NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Of course Depor is a huge club, just like Stuttgart so I've argued once. However I think Besiktas is the bigger club of the two. 

But the original question was about the level. And the competition Deportivo faces is clearly higher-level than Besiktas. You can talk Champions League all you want, fact is the top half of Primera Division IS Champions League level and possible the league as a whole. 

Or to put it in Wiki-terms:

Spanish CL-Victories: 16 (11 runners up)

Turkish CL Victories: 0 (0 runners up)

13 Spanish teams have participated in the modern Champions League, against 5 Turkish clubs. Heck Deportivo participated 5 times since 2000, Besiktas 6 since '97 so that is not even that far apart, whereas it is way harder for a Spanish club to qualify than one of the traditional top-three Istanbul-clubs. 

Shamrock, I 100% agree, thankfully a few people here have some sense. 

The whole idea of going onto Wiki and saying yo-yo really gets me, because if you said that to anyone in Spain, except maybe Deportivo's rivals at Celta, they'd laugh in your face. I could name about 15 teams that fit the bill (only three teams in Spain have never been out of top flight). But the knowledge level of Canadian fans is like that, laughable at times.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Obinna, Deportivo de la Coruña is historically amongst the top 10 or so sides in the history of the Spanish league, which is most likely the best in the world. No one in Spain says they are "ascensor", that term is reserved for a few other sides. 

I trust what common knowledge is here, rather than guys doing rapidfire Wiki-checks then trying to discuss this stuff. You are way over your heads.

If you don't believe me, just ask the current Canada coach or current captain. Who you are also disrespecting totally, Floro must be an idiot to be calling up a reserve player from a yo-yo team, our lowest division player on the CMNT. Julian will tell you the same thing I am: Deportivo is a major Spanish side; Getafe or Rayo or Levante are "ascensor".

If Piette gets first team minutes at Depor, being good fans, you'll insist he's playing for a yo-yo team. In fact you saying this now is dissing him before he even gets there, which is totally pathetic. Accoring to Obinna, right now Sam is reserve on a yo-yo team and plays for Canada. With fans like you we might as well all be Mexicans.

I think most Canada fans might actually show some appreciation if Sam makes it, since the accomplishment will be great. 

Depor had huge debt like most important football teams when Julian was there, if I recall maybe over 100 million, lost their shirt sponsor even when Julian around as its business collapsed (real estate), and were forced into a radical restructuring with an important consequence for us: they started paying attention to their academy. They never had, nor had regional rival Celta, Galician players were few in Spanish top flight. They sold players, refused to resign--since all this affected our captain you should bloody well know, but you don't. Because it is not in a little table on your Wiki, is it now?

They brought in journeymen and called up kids from the academy. Third or fourth tier players, often loaned out a while then come back.  As they are doing now, maybe a quarter to a third of the first team is from the B (not going on Wiki-genius here, on memory). Many of the players Sam would technically replace are also academy. Basically, finances obliged them to go with what they have and thus they went down, came back up, dropped, even last year they were close. You could even argue it was part of the calculated risk.

It does not matter really. I love to watch them when they come to Camp Nou, even watched Julian when they played Espanyol in Barcelona, and am disappointed Sam and Ben did not draw a team closer to me for the promotion playoffs. Deportivo is a great team, an important club, and Canada is lucky to have Sam there.

Just so you're clear, It was actually Grizzly who stated Deportivo was a yo-yo club, not me.

I was simply restating what he actually said to you, because you clearly ignored the vast majority of it. Ironically, you accused him of ignoring your detailed post, funny that.

By the way, Deportivo has spent 45 seasons in the top flight and 39 in the second division. That is not to say they aren't a great club with a lot of history and all but let me ask, was Grizzly wrong to call them a yo-yo club based on the facts? Before you answer, emotionally detach yourself so that you can answer with logic. In that way, your feelings won't get hurt again and we can enjoy some reasonable dialog. Everybody wins.

As for Sam, glad that he's still under contract with a La Liga club.

Edit: Yo-yo doesn't necessarily mean they aren't held in high esteem. It just means they have bounced around. It seems like the only person who is attaching a negative connotation to the word "yo-yo" is you. 

Edited by Obinna

So anyways, how about we track some mothafuckin Canadians, shall we?

Canadian-Argentinian MF Miguel Romeo, who played last year with Calgary Foothills, is currently playing with Kultsu FC in the Kakkonen. Along with Calgary Foothills, Romeo has played with Central and St. Anne's in the T&T Premier League, and with Pasaquina in the El Salvadorian Primera Division. You could say he's yo-yo'd in the T&T Premier League or something.

Noticed him as Miguel Romero in the MOACA list. Gave me an excuse to use the words "track some mothafuckin Canadians" and try and re-rail this thread.

Dane Domic is on trial at Sparta Rotterdam - who were just promoted to the Eredivisie.  

Sparta Rotterdam take duo on trial

Eredivisie newcomers Sparta Rotterdam will give Dane Domic and Tadej Apatič the chance to impress the club on trial.

Domic, a 19-year-old midfielder, and Apatič a 28-year-old left back will join up with the club during their first training session on Saturday and try to earn a deal.

Domic recently played for Canadian side Calgary Villains, while Apatič is a free agent after leaving Austrian amateur side Deutschlandsberger SC.

Don't know anything about this kid, but apparantly he was playing with the Calgary Villains recently.  A quick google search brought up this Calgary Sun article on the lad, so I am assuming that he is Canadian.

Without knowing anything about this kid, Sparta signing this kid is an absolute longshot. Maybe he could join an Eerste Divisie-side, or maybe join their youth-squad. No way he's coming in from Villains stepping into the first team of Sparta. 

You could wait for it, Corbin-Ong lands a better club after his stellar performance in the Regionalliga (4). FSV Frankfurt (3) have signed the English Canadian (or the other way around). A little underwhelming as I think there might have been some interest of 2. Liga clubs but FSV relegated last season and are a perennial 2. Liga club, not to mention Frankfurt itself is loaded. FSV is Frankfurts second club btw after Eintracht (Unity) of course. 

I wonder when he'll get his call-up, Corbin-Ong plays left back / CB. 

http://www.liga3-online.de/weitere-neuzugange-frankfurt-holt-corbin-ong-fischer-und-burdenski/

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

You could wait for it, Corbin-Ong lands a better club after his stellar performance in the Regionalliga (4). FSV Frankfurt (3) have signed the English Canadian (or the other way around). A little underwhelming as I think there might have been some interest of 2. Liga clubs but FSV relegated last season and are a perennial 2. Liga club, not to mention Frankfurt itself is loaded. FSV is Frankfurts second club btw after Eintracht (Unity) of course. 

I wonder when he'll get his call-up, Corbin-Ong plays left back / CB. 

http://www.liga3-online.de/weitere-neuzugange-frankfurt-holt-corbin-ong-fischer-und-burdenski/

Good to see him moving up a league. FSV spent the last 8 seasons in the 2. Liga but with the exception of one 4th place finish, they mostly flirted with relegation every season. They also had the 2nd lowest average attendance in the 2. Liga last season. Prior entering the 2. Liga, they played in the Oberliga and Regionalliga. I think they're more likely to be a mid-table 3. Liga team next season, rather than a promotion contender. But we shall see.

Just now, shermanator said:

If I understand this right, La'vere Corbin-Ong will be playing at the highest level of all Canadians in the 3. Liga (along with Hainault)?

In Germany, yes. Edwin-Bonsu also played at this level last season, but is no longer with that club (Vfr Aalen).

2 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Eh, which club would that be?

Albion Rovers (Scottish League One)

In other news, Yann-Alexandre Fillion has apparently been signed by FC Zurich (Swiss Challenge League/D2) until 2021. There are problems: he can only play for the first team and the team has already got 5 signed goalkeepers including Fillion. The club hasn't officially announced that he is signed. Thanks to @Kurosawa1555362267 for the find.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/fussball/story/Was-will-der-FC-Zuerich-mit-5-Goalies--31513107

• 2 weeks later...