NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I will risk opening some old wounds to inform you guys that Bryan Crisante has been linked to Man U. This is a rumor, but goal and the sun are reporting that he is being considered as Fellaini's replacememt. The plan would be for Atalanta to exercise their 10 million pound buy-option from Benfica, then turn around and sell to Manchester United for 31 million pounds.

Not a CMNT player but he was recently eligible and it's fun to dream "what if". We were close....

I watched the first half vs. Benavento the other day, so I missed his goal and game winner. He was constantly picked up by cameras, clearly one to watch even for tv producers doing games. Is a roaming attacking mid and this year very effective breaking through lines, actually fun to watch. He also has a lot of confidence and is on a roll.

Overall, however, I found Atalanta to be a mediocre team, maybe it was a bad day, but sorry for being a homer: la Liga is better quality technically and tactically than Serie A, they are simply not taking care of certain basic things in Italy lately.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:41 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I watched the first half vs. Benavento the other day, so I missed his goal and game winner. He was constantly picked up by cameras, clearly one to watch even for tv producers doing games. Is a roaming attacking mid and this year very effective breaking through lines, actually fun to watch. He also has a lot of confidence and is on a roll.

Overall, however, I found Atalanta to be a mediocre team, maybe it was a bad day, but sorry for being a homer: la Liga is better quality technically and tactically than Serie A, they are simply not taking care of certain basic things in Italy lately.

I agree that in La Liga they are way more technical but to be fair it seems like you're basing your view off of a Atalanta vs Benevento game, even though Atalanta is very good tactically as shown in their games in Europe this season in a difficult group involving Lyon and Everton (I know Everton isn't that good of a team but individually the players are not garbage). Benevento meanwhile is a nightmare defensively so i understand why you'd think the Italian league is not as tactical. Just last night Juventus put on a tactical master class. I like Napoli but what Juventus did was just outstanding from a defensive perspective. When they had to go and get the goal they got it, and it wasn't their sole chance, Higuain also missed an easy chance for a player of his ability. Once they got the goal they limited Napoli to half-chances throughout the game. Chances where Napoli could have scored but were bad angled shots or from outside of the box. Napoli couldn't go through the middle at all. 

On 7. 6. 2017 at 10:26 AM, Toje said:

Youcef Bechou (1997 - born in Montreal) is with USM Alger in the Algerian 1st tier.  If it is the same guy, he played for Algeria U23 at the recent Islamic Solidarity Games in Baku.

https://t.co/E8aYQ0nxpf

https://t.co/PPwrlt4sVJ

He was recently called up again to the Algerian U21 side.

http://www.elmoudjahid.com/fr/actualites/116814

7 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

I agree that in La Liga they are way more technical but to be fair it seems like you're basing your view off of a Atalanta vs Benevento game, even though Atalanta is very good tactically as shown in their games in Europe this season in a difficult group involving Lyon and Everton (I know Everton isn't that good of a team but individually the players are not garbage). Benevento meanwhile is a nightmare defensively so i understand why you'd think the Italian league is not as tactical. Just last night Juventus put on a tactical master class. I like Napoli but what Juventus did was just outstanding from a defensive perspective. When they had to go and get the goal they got it, and it wasn't their sole chance, Higuain also missed an easy chance for a player of his ability. Once they got the goal they limited Napoli to half-chances throughout the game. Chances where Napoli could have scored but were bad angled shots or from outside of the box. Napoli couldn't go through the middle at all. 

I wanted to watch Napoli-Juve but couldn't in the end.

What strikes me is a couple of things: ball to foot, sloppy controls, loose passing; positioning, correcting late so passes are "dirtier" and just thrown in a general area; support in attack, not just being in your pre-established position but interpreting as you go. In Italy when it is a defensive standoff, which is frequent, it is true that there is merit for the team able to break the other down. But that whole premise is based on extreme defensive rigour, which takes precedent over what I just mentioned. And basically saves teams from having to excel in those skills that great top flight clubs and players should have.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 minutes ago, Toje said:

A GK born in Toronto is with Juventus U17/U19. Alessandro Carlo Matthew Busti recently for Juventus in the UEFA Youth League.

https://t.co/1FsqhUe81E

https://t.co/AieszbJoRI

Any further confirmation? Transfermarkt could be wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time Transfermarkt put an Italian player as being born in Toronto instead of Torino by mistake.  

Great find if its actually Toronto. Listening to the interview it could be Taranto which is in southern Italy. Another hint is the second middle name of Matthew, shows some kind of connection with English. If the family had no English language background they would have almost certainly used Matteo instead.

Edited by johnyb
added info

I saw a feature on Cristante in a Spanish sports daily, calling him one of the "sensations" of Serie A and suggesting there was a 30 million € offer on the table for him from an English side, think it was Man United. Also interest from At Madrid, other Italian teams.

I think the deal is that if Atalanta pay 4 million this Xmas break they own him, and then can make the transfer in the summer. 

On 11/30/2017 at 1:17 PM, Obinna said:

I will risk opening some old wounds to inform you guys that Bryan Crisante has been linked to Man U. This is a rumor, but goal and the sun are reporting that he is being considered as Fellaini's replacememt. The plan would be for Atalanta to exercise their 10 million pound buy-option from Benfica, then turn around and sell to Manchester United for 31 million pounds.

Not a CMNT player but he was recently eligible and it's fun to dream "what if". We were close....

Atalanta's purchase option on Cristante is 4 million Euros, not 10 millions pounds. They have already said they will be exercising that option. All of this discussion on him is another reason why his thread should not have been locked, just moved. I have been posting about him here:

7 hours ago, masster said:

Atalanta's purchase option on Cristante is 4 million Euros, not 10 millions pounds. They have already said they will be exercising that option. All of this discussion on him is another reason why his thread should not have been locked, just moved. I have been posting about him here:

I was reading that the option ends up being 5 million, I guess there are extras there, but it is still a potentially big payday for Atalanta if they choose to sell and can get more than 20.

So do you think that if he plays in EPL or La Liga he will fall off the Italy radar a bit, since his call-up for them was just to fill in last minute for injuries anyways? That he'd have to excel even more to be part of their NT mix?

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was reading that the option ends up being 5 million, I guess there are extras there, but it is still a potentially big payday for Atalanta if they choose to sell and can get more than 20.

So do you think that if he plays in EPL or La Liga he will fall off the Italy radar a bit, since his call-up for them was just to fill in last minute for injuries anyways? That he'd have to excel even more to be part of their NT mix?

It will depend on the next national team manager.  Conte was willing to call up Pelle when he was with Southampton.  If Cristante breaks into ManU's line-up, one would guess there are more call-ups in his future.

In terms of the rumoured purchase price of 30m, that only equates to about 8m in pre-2017 transfer window money.  Based on last summer, 30m would be the rate for an avg. midfielder in the EPL.  

6 hours ago, WheatsheafSK said:

It will depend on the next national team manager.  Conte was willing to call up Pelle when he was with Southampton.  If Cristante breaks into ManU's line-up, one would guess there are more call-ups in his future.

In terms of the rumoured purchase price of 30m, that only equates to about 8m in pre-2017 transfer window money.  Based on last summer, 30m would be the rate for an avg. midfielder in the EPL.  

I would agree with this. Darmian plays for ManU and is a regular with the National team. Either way, under current FIFA rules he's done with Canada.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:16 AM, johnyb said:

Great find if its actually Toronto. Listening to the interview it could be Taranto which is in southern Italy. Another hint is the second middle name of Matthew, shows some kind of connection with English. If the family had no English language background they would have almost certainly used Matteo instead.

This reminds of a party I was at years ago in the UK in London where I met a few Italians and they asked me where I was from...and I said near Toronto but probably pronounced it more like Toranna.  And they asked me what it was like there...and I said it was very nice, clean, some cool bits, etc.  And they kept saying they had heard very bad things about it...finally after a few minutes back and forth, I realized they thought I was talking about Tirana, Albania!  I learned my lesson after that to always pronounced the final T in Toronto when I was in Europe. :-)

Btw, been to Taranto...not a bad little town...the whole region of Puglia is probably my favourite part of Italy.

1 hour ago, Toje said:

Nikolas Kras has signed with Avezzano in the Italian 4th tier.  He was previously playing in the 5th tier, so a little step up for him.

https://t.co/gAoxe3VJOc

Kras is an '89 who was a starter for Viareggio in Serie C1 as a 22/23 yr old before suffering a broken leg. His career was never the same after that injury...

Edited by jpg75

Colin Jacques was on the pre season roster for Rudes. The team has been basically taken over by Deportivo Alaves who have provided a coach and several players which has proven disastrous for the club. There has been speculation on the Croatian forum that Colin and several other original Rudes players have been let go, but nothing official has been filed with CFF/HNS.

• 2 weeks later...