Can Someone Explain To Me Why We're Getting All These New Bodies In #CanMNT?

Tuscan

I seriously don't get why suddenly we're having success calling all these players into the Nats. Why now? Why not four years ago when we needed them? What the fuck has changed??? I seriously don't get it. 

*Note: This is also a Twitter topic under #CanMNT

No no, see the flexibility of TIoJrH means it can continue even now that he's with the Nats. Now it can take yet another form as a thread to discuss things like his performances and how much he is influencing as he sees fit how the players express themselves through in-game IDEAS.

As I said in another thread I am calling it the "Bunbury/Tesho" effect.

Bunbury, much to my dismay, didn't carry on his dad's proud tradition of scoring goals for Canada. He chose to play for the USA and played 4 times. He has not got a call up since 2012. He's done. If he had chosen Canada he'd still be getting call ups and the exposure that goes with it.

Tesho decided to play for Canada (thank you very much!). He will be getting more call ups and the exposure that goes along with it. I really think we will look back in 10 years and view Tesho as THE ONE that got the ball rolling. He had choices and chose Canada. Other players see that and it influences them. Consciously or unconsciously it does factor in.

If a MLS rookie of the year thinks it's cool to play for Canada it must be cool. We can attract very good players who have options. That is the epic shift in perception that I see happening.

Bunbury, much to my dismay, didn't carry on his dad's proud tradition of scoring goals for Canada. He chose to play for the USA and played 4 times. He has not got a call up since 2012. He's done. If he had chosen Canada he'd still be getting call ups and the exposure that goes with it.

Tesho decided to play for Canada (thank you very much!). He will be getting more call ups and the exposure that goes along with it. I really think we will look back in 10 years and view Tesho as THE ONE that got the ball rolling. He had choices and chose Canada. Other players see that and it influences them. Consciously or unconsciously it does factor in.

If a MLS rookie of the year thinks it's cool to play for Canada it must be cool. We can attract very good players who have options. That is the epic shift in perception that I see happening.

I agree.  I have always said if we can get just one fence sitter to commit it could change everything.  Seems like Tesho has done that and it didn't take long.  The list continues to grow and we here of more guys saying " yeah, I would like to play for Canada".  I thank Tesho for getting the ball rolling.  Now lets see if they can quickly gel for the qualifiers.

I think it's Tesho and Larin.  You had Larin who is setting records in MLS committed to the program.  That makes it look easier for Tesho to play for us as well.  Then as soon as it looks like there's real quality there the fence sitters all start to fall like dominoes.

Either way our attacking options suddenly look so much more potent than 8 months ago.      A combination of Hoilett, Larin and Tesho up front is probably good enough to get to the World Cup , if not this cycle them next cycle.  It's a real turning point in the program.

Agree with all this. I think it's probably a number of factors, all aligning at relatively the same time:

I've always said it was Hargreaves who started the decade and a half of pain with respect the commitment of our players, but it seems that Tesho could turn out to be the anti-Hargreaves. MLS rookie of the year, chooses Canada; can't prove cause vs. effect, but it does seem to have been a turning point.

I also agree that Bunbury, and his opportunity lost, seems to have illustrated the potential down sides of going for personal glory. I think this probably was a factor as well.

Moreover, the impact of Bunbury and Tesho's decisions together was probably synergistic. The two had to (and still do) field questions regularly about their national team decisions, and generally in the context of the other's decision, which only serves to amplify the difference in the fortunes of the two.

Also, regardless of whether we sometimes debate his tactics or selections, I'm sure Floro does bring increased prestige and perceived professionalism to the program. This was sited by Tesho as one of the reasons for his choosing Canada. I really hope he starts delivering results soon though, as without them, this might not last.

The CSA looks like it's finally getting some administrative competence. I'm sure that doesn't hurt as well.

In summary, thank you Tesho, Floro, Montopoli, and in some weird twisted way... thank you Bunbury.

by new bodies I presume we're referring to Tesho, Hoilett and Aird??

the truth is none of these guys are good enough to play for their other teams. Tesho was never going to be a USMNT regular and Aird certainly wasnt going to get a call from Scotland anytime soon. Junior probably could have played for Jamaica (not England obviously) but they're isn't a huge gap between Jamaica and Canada anyway. 

Hey if we can get a guy like Arfield (who is right on the cusp of being called by Scotland) then I would say this is a legitimate argument. Or even the Canadian Messi who Chile is dying to cap tie.

by new bodies I presume we're referring to Tesho, Hoilett and Aird??

the truth is none of these guys are good enough to play for their other teams. Tesho was never going to be a USMNT regular and Aird certainly wasnt going to get a call from Scotland anytime soon. Junior probably could have played for Jamaica (not England obviously) but they're isn't a huge gap between Jamaica and Canada anyway. 

Hey if we can get a guy like Arfield (who is right on the cusp of being called by Scotland) then I would say this is a legitimate argument. Or even the Canadian Messi who Chile is dying to cap tie.

I think what OP was trying to state was why are all of these players coming all at once and not 4 years ago? Why did they finally choose to "settle" for Canada now of all times?

Don't know about 4 years ago but I think everyone around here has to admit the CSA has "grown up" quite a lot since the end of the Pipe era.  Still needs tonnes of work of course but they've been heading in the right direction and inching forward for more than a couple of years now.  It's a good thing when you can see your national association taking the game you love and live by, well, seriously.  How many generations of Canadian footballers can say they felt that way?

Just one factor in a whole soup of reasons, but to my mind, not an unimportant one. 

I agree with this. Bunbury has had 4 caps in 5 years. He could have had 10 times that with Canada. Akindele has 5 caps in 4 months. I think that these new players (Aird and Lefevre specifically) realize they could have a much more meaningful international career if they choose to suit up with Canada than with any other nation they are eligible for. Aird even said so himself in an interview with Molinaro recently:

"I did have that choice [to play for Scotland] and it was tough, but I just thought that maybe I had a better chance to play for Canada—making more appearances and getting into the first team quicker."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fraser-aird-canada-benito-floro-ghana-world-cup-rangers/

Also possible these players see qualifying from concacaf as easier than qualifying in other places. 

Aird can play and help canada right away while he would likely need to wait years to have a chance to help Scotland, who may have to go through a harder process to qualify. 

Archived