Dejan Jakovic

Ruffian

• 2 months later...
On 2015-10-03 at 10:24 AM, Addona said:

He is injured.  Was said to be out 6 weeks, I believe ... That was a few weeks ago.

Yeah he got injured for quite a few months... which is one reason why his club got relegated.

He just re-signed with Shimizu S-Pulse for another year though. Now in Japan's second division.

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Fussball_eh said:

Yeah he got injured for quite a few months... which is one reason why his club got relegated.

He just re-signed with Shimizu S-Pulse for another year though. Now in Japan's second division.

Where he will become the second Canadian ever to play J2. #trivianight 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

You mean like a starting-quality MLS Centre back, who never started from the bench when available?

He was pretty inconsistent though at DCU. Moved the ball well but susceptible to gaffs and being caught out of position. He wasn't exactly a rock at the back for DC which is likely why they transfered him. He has the skill to be better than he was at DCU though and certainly injuries have hurt him both at DCU and in Japan. He has played well for us recently so perhaps he has improved playing in Japan although the sample size is a bit small to tell.

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

He was pretty inconsistent though at DCU. Moved the ball well but susceptible to gaffs and being caught out of position. He wasn't exactly a rock at the back for DC which is likely why they transfered him. He has the skill to be better than he was at DCU though and certainly injuries have hurt him both at DCU and in Japan. He has played well for us recently so perhaps he has improved playing in Japan although the sample size is a bit small to tell.

It's true that he was inconsistent on the defensive end throughout the entirety of his DCU career, but at the same time he never lost his starting spot at any point in his 4 years with the club. They had some bad seasons, but also some good ones as well, going very deep into the playoffs one year. Throughout all of that, he was always a lock to start.

He also had a high salary cap hit, which is typical of starting-quality MLS centre backs (which he was by definition), but was he ever one of the top centre backs in the league? Never. Did he have that sort of potential? Absolutely. 

Either way, his transfer fo Shimizu and the J-league was a win-win for all parties. Jakovic got a new adventure out of it and took a small step up in the football world. DCU cleared salary cap room by getting rid of a player that probably wasn't worth over $300,000 a season. 

All of that being said, I certainly wouldn't say his play, experience or reputation in MLS was poor. I'd say at worst it was mixed. 

• 6 months later...

Unless I missed something - the mid-season update for Jakovic doesn't look too good, this Summer.

It appears that he's only played 90 minutes so far for his Japanese club (one game back in May), despite being fit enough to play both of our CMNT matches in Austria last month. Does anyone know if he has a nagging injury or is out-of-favour (I can't find anything offhand)? I'm not crazy about the idea of heading into our September matches with our main regular CB not being game fit. Hmm..?

5 hours ago, David C. said:

Unless I missed something - the mid-season update for Jakovic doesn't look too good, this Summer.

It appears that he's only played 90 minutes so far for his Japanese club (one game back in May), despite being fit enough to play both of our CMNT matches in Austria last month. Does anyone know if he has a nagging injury or is out-of-favour (I can't find anything offhand)? I'm not crazy about the idea of heading into our September matches with our main regular CB not being game fit. Hmm..?

he was injured, Shimizu S pulse english became poor at updating a bit so hard to keep track the last few months. He was on the bench though June 19.

3 hours ago, jordan said:

he was injured, Shimizu S pulse english became poor at updating a bit so hard to keep track the last few months. He was on the bench though June 19.

According to the lineups on Flashscore though that was his last appearance on the bench and their last 3 games he has not been on the bench. Hopefully he is on trial somewhere.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like Dejan Jakovic is considering retirement from the national team. Zambrano mentioned in this interview with Sportsnet that it is uncertain if WCQs are on the cards for both Jakovic and Hutchinson. He DOES say however that he is optimistic both of them might play at the Gold Cup.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/octavio-zambrano-canada-mens-team-soccer-concacaf-world-cup-gold-cup/

55 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sounds like they're future is up in the air, which we knew anyways about Hutchinson at least, but Jakovic is a bit of a surprise. Why specifically mention Dejan but not Nik? They are both the same age.

Jakovic is unatttached

Guessing he brought up Jakovic so much because he knew him from mls. Wasn't necessary as before talking about his national team future his issue is finding a team and keeping on playing. He's played 2 competitive club matches in the past 1 1/2 years and is turning 32. Needs to sign somewhere fast to get back in it, even if it's in usa d2.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Better than unattached FC I guess.

Better than J-2 I'd say, even when he did get the odd start. I also suspect he still has a lot of ties to that general part of the country, so probably a good personal move for him as well.

They probably offered him more than he'd get in MLS. When he left for Japan he was making about $300,000 a season and he probably didn't take a pay cut to play in J1.

We don't know what happened exactly at Shimizu, but I saw them play Gamba Osaka (one of the top teams in Japan) last November in the Emperor's Cup. He was next door in Korea with the national team that day, but I remember watching their centre backs from the stands and thinking "there must be more to Jakovic being frozen out than just football". Like I said, we don't know what happened, but with Shimizu getting relegated, perhaps he was on a high salary and they were trying to force him out?

At any rate, Cosmos have the highest wage bill in the league don't they? He is probably getting double what he was likely being offered in MLS (if there was an actual offer). 

Just looked at their squad:

3 Salvadorian internationals, 1 Kenyan international and 1 Venezuelan international. Javi Marquez has played over 150 matches in La Liga for Espanyol, Mallorca, Elche and Granada. Some may remember Brazilian born Amauri who was one-time capped by Italy and was best known for his time at Juventus. 

Not happy he dropped down to NASL, but he does look to be surrounded by a few decent players.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

At any rate, Cosmos have the highest wage bill in the league don't they? He is probably getting double what he was likely being offered in MLS (if there was an actual offer). 

They did, and went bust, and had to reform. I don't think the budget is anywhere near where it was last year or in previous years.

Archived