New CSL Match Fixing Allegations

Dub Narcotic

Can someone please explain to me how this can make anyone significant money?  Why on earth are bookies taking bets on this league?  Or is some website just searching the internet for leagues, found the CSL, found someone to provide odds, and then the whole system just got automated and no one realized the matches were fixed until it was too late?

It is an unsanctioned rogue league. They can operate if they want to. I don't think the players of the CSL are too concerned with the fact national team eligibility goes out the window when you're a player in this league. 

I thought it would be more about the the match officials and administrators being banned from any football activities that fall under the CSA umbrella including, but not limited to, cross-border tournaments under the USSF which require CSA approval.

Oh, and how much does it take before any and all talk of this rouge league is banned from this site?

As the site for "Canadian Soccer Supporters" our continued tolerance of this criminal organization is shameful. Every post here about their league and the games played is condoning illegal behaviour by a league that CANNOT contribute to the National Team. 

Oh, and how much does it take before any and all talk of this rouge league is banned from this site?

As the site for "Canadian Soccer Supporters" our continued tolerance of this criminal organization is shameful. Every post here about their league and the games played is condoning illegal behaviour by a league that CANNOT contribute to the National Team. 

You're right. We shouldn't bother with operations that serve very little purpose in the Canadian pyramid.

The biggest issue in dealing with this embarrassment is that there are no clear-cut enforceable laws on match-fixing in Canada. As the article states, the RCMP regard the fraud being committed as a "Victimless Crime", and friends of mine who are lawyers told me that a case like this would be difficult to prosecute.

So, if we want a project, I would suggest approaching whoever wins the election on Monday with this problem and asking them to kindly and quietly create some match-fixing legislation that would create a deterrent. That's the only way this gets stopped.

“In the experience of the ICSS, the CSL has become a type of ‘rogue league’ that has not been seen before.”  Harsh

It's not harsh because as I understand it we do not have the legal tools to shut them down.  Other places do.

This is NOT just soccer.

It's probably all fixed, and I mean all of it.  This goes way deeper and further than anyone actually wants to know.

Victimless crime?  Except for the poor sap betting who doesn't have the inside info!

Bookies are taking bets because despite the irregular patterns, they're probably still making a profit off of it.  The whole league is a sham, but I don't think banning discussion of it will help - it is, after all, a Canadian soccer league, even if it's bent to f*ck.

This goes right to the top mind you, Declan Hill has written about the match-fixing problems all the way to the World Cup.  Cameroon were almost certainly bent in that big defeat to Brazil down there.

I know someone from Niagara who posted on social media that they were playing a game in Waterloo and they knew the other team was fixing the match so they were trying to score an own goal while the OTHER team lined up on Niagara's goal line and tried to prevent one.  The post has since been deleted.  Edit: I just read one of the posted articles and they are referring to the same person, I won't post his name because it seems he doesn't want to be mentioned.

It's from the match that CDNFootballer posted:

"Sunday night’s game against Niagara United at Budd Park was deemed pretty much meaningless after the York Region Shooters won earlier in the day.  SC Waterloo and Niagara played a testy match, which saw four red cards handed out before the referee called the game in the 65th minute with the score tied 2-2."  This wasn't a testy match...

I'm sure whoever is profiting from all of this has lawyers involved to keep it hush hush 

Where are the law enforcement officials in all of this?  The players taking these bribes are criminals, plain and simple.  

The fix sure looks like it was in on the first goal of these highlights :

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/sports/sc-waterloo-ends-csl-season-with-draw-1.2595759

I don't buy it.

I mean, if bribed you'd suspect the players to at least try to make it look real. This is just comedy (or an insanely low level of soccer). How come it is even televised?

I am going to speculate, but the goalie (for the first goal) can't be the normal goalie.  He has to be an emergency replacement....?  Or a replacement for a goalie that was sent off?? 

Regardless, if this is supposed to be a high level of soccer, then I would assume the players would be fit.  The keeper's physique reminds me of a beer league player.  At the same time, beer league defenders likely show more hustle then those defenders did.

Who exactly is betting on unsanctioned 4th division level Canadian soccer? I can't even conceive of someone betting on a sanctioned USL game, yet alone this. How is this even remotely a thing? It strikes me that the only people who would make such bets would be more likely to be involved in money laundering then actual profit from fixing.

I think the fixing is more likely that a owner or someone in this league is showing of nepotism and "helping" out family, though some bizarre case of ego running a dead end league.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Hammer that money laundering is one of the best explanations.

In normal betting with fixing, you need a base of people betting on what they believe is a legit competition. They are the ones that make is worth a legit betting company to carry the competition, where the money is made; and they allow for the odds to be set, as the odds are based on bets placed. If only fixers are betting, then the odds are entirely in their favor, 1:1, and they'd make no money.

This is where laundering makes more sense. If you have a million dollars from drugs or smuggling, how do you launder it? You can't cleanly, you have to pay for it to happen, and one of the best ways is to win a quantity you did not have, to launder by "luck". I have heard of lottery winners being offered up to 50% of winnngs for the ticket, here in Spain, ie, your ticket wins 300,000, you get offered 450 grand for it (in the Xmas lottery here you know what towns or neighbourhoods have split winnings) . And then you take the cash and you don't tell anyone, you have the problem, and the launderer then has 300,000 legal funds, he's a lucky guy.

This would work similarly, so the launderer would bet for all options on the match, win, lose, draw, creating a simulacrum of legit betting and keeping the betting company interested. Or, likewise, paying off the betting company to list the game. Once the league has legit odds, others might bet on it, drawing in outside funds. And so the launderer can fix, altering the result to get part of the betted money to be winning, but not all. Part of it is lost as the cost of keeping the bets going, by creating an image of legit odds or bribing the betting company. And part goes to the players who were in collusion.

Archived