a higher level. 

So Millar and Tabla are both ahead of Borges at the same age or younger. 

57 minutes ago, Reign said:

Millar became a fan favourite for Kilmarnock, and was getting high praise from teams such as Celtic during his loan spell. He is also younger then Borges. Not to mention he is playing for Liverpool as we speak during a pre season game.

Tabla has struggled since leaving the MLS, but right there he was a MLS player so at the same age as Borges has already played at a higher level. 

So Millar and Tabla are both ahead of Borges at the same age or younger. 

Agreed but I think what @Shway is saying is not that Borges is on par at this age but that it is still too early to tell when a guy is just 20 where his career might end up.  If CanPL can springboard Tristan back to Holland or to Belgium or Portugal at 21 or 22 who know what he might achieve?

One thing he needs to work on is consistency as he has drifted out of certain games completely.  But with his composure on the ball, finishing, and ability to buy himself time and transition seamlessly from receiving the ball to either attacking the defender or making an incisive pass, I don't see why he couldn't be successful in a higher, more technical league.

So he is down the depth chart but to rule him out at 20 is silly.