Olympic Qualifier: Canada - Panama Oct. 3rd 2015

Ruffian

Cuba is our bogie team though.  A draw in the last Olympic qualifying set us up for Mexico instead of El Salvador in the semis.  And, they have beaten us in the last 2 rounds of U20 WCQ, basically knocking us out each time.

We have to learn how to beat them.

Getting Cuba last is a big advantage IMO because of the players that end up defecting. the number is 5 as of now. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting Cuba last is a big advantage IMO because of the players that end up defecting. the number is 5 as of now. 

I'd have thought that CONCACAF would let them make roster changes (as they do in the Gold Cup) or host the qualifiers elsewhere in future

Grant improved from the USA match?  Not at all IMO, he looked lost out there and was playing completely negative anytime he had a touch.  I lost count of how many times he would receive a ball out wide and either pass it back to the central defenders or keeper.  I could overlook this if he was a rock defensively but he really wasn't either. 

He was all of those things you mentioned and more against the USA. It was shocking to see how uncomfortable he was out there. At least against Panama both him and Thomas appeared more settled. Neither was a good showing, I think we can agree on that.

Cuba is our bogie team though.  A draw in the last Olympic qualifying set us up for Mexico instead of El Salvador in the semis.  And, they have beaten us in the last 2 rounds of U20 WCQ, basically knocking us out each time.

We have to learn how to beat them.

True, I'd rather win and that should be the player's mentality on Tuesday, but unless Panama upset the US by a massive score, a draw will be as good as a win in terms of what it will achieve.

The issue in Clarke's situation and other players of the same level is that there is a big distance between USL-NASL and MLS and it will be very difficult to get a contract in MLS. In Europe, there are a lot of leagues that are between these two and would be a good fit for many of our players. And Germany being favourable to our players is a plus so I'm all for Clarke going back to Regionalliga and then trying to move up from there.

Archived