NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

16 hours ago, jordan said:

A guy who rarely got off the bench on the worst team in the Scottish Championship is unlikely to be a star

Here you could be wrong. Why would a Swedish third-tier goalgetter be any better than a former Canadian international? 

Marcus Haber is 30 in a few days and hasn't reached 60 career goals between club and country. He has never scored more than 12 goals in a season, and that was 10 years ago in USL. Marcus has actually only reached double digit scoring in a season 2 times in his career(12,10). As it stands he is not star material when you're talking about a striker. But with his build he could still have a big impact for a club, he will just have to find some sort of scoring form for me to consider him a star.

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

Marcus Haber is 30 in a few days and hasn't reached 60 career goals between club and country. He has never scored more than 12 goals in a season, and that was 10 years ago in USL. Marcus has actually only reached double digit scoring in a season 2 times in his career(12,10). As it stands he is not star material when you're talking about a striker. But with his build he could still have a big impact for a club, he will just have to find some sort of scoring form for me to consider him a star.

Geesh you are hard on a guy.  He got 9 goals in 27 games just 2 years ago in the scot premier league.  If we are supposed to be excited about Stphen Hoyle and the Swedish kid at York, why wouldnt Haber be considered a star??  He scored some beauts for Dundee over the years.  And it sounds like his wages werent very high so it wont be much of a pay cut.  Much more excited about that than some mid 30's chilean.  

19 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Geesh you are hard on a guy.  He got 9 goals in 27 games just 2 years ago in the scot premier league.  If we are supposed to be excited about Stphen Hoyle and the Swedish kid at York, why wouldnt Haber be considered a star??  He scored some beauts for Dundee over the years.  And it sounds like his wages werent very high so it wont be much of a pay cut.  Much more excited about that than some mid 30's chilean.  

I don't feel like i'm being hard on Marcus at all. Unless a striker is banging in goals at a rate of or close to 1 every 2 games I can't consider them a "star" striker. He may have scored a goal every 3 games 2 seasons ago, but this season he has scored 0 goals in 17 games in a lower division. For club he scores every 6th game, and country every 9th game on average. Those numbers just don't back up a star tag. Can't we just be excited at the prospect of him returning to Canada without giving him an unjustified star tag? 

On 1/2/2019 at 8:02 PM, Bison44 said:

If you watch him play, he does the right things. His movement is good, he can hold up, he is experienced. So he is not a top flight killer, fine. I don't even know if he has much of a shot.

I think if someone picks him up for CPL, depending of course how he is coached and the team is asked to play, he will be a bonus for the team. I just don't know if he'd want to go back to Canada so much to make 60 grand, which would be slim. I doubt he'd rate 70k the way we are hearing salaries line up. Maybe set him up with bonuses for performance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Check out @smfc’s Tweet:

Was just looking up Oliver Minatel's old club and saw this.  Looks like Ethan Gage is reviving his career a little in Australia. 

Apparently had a great Cup run with a lower league team and got noticed.  South Melbourne not in A League but one of the most storied and successful clubs in Australia historically and have been trying to get into A League for years.

Nice to see.  By all accounts he was an outstanding youth player we had very high hopes for.

Check out @smfc’s Tweet:

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this but read it in Spanish press today, small bit of Canada content.

Article related in English: https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/us-investors-take-over-spanish-2nd-division-club-reus

Edit just found the official statement: 

http://www.cfreusdeportiu.com/noticia/20190124230045

Quote: "14 players have been identified and invited to having interest from Division 1 or 2 and having relationships with the Onolfo family to come on free transfer or loan from US, UK, Romania, France and Canada."

The new American ownership group of Reus, a Spain 2nd division team, is trying to sort things out to save the club, the jist is they have not been paying and some players are able to get out of their contracts because of it, they are actually down to a pro squad of 12 plus reserve team. But in a statement today from the new owners, one of whom is Clifton Onolfo who owned USL 2 team Conneticut Wolves, they say they are ready to bring in 14 new players to replace those who have been freed of their contracts, including 1st and 2nd division players from US, UK, Canada and Romania.

So that got me thinking: who would be the Canadian or Canadians they are speaking of? 

Reus is a very modest club in a Catalan town with money down the road from Tarragona, also in 2nd,  but has a small stadium, not big enough to be in 2nd tier in principle. They were probably paying close to the minimum salary for Spanish 2nd, just under 90 thousand euros a year. The debt is not huge, 5 million euros, but it's pretty clear the former owner mismanaged terribly. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

News from one of the new expansion USL Championship teams in Birmingham, AL.

Birmingham Legion FC announced today the signing of defender Mathieu Laurent.

Laurent played center-back as a team captain at UAB and earned a spot on the Conference USA Second-Team following his junior and senior seasons. He also made the All-Conference USA Freshman Team in 2014. Before coming to the States, Laurent was a member of the 2013 Canadian U17 National Team and played in the 2013 U17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

8 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

This guy's career is a puzzle to me.  Is he that bad defensively?  Puts up up numbers but can't seem to stick anywhere.

I've read hes on a high wage and the manager fancies Peter Pawlett. But another thing was that he rarely played 90 and almost always came off if they had a lead.