Josee Belanger in Sweden

tc-in-bc

Hope they keep progressing so I can see them in the Spring.  Marta scored and was taken out at half-time, 

Wolfsburg, Lyon, Barcelona, Chelsea, Rosengård, Brondby, Brøndby, Hjørring and Örebro all through unsurprisingly.

A good day for young Norwegians, Ada Hegerberg played the second half for Paris and scored two of their three and Caroline Graham Hansen scores in her first minute to help Wolfsburg shake off a dodgy 0-0 first leg with Spartak Subotica in Hungary.

The interesting results:

Liverpool out to Brescia on a second 0-1 loss despite outshooting them in both games and 18-7 in this game and out-cornering them 9-0.  Italian coaching...

Bayern stunningly out to Twente of the Netherlands on away goals.

Matheson and Wilkinson's alma mater Lillestrøm over Zurich in extra time.

• 1 month later...

[ 1 ] I think Josee Belanger deserves consideration for 2015 Canadian Woman Player of the Year . Though the year is not over, she’s had a lot of success in 2015. It began in January, at the Ba’on Cup,  when Josee Belanger  ran down  a long ball and was  taken down just inside the box by a Chinese defender.   Sinclair then scored  on the following penalty.  In March, Belanger scored a header goal against  the Matildas/Australia  ( this was an unofficial pre-Cyprus Cup scrimmage) . Josee Belanger would  then go on and get  two assists in the 2015 Cyprus Cup tournament.  In May,  Sophie Schmidt’s game winning goal against England ( the pre –WWC send off match in Hamilton ) came from a pass by Josee Belanger.  In June, Josee Belanger scored  the  game winning  goal against Switzerland  (a round-of-16  WWC match). In addition, she  filled in as a rightback for much of the tournament.  Then from August to November 2015, Belanger played for the  top Swedish side Rosengard in the Damallsvenskan.  Here she accumulated a very respectable 7 goals in 12 starts:  2 league goals, 1 domestic cup goal and 4 Champions League goals ( a hattrick against PK-35, and single goal against AGSM Verona CF).

It should be noted that the CANWNT still have 4 more games to play in December ( International Tournament of Natal, Brazil  )  and that  Christine Sinclair is CANWNT’s statistical leader in 2015 with 7 goals and 3 assists in 14 games played.

[ 2 ]   Because Belanger’s short contract with Rosengard is now complete it’s unclear what happens next for  her club-wise.  I would  have liked to see her continue playing with Rosengard into  the later rounds of UEFA Women’s Champions League.  Alternatively, I wouldn’t mind  if  the CSA  allocated Josee Belanger to the NWSL  in 2016 – in particular I think the Seattle Reign would be a good fit  --  the Reign are  missing a quality right wing option with the loss of Naho Kawasumi  at the end of 2014 NWSL season

[ 3 ] re. Hansen and Hegerberg:      Hansen showed some great moves in Wolfsburg's victory over Chelsea Ladies. And Hegerberg is scoring goals FOR FUN in 2015.  And both are only 20 years old !  So jealous for Norway.

It's funny, I was just thinking the same thing about Belanger.  But, I suspect it will be our "Christine Sinclair" of defenders that will win, especially now that she's nominated for the Ballon d'Or.  I think Buchanon will have plenty of chances to win in the future, so I'm hoping Belanger gets it while she still can.

• 1 year later...

[  1  ]  To me , one  moment that stands out  for Josee Belanger, which  goes way back to 2004, was when she scored the 118' overtime  winner for U 19 CANWNT  against the U 19 USWNT  to win the  2004 CONCACAF U 19 Women's Tournament.  It was header at the far post  from  a  40+ yard free kick by Kara Lang. Quite fantastic at the time.

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/2004/games/jun06.htm

[  2  ]  The Canada Soccer article about Belanger's retirement  mentions   " additional retirement announcements"  are coming  before CANWNT's friendly against Costa Rica:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-honours-recent-women-s-national-team-retirees-jos-e-b-langer-and-kaylyn-kyle--p160838-preview-1&language=en

So, I'll speculate/throw out  a name:  Jonelle Hopkins nee Filigno (  Jonelle Filigno Hopkins )

What stands out for me is the excitement watching her pretty much every time I saw her play.  She had that great French Canadian combative spirit and was a real joy to watch her combination of passion and drive.  She had a wonderful career with a lot of great moments when we needed someone to step up and she represented the country so well both as a player and a person.  First class act and true Canadian and Québécois.

Archived