NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Did you create a Canadians Abroad list long ago at a website.  Seems to me one of the earliest was from someone named Ray, I could be wrong.

Yeah, sort of.  I think it was Marc P maintaining the Canadians Abroad list while I was tracking official Canadian caps (Senior, Olympic, U20, U17) back in the day when cap-tied meant cap-tied, no ifs ands or buts.  There was something to be said for simplicity back then :).  I wouldn't attempt the endeavor today.

Here's a couple of files I kept from that era.  One is my official caps list.  The other is the first "Canadians Abroad" type list I ever came across from Jason Kmet.  Have fun reminiscing.

canadians_caps-A.html

can_register.htm

Edited by ray

1 hour ago, ray said:

Yeah, sort of.  I think it was Marc P maintaining the Canadians Abroad list while I was tracking official Canadian caps (Senior, Olympic, U20, U17) back in the day when cap-tied meant cap-tied, no ifs ands or buts.  There was something to be said for simplicity back then :).  I wouldn't attempt the endeavor today.

Here's a couple of files I kept from that era.  One is my official caps list.  The other is the first "Canadians Abroad" type list I ever came across from Jason Kmet.  Have fun reminiscing.

canadians_caps-A.html

can_register.htm

This is so cool!

On 11/1/2018 at 12:56 AM, JasonDias said:

Lucas Dias former Toronto Sporting FC academy player and now Sporting CP academy player has been called up to represent Portugal's sub-15 team. @Fussball_eh your website has him listed as a defender. He often plays the false 9 position on Sporting's U-15. Occasionally, a winger as well. 

Source: He's my godfather's son. You can find his name littered in the Portuguese media here in Toronto.

Sorry this took so long, I just fixed it. Check the notes section on the list as well :)

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, ray said:

canadians_caps-A.html

can_register.htmO

The old days! To be fair, the CSA has a list at one time but never updated it. So I took that and just started combing websites, soccer computer games, emailing clubs asking if they had Canadians on the books.  Back then the net was a smaller place with fewer websites and clubs online the job seems so much more simple and manageable!

40 minutes ago, masster said:

Yes he has signed.  

Here is my translation of the Finnish article:

"New player contract - versatile Jonas Häkkinen has signed with Vaasan Palloseura 

Vaasan Palloseura [VPS] has signed a player contract with the young Finnish player Jonas Häkkinen. The contract is 1+1 years. [unspecified whether the option is one way or two way] 

Jonas Häkkinen is a multi-functional player who owns both the Finnish and Canadian passports, and who can play both stopper and defensive midfielder. 

"For the last few years he has played stopper, but before that he has played defensive midfielder, as well", VPS head coach Petri Vuorinen comments. 

Häkkinen has played his entire career in Vancouver, where he has played in the Whitecaps academy. Häkkinen has Finnish parents and he speaks good Finnish, although his native tongue is English. 

"Jonas has trained with us for quite a while already. He came to Finland to uplift his career. Comparing him with other players of his generation (1999), I believe that he has the full potential to succeed in Finnish Premier League", Vuorinen analyzes. 

Very little about this promising player is known in Finland. Contact between the player and the club came through his agent. The youngster has trained with VPS for a month already. 

"The agent suggested that we give Jonas a trial. We decided to take him along and have been judging his play. In the last few years, many young players looking to develop have trialed for us. This time we found a good "match". I do not think many have heard of him here, even though he is Finnish. He is a new face for many here in that sense."

In addition to his playing skills, there is another thing Vuorinen specifically likes about Häkkinen. 

"He has a very tough but healthy attitude about sports and football in general. All that is right", Vuorinen comments. 

Jonas' own interview will be done during November. 

--------

Since it's my first post, I figure it's fine to use this space to say hello everybody, too. I am a VPS fan from Finland - a cold, stable Northern country, with an under-performing National Team with a history of promising players selecting some another country, and whose general public has an unhealthy obsession with this sticky-sport played on ice.

Suppose this description also explains to you all why I have somehow developed kind of a weird sympathetic affinity towards the "soccer people" in Canada, and hence I have been following your NT for the past few years, including lurking on this forum occasionally. So I figured that now that this guy signed with my local club team, it would be a good excuse to register here too. So I do hope you guys don't mind having me as an "outsider" for our countries are yet to develop a fierce rivalry in this sport. (Although I also wouldn't mind, if in the next few years one developed over Häkkinen's services at the senior level. :P)

---------

Would Jonas warrant his own thread, btw? Now that he's going to be playing here, I would be more than glad to contribute with updates on Jonas etc. since I watch every VPS game anyway.

10 hours ago, Marc said:

The old days! To be fair, the CSA has a list at one time but never updated it. So I took that and just started combing websites, soccer computer games, emailing clubs asking if they had Canadians on the books.  Back then the net was a smaller place with fewer websites and clubs online the job seems so much more simple and manageable!

It’s def no longer a one man’s job. With the increased availability of player data, so also comes the increase of players to be added (and to be maintained) on the database. Compared to those early lists we have exponentially more players to track. So I wouldn’t say the job is necessarily easier. Luckily the google document allows infinite people to edit at the same time, hence why I was so ademant that it’s a superior solution to a forum post. Although I admit, it may have lost a certain early 90s forum charm ?.

20 hours ago, Marc said:

Yes what I meant was back then it was relatively easy given there were only so many sources/routes for info!

Gotcha. I've re-read your post and I feel like you can interpret your statement both ways, but thanks for clearing it up, looks like we are on the same page :)

On 9/4/2018 at 4:09 AM, Toje said:

Chaim Roserie is on loan to Novelda CF in the Spanish 4th tier.

http://www.thefinalball.com/player.php?id=473330&epoca_id=0

https://t.co/6chtpjREn7

He refused a call-up to the U17 declaring Canada a 'Kick and run' nation. Now he is 20 playing 4th division. The top division has 20, 2nd 22, then 3rd 80. So thats 122 club above 4th level. In the 4th tier there are 360 teams! His loan club is below mid-table so ranked lets say for sake of round number 178 out of 360. That would mean he is turning out for the 300th best club in Spain 

If aligning with England that would land them in the 8th tier.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Finished in 7th last year in the top flight. Nice move up for Boakai, hopefully he can get his career back on track.

They also won the cup last year and they'll be in Europa League.

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Anyway since he was on a 2-year contract a transferfee must have been paid. Must have made a couple of bucks for FCE then. 

It was one year with an option for a second. Finnish clubs don't pay anything more than symbolic transfer fees, so if they did it would have been literally a couple of bucks at best.

Edited by Zem

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

These last 2 years haven’t worked out well for Haber.  His contract is up in May and I imagine a move back to Canada to be a star in the new league may be appealing to him.

A guy who rarely got off the bench on the worst team in the Scottish Championship is unlikely to be a star

Edited by jordan

On 11/19/2018 at 4:20 AM, SirBobsaget said:

He refused a call-up to the U17 declaring Canada a 'Kick and run' nation. Now he is 20 playing 4th division. The top division has 20, 2nd 22, then 3rd 80. So thats 122 club above 4th level. In the 4th tier there are 360 teams! His loan club is below mid-table so ranked lets say for sake of round number 178 out of 360. That would mean he is turning out for the 300th best club in Spain 

If aligning with England that would land them in the 8th tier.  

Novelda is traditionally a third tier team, as is Alcoyano. Now he has been loaned to La Nucia, another in the same division in the Valencia Community, but is playing for their B team, in 6th tier, see his Instagram acct: https://www.instagram.com/_chaimroserie/

We have actually already had our chance to slag the kid for the exact reasons you are saying, his comments about Canada. What's worse is that he hardly plays, even where he is.

As for your comments about 4th tier Spain, just remember: Piette played for Canada while in a team in Tercera, and Canada is not 8th tier. Fisk went from that level to Edmonton, and excelled,  Edmonton was not 8th tier level. Pedro Rodriguez and Sergio Busquets were brought up by Guardiola directly from that same level to first team play at Barça. Some major footballing nations have quality in lower tiers,  I know a player signed  from Tercera in Spain into 2nd div Poland for example. 

Chaim, however, is actually in 6th tier and does not want to play for us, so great for him.

On 12/28/2018 at 9:54 PM, Toje said:

Gowtham Kirupakaran has signed with Real Aviles in the Spanish 4th tier. 

https://t.co/P1OwXPGHLy

He is a 20 year old from the Toronto area, and he played a few minutes in League 1 Ontario this past summer.

https://www.league1ontario.com/roster_players/26040869

He subbed on m. 89 in their 2-0 loss to Club Siero before Xmas, the only game he could play so far. I think that is a good club for a kid of his age to develop in, and the football in the Asturias region is quite competitive. 

Avilés is fair-sized industrial city and really should be a better team, as the football tradition is there, but they have not figured as an important club for decades now. After financial ups and downs it is currently being run by an association of supporters, which is interesting. The stadium holds 5400:

campo-roman-suarez-puerta.jpg