Jump to content

NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is definitely a upward move for him. Rostock is a much bigger club than Lotte, who were pretty much the smallest club in the 3. Liga. Rostock will likely be contenders for promotion next season a

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

No offense to FCE but I feel Ledgerwood could definitely play in MLS.  It's a shame that roster restrictions have in all likelihood prevented that.

I don't think Ledgerwood in MLS is a stretch based on his play, but outside of signing on as a RB in Vancouver, where he may not be a starter, where else would he go?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Big_M said:

He would be at least a sub (2nd string) on every MLS team and a starter on some. Comparing 2nd and 3rd division Germany to USL and NASL is a joke. Send any of our USL guys to Germany and see if they could even be a reserve on a D3 team. They would have a hard time even being a starter in the Regionnalligas.

He wouldn't start on any MLS teams barring the deathbed Chivas USA of a few years ago. He has never played top division soccer in his career and he's on the wrong side of 30.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Since we are following coaches now, Yallop has signed a 3 year contract to coach in USL. Pretty low to fall, I don't think he was MLS calibre but one would think he might have caught on in NASL

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/12/frank-yallop-named-arizona-united-head-coach

Yes he's on the list. We are missing quite a few coaches though, so keep them coming!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Since we are following coaches now, Yallop has signed a 3 year contract to coach in USL. Pretty low to fall, I don't think he was MLS calibre but one would think he might have caught on in NASL

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/12/frank-yallop-named-arizona-united-head-coach

I have not watched Yallop's teams too much, but it seems harsh to say that he is not MLS caliber when he has won the MLS Cup x2, coach of the year x2, and supporter's shield. 

Agree that it is a steep step. However, considering his recent record he feel this is the time to  step back and reconsider his methods/playing style. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yallop is MLS quality.  He worked miracles with SJ just 3 years ago winning the SS with an average team and coach of the year, I think much of the criticism has been harsh... his teams haven't done great recently but he also hasn't exactly had quality to work with either.  His track record speaks for itself and it is better than most coaches in the league.

He's a "grinder" coach.  One I think MLS teams that don't have the money to compete and sign big players can use.

USL is a drop down, sure but as a coach you take the job and $ you can get.  You don't just sit around waiting for someone to be sacked.

Edited by Keegan
Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 4, 2016 at 8:42 PM, shermanator said:

I don't think Ledgerwood in MLS is a stretch based on his play, but outside of signing on as a RB in Vancouver, where he may not be a starter, where else would he go?

Well I wouldn't limit him to just Canadian teams, that's why I referenced the MLS rules working against him.  He's exactly the type of utility player most MLS teams could use, think Dan Gargan at LA or Brovsky at NYCFC.. I would take him over both of those guys just as an example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5 januari 2016 at 1:37 AM, Vince193 said:

He wouldn't start on any MLS teams barring the deathbed Chivas USA of a few years ago. He has never played top division soccer in his career and he's on the wrong side of 30.

I think you are correct. He's an amiable guy who's always given everything, but lacks quality. We'll see how he'll pan out at FCE, as that is probably where he's going.

 

4 minutes ago, Toje said:

Great o see him resurface. You have to hand it to him, he doesn't give up and always seems to find a new club somewhere. All the best to him!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 5, 2016 at 0:37 AM, Vince193 said:

He wouldn't start on any MLS teams barring the deathbed Chivas USA of a few years ago. He has never played top division soccer in his career and he's on the wrong side of 30.

This is MLS... not many guys have played top division soccer anywhere else.  He would never be a "sure thing" to start every week but he would probably start more than half the games for most teams.  Look at the average MLS starting roster and he has a higher pedigree than most with roughly 70 2. Bundesliga  appearances and 45 caps for Canada.  Hammarby, Duisburg and Cottbus played in lower divisions while he was there but are all decent clubs too and he always put himself in a position to play week in and week out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Toje said:

Added.

5 hours ago, Addona said:

Has anyone heard anything about Roberto Stillo?  I'm starting to worry that his playing career is over at this point ...

No, but I'll try and reach out.

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

This is MLS... not many guys have played top division soccer anywhere else.  He would never be a "sure thing" to start every week but he would probably start more than half the games for most teams.  Look at the average MLS starting roster and he has a higher pedigree than most with roughly 70 2. Bundesliga  appearances and 45 caps for Canada.  Hammarby, Duisburg and Cottbus played in lower divisions while he was there but are all decent clubs too and he always put himself in a position to play week in and week out.

One thing about Ledgerwood noone is talking about is his recent knee injury. Not sure if this will play a role going forward, but it sounded pretty serious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, shermanator said:

If Ledgerwood were to play at DM it could make sense for him to move to FC Edmonton. There has been a little chatter about a national team player coming to play in Edmonton, but no idea who it is.

Yes, it's Ledgerwood; I will stake my reputation as a psychic on it. Heard something about this back in November and now the pieces are falling into place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DM Jordan Schweitzer, who is born, raised and developed in the United States, but holds a Canadian passport, has been signed by the Seattle Sounders as a home grown player. I'm not the biggest fan of tracking these types of players but I know others like to, so here you are.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/canadian-midfielder-jordan-schweitzer-signs-with-seattle-sounders-364688991.html

And from the Sounders: http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2016/01/07/sounders-fc-signs-defensive-midfielder-jordan-schweitzer-sixth-homegrown-player

Edited by shermanator
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shermanator said:

DM Jordan Schweitzer, who is born, raised and developed in the United States, but holds a Canadian passport, has been signed by the Seattle Sounders as a home grown player. I'm not the biggest fan of tracking these types of players but I know others like to, so here you are.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/canadian-midfielder-jordan-schweitzer-signs-with-seattle-sounders-364688991.html

And from the Sounders: http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2016/01/07/sounders-fc-signs-defensive-midfielder-jordan-schweitzer-sixth-homegrown-player

It makes sense to track him from a practicality perspective, if he's not good enough for the US, there is always the chance he could be an upgrade at a position for us

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, shermanator said:

DM Jordan Schweitzer, who is born, raised and developed in the United States, but holds a Canadian passport, has been signed by the Seattle Sounders as a home grown player. I'm not the biggest fan of tracking these types of players but I know others like to, so here you are.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/canadian-midfielder-jordan-schweitzer-signs-with-seattle-sounders-364688991.html

And from the Sounders: http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2016/01/07/sounders-fc-signs-defensive-midfielder-jordan-schweitzer-sixth-homegrown-player

Added. Put him in first team for now, but he'll probably play for the second team in the USL, I imagine? Also need his birth date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Coramoor said:

It makes sense to track him from a practicality perspective, if he's not good enough for the US, there is always the chance he could be an upgrade at a position for us

I asked him if he feels Canadian at all and this was his response:

"[...] it's hard not to feel Canadian when people get confused when you call a beanie a tuque!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ledgerwood to FC Edmonton is confirmed by the club. http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2016/01/12/local-talent-and-canadian-international-nik-ledgerwood-signs-with-fc-edmonton?utm_campaign=FC+Edmonton+Website&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1452618231

Next up on my "Canadian internationals that I want to sign with Canadian clubs": Tosaint Ricketts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Ledgerwood to FC Edmonton is confirmed by the club. http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2016/01/12/local-talent-and-canadian-international-nik-ledgerwood-signs-with-fc-edmonton?utm_campaign=FC+Edmonton+Website&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1452618231

Next up on my "Canadian internationals that I want to sign with Canadian clubs": Tosaint Ricketts.

Thanks. Added him. Yes, please Ricketts, get out of Turkey!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...