Coramoor

Doneil Henry

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Or South Korea

South Korea don't really challenge as much these days. Seems China has surpassed them as of late. At least, that's the impression I get.

Edited by Colliedor

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

China has strict foreign rule. I think 3 or 4 players

True.

Vancouver did go to Korea a few years back, however Henry wasn't there. They also played a few Japanese friendlies, mostly lower tier, but they did play against Sapporo. So there is a possibility I guess that a Korean or Japanese team were keeping track of those friendly matches.

Edited by Colliedor

If it’s the Chinese Super League we can at least watch him on One Soccer.

Japan or Korea would be good destinations. I hope it is not a club in the Middle East.

I think it is going to be China. Just a feeling. And If so it is somewhat of a lateral move. The league is perhaps slightly weaker, but there is Champions League to make up for it. Being in a big club is important also.

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

What is it about Doneil that makes him a target for secret transfers? Remember when he played half a season with TFC after being sold to a Cypriot team without anyone knowing?

His agent was (possibly still is) Kia Joorabchian.  Dude is shady.  Manager bungs, third party ownership breaches, the Tevez/Mascherano scandal etc. etc.

10 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

His agent was (possibly still is) Kia Joorabchian.  Dude is shady.  Manager bungs, third party ownership breaches, the Tevez/Mascherano scandal etc. etc.

So Saudia Arabia it is lol

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Hey finally one of our guys turning some good play into a pay day!!  And maybe the Whitecaps will fill their coffers too.  I've always enjoyed watching Doneil since he was 18 with TFC so long ago.  

Wasn't he out of contract and renegotiating terms to stay? I don't know how the option to renew works, especially if its not amicable on both sides. Can't see the whitecaps getting much, maybe enough to fill their coffee cups.

14 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Wasn't he out of contract and renegotiating terms to stay? I don't know how the option to renew works, especially if its not amicable on both sides. Can't see the whitecaps getting much, maybe enough to fill their coffee cups.

Ouch...thats cold.....

58 minutes ago, toontownman said:

There seems to be this myth that club options are some exclusive MLS ******** mechanism. Club options exist all over the world. If the Whitecaps have exercised a legitimate club option in his contract for next season, they'll be able to negotiate a fair fee for Henry's transfer out. No fee, no transfer. Simple as that.

Crazy move. The caps had one position on the field that was solid and that was CB. Henry, Cornelius, Godoy, and the young foreign player who I can’t remember. 4 solid players who all should be competing. I don’t understand why a team with no lack of money needs to get rid of one of their only decent players. I sure hope Doneil doesn’t get screwed by this.

12 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Crazy move. The caps had one position on the field that was solid and that was CB. Henry, Cornelius, Godoy, and the young foreign player who I can’t remember. 4 solid players who all should be competing. I don’t understand why a team with no lack of money needs to get rid of one of their only decent players. I sure hope Doneil doesn’t get screwed by this.

Probably because he wanted to go and the club preferred not to keep him against his wishes for what would be a year at most. Or, they were offered a very good amount for him.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

What is it about Doneil that makes him a target for secret transfers? Remember when he played half a season with TFC after being sold to a Cypriot team without anyone knowing?

To buy a work permit, essentially.

7 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Just love that guy, filthy fingers in many a filthy pie.  But he's not an actual agent.  He just "advises" clubs and player as to their rights, or so he says.  Henry's agency is the YMU Group last I read.

Overall a shame I think, but if anyone knows how short a footballers career might be, it would be Doneil Henry. 

Hope the man gets a nice pay day at 26, should be an exciting experience for him. 

Also, not trying to be critical of VWC but I wonder if his desire to get off turf fields (not just Whitecaps, all of MLS turf fields) and play more games on grass played a minor role in him wanting to move.

Repeated play on turf can really take a toll on the knees, hammys and quads, especially if dealing with chronic or repeated injuries like he has. 

Wishing him the best.

Edited by apbsmith
Typo

10 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why? We don’t even know where he’s going yet.

I stopped flapping my hands around now. It's more than likely to do with how out of touch I am with the state of Asian soccer that I view it as a potential backwards step in terms of quality. 

Also its a case of seeing through rose-tinted specs that I see him as better than that. This isn't the same player that moved to Europe with promise and filled with potential when he moved to West Ham. I think I held hopes that the MLS move was just some time for him to rediscover fitness and form for another crack at a better league in Europe. The reality is that window has almost certainly passed and he will likely never become the player we had hopes for back then. He can still be a solid hand and grow, he is only just coming into his peak years as a CB. So I shouldn't be so negative. Even if it is a sideways or slightly backwards move, provided he is getting consistent minutes he will grow from the experience of a different environment and challenges.

I also agree that maybe this wasn't the Whitecaps preferred decision but could be his decision too. 

There are some very good clubs in Asia and decent leagues as well.  It's all going to depend where he ends up though.  In case anyone is wondering, 2 of the past 3 runners up at the FIFA Club World Cup have come from Asia (one from Japan & the other from UAE).  An MLS team has never even made a Club World Cup.  For CONCACAF, 3 Mexican clubs have finished 3rd as did Saprissa out of Costa Rica.

Historically moving to the Middle East or China/Japan was more for players near in the end of their careers.  As of late, much like the MLS this is not always the case as many quality Europeans & South Americans are making the move to these leagues in their primes.

Like I said, a lot will depend on where he ends up but an Asian Champions League team could be a slight step up and likely a increase in pay.  Would rather have seen him stay or move somewhere else in Europe but it might not be a negative move at all.  Time will tell.

In case anyone was wondering I just went and looked at the Club World Cup records over the past 15 tournaments.

Europe - 1st - 11 times / 2nd - 3 times / 3rd - 0 times / 4th - 1 time

South America - 1st - 4 times / 2nd - 8 times / 3rd - 4 times / 4th 0 times

Asia - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 2 times / 3rd - 5 times / 4th - 7 times

Africa - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 2 times / 3rd - 1 times / 4th - 2 times

CONCACAF - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 0 times / 3rd - 4 times / 4th - 5 times

Oceania - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 0 times / 3rd - 1 time / 4th - 0 times

Edited by Corazon