NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

13 hours ago, Toje said:

Dieu Merci Yuma has signed with Sedan (French 4th tier) from Portuguese 4th tier side Electrico.  He had 21 goals in 15 games this season.

Ryan Reid has also signed with Sedan.  He played with Yumas this past season in Portugal.  Both players are 21 years old.

http://www.lardennais.fr/37297/article/2017-06-23/cinq-recrues-sedan

We are starting to get quite a few players in very modest lower divisions in Europe, starting to be a good wide base. Have to hope that some of them start to move up, though in these divisions it is pretty hard to go from a multi-division tier to a single national division, it is a big step up.

9 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I was hoping this team was in the 2017 CONCACAF League, but it is not. Are Guatemalan teams not in this competition?

No, Guatemala's federation was suspended by FIFA last October due to political interference by the government. They are banned from all international competitions, including CCL, until the ban is lifted. That said, Suchitepequez wouldn't have qualified anyway.

Edited by Zem

12 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

Andrés Fresenga has signed with  CSD Suchitepéquez in Guatemala. This is David Monsalve's old team. 

Good that he has found a club. But I believe they were behind on salaries when Monsalve played there (and even celebrated a championship). 

On 5/30/2017 at 7:54 AM, jpg75 said:

Elijah left Vancouver to return to Calgary because he was homesick. This is from a member of Rev. Adekugbe's congregation. I believe he is 2 years younger than Sam, so he's a '97. Would have been eligible for this U20 cycle. Was he better than the options we called up? Who would you have left off?

Sorry that I'm just seeing this now, sir.  Elijah Adekugbe had a major season ending injury (blew his ACL I think it was) the day before the PDL season started.

On May 30, 2017 at 7:54 AM, jpg75 said:

Elijah left Vancouver to return to Calgary because he was homesick. This is from a member of Rev. Adekugbe's congregation. I believe he is 2 years younger than Sam, so he's a '97. Would have been eligible for this U20 cycle. Was he better than the options we called up? Who would you have left off?

Elijah Adekugbe is born in 96. 

La'Vere Corbin-Ong has signed with Go Ahead Eagles, who were relegated from the Eredivisie last year. Great move for him IMO, especially if they can get promoted this year.

He is really making some smart career moves; sign where you can get minutes, then move up the ladder. Wish more Canadian players made moves with a similar mindset.

http://www.ga-eagles.nl/go-ahead-eagles-strikt-canadees-international-lavere-corbin-ong/

Edited by shermanator

On 01/07/2017 at 10:11 AM, madmonte said:

Sorry that I'm just seeing this now, sir.  Elijah Adekugbe had a major season ending injury (blew his ACL I think it was) the day before the PDL season started.

Small correction, he actually ruptured his achilles tendon. Next time I see his dad I'll try and ask him what Elijah's future plans are. Foothills really miss him this year, the absence of his quality in the midfield is really noticeable, and unfortunately Bruno Zebie hasn't made up for it in my mind.

Manu Aparicio has signed for Sam Piette's club, Izarra. In this Spanish site he appears in his Canada shirt

http://www.lapreferente.com/J210826/sdc-ordenes/manny-aparicio.html

I was a bit floored by this, first, since no one else saw it, it was announced June 16, and I missed it too. Second, he played for a team that was dead last in their group in Spanish 3rd, 4th tier, a division lower than Izarra´s 2B. So it is a huge step up for Manny, who is born 95 and hasn't turned 21 yet.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Manu Aparicio has signed for Sam Piette's club, Izarra. In this Spanish site he appears in his Canada shirt

http://www.lapreferente.com/J210826/sdc-ordenes/manny-aparicio.html

I was a bit floored by this, first, since no one else saw it, it was announced June 16, and I missed it too. Second, he played for a team that was dead last in their group in Spanish 3rd, 4th tier, a division lower than Izarra´s 2B. So it is a huge step up for Manny, who is born 95 and hasn't turned 21 yet.

Great find. I don't understand the Spanish football system, but I have Izarra categorized as 4th division. Is that incorrect?

6 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Izarra are in 2B, third tier.

Primera = 1

Segunda = 2

Segunda B = 3

Tercera = 4

That is right.

The national federation controls the first three tiers, the Tercera's all pertain to an autonomous community (like CDN province). Manny was in the Tercera division from the region of Galicia, north-west, where Sam was too at Deportivo, and Fisk, and where Andrew Lebre will likely play this upcoming year with Ourense.

There are four divisions of 2B, and it is officially pro. They have to redo the divisions each year to accomodate new teams, and travel problems (teams from the Canary Islands, Mallorca, or the African cities like Melilla). Izarra does not have its rivals or schedule yet. 

After Tercera, every region decides how things are going to be, though usually there are 3 or four more tiers, with more and more divisions. I think 8 is the max in tiered, pro-rel Spanish football. In Spain, if you want to compete, you start a club, do the paperwork, and start in the bottom division, and all teams get in, they are obliged to let them in. There are hardly any private academies not in federated competition. You can also be an existing club and buy someone out, but only in Tercera and below.

It is rare to be paid in Spain after 5th tier, and even fourth, Tercera, can be nominal at times, or players are coaching youth and the like.

Patryk Misik, Aparicio's teammate at Ordenes last season, is now unattached and looking for a new club. Acc to this Brazilian site from Toronto (thinks me), he is looking at offers from both Spain and North America for now. 

https://www.canadasporting.com/2017/06/22/entrevista-no-cs-patryk-misik-abre-o-jogo-ao-canada-sporting-e-fala-sobre-sua-situacao-no-sd-ordenes/

The story is from a week ago. Talks about representing Canada, most recently in Qatar, not getting called up ever by Poland in spite of playing there young, his time at Fury. Very positive attitude.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Collin Miller loves to pick-up these Canadian players with some kind of abroad experience.

Misik arguably had a better season than Aparicio, even though the team was hopeless. I am basing this on having read about a dozen game reports and seen summaries of all. 

Go for it Colin!!