Posted (edited)

I'd love it If Borges starts to see regular minutes in the Belgian First division, not only will he be making a strong argument to be called up legitimately play for the CMNT, it would be the, IMO, the first concrete case of the CanPL serving it's purpose, giving Canadian players a chance when no one else will. It would be quite the accomplishment story if Borges finds himself back in the CMNT mix with a revived club career due to his decision to go back to CPL. He is still only 21 and has so much room to grow and improve still, and I'm confident that even during these times, just training with OH Leuven has possibly done more to further move along his development.

Edited by LeoH037

OH Leuven lose 4-1 to Beerschot and 5-1 on aggregate in a series that means little since they both go up.  Borges did not make the bench and I haven't seen his name pop up at all in their friendlies leading up to this.  Not sure if he is injured or just having a tough time breaking into the 18.  Hoping he puts his head dowb and keeps working hard and manages to impress enough to win some minutes in the top flight next year.

30 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Anyone know why he's not playing at all for Leuven? He's not even making the bench.

If he's not injured, then there's a rather obvious reason.

17 minutes ago, Buchta said:

Not good enough?

Yup. He was underwhelming compared to guys who are struggling to find minutes in similar leagues at the last national camp.

Posted (edited)

The frustrating part of this saga is Peter Galindo had an article looking at Borges #s and stats for Leuven and they were pretty good considering his minutes. New coach though has frozen him out. So it's not even a case of him being underwhelming prior to the coaching change.

Edited by VinceA

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

The frustrating part of this saga is Peter Galindo had an article looking at Borges #s and stats for Leuven and they were pretty good considering his minutes. New coach though has frozen him out. So it's not even a case of him being underwhelming prior to the coaching change.

We don't know what's happening in training or his current fitness level...

Did Leuvin sign a bunch of better players during the offseason in his position or something? Seems weird that he’d be brought in, see minutes almost right away, then completely vanish. 

7 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Did Leuvin sign a bunch of better players during the offseason in his position or something? Seems weird that he’d be brought in, see minutes almost right away, then completely vanish. 

Coaching change i believe 

The U23 team should be his coming out party/put up or shut up moment for me. He should be the one of the top runners for that RW side, also he can play all over. Unless someone like Dominik Yankov or Ferdi Kadioglu comes over. The top three should be ( no particular order) - Twardek, Buchanan, Borges. 

7CA7DB33-4BE2-4A00-BB20-FF6A03FA67B2.jpeg