Olympic Qualifier: Canada - Panama Oct. 3rd 2015

So okay, let's say QPR watches this tournament, likes what they see out of Petrasso, and start to play him.  Things like that have happened in the past, as we know.  Should that put Petrasso ahead of Hoilett on the CMNT depth chart?  lol

We'll know after we see how he looks in the Ghana match. I'll say this though, Petrasso is awesome. A little greedy at times but we need more of that quality in our pool. DeRosario would be proud.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, Is it just me or was Mannella aweful today?

I have never been that high on him, but thought he had a very good game against the Americans. That opened my opinion about him back up, but now today he put in a poor showing. Perhaps the U.S game was an exception. Let's see next match how he does if he plays. I am hopping Floro starts with Carriero and Chapman from the start with Piette behind.

As I said above, Petrasso was awesome today. Second strong game in a row. Grant and Thomas were much more comfortable. Still not sure they have a future as professionals let alone the senior team, but nice to see an improvement. Gassparotto was good, reminds me of a young McKenna with a left foot. Not particularly fast, distribution is decent but not his strong point, and reads the game very very well. JGL wasn't as good as he was against the USA. Again, his lack of pace hurts him but at least his high football IQ and decent technique is just enough for him to avoid being a completely liability at LB. Was happy to see Farmar enter. By the way, I really like AJH and Clarke was much much better today despite the miss. Wouldn't be upset to see him start again. Chapman and Piette were okay. A few errors but otherwise both were useful. Fisk with the nice finish obviously makes a case for more playing time. 

Edited by Obinna

Clarke led the USSDA in scoring at U-18 and is not a bad finisher at USL level. He's not as bad as he showed today; he also has a bit of a strange skillset where he looks more like an attacking midfielder than a center forward at times, and he did play as a #10 during his time in Germany.

There have again been rumours that he wants to leave Vancouver and head back to Germany. I think his attitude that he's a bit above the North American system has hurt his development, after all if he's as good as he thinks he should have scored a lot more on a Whitecaps 2 team that was pretty solid going forward.

We won, so that's nice.

its downright scary that it took Floro a game and a half to figure out JGL sucks at left back. Farmer to start in his place please with an apology note sent to Allan Zebie.

Handsome Bowtie was outstanding at Panams and his reward? Stapled to the bench, I don't understand that. Can we take Clarke out for another winger? One that might score?

It would nice to see us not in a defensive formation against Cuba, but I hold out no hope.

Clarke wasn't nearly as bad as people are making out.  He missed a few chances but he also created many more for us including the opening goal.  I was actually impressed with him on the wing, he runs well with the ball.  

Agreed. I thought Clarke showed more than either Chapman or Manella, despite being played out of position. Very poor finishing tonight but he has potted some goals at every level he's played.

Agreed. I thought Clarke showed more than either Chapman or Manella, despite being played out of position. Very poor finishing tonight but he has potted some goals at every level he's played.

Clarke was a very solid RM but his finishing is beyond awful. He has a lot of quality in other areas but as CF is supposed to be his main position, I think he may need to switch roles to something else.

We won, so that's nice.

its downright scary that it took Floro a game and a half to figure out JGL sucks at left back. Farmer to start in his place please with an apology note sent to Allan Zebie.

Handsome Bowtie was outstanding at Panams and his reward? Stapled to the bench, I don't understand that. Can we take Clarke out for another winger? One that might score?

It would nice to see us not in a defensive formation against Cuba, but I hold out no hope.

Boakai came off the bench and played well in the first game. It's not like he hasn't played at all. The second game had no need for a player of his skill set.

Instead of these 3 central dmids playing in a 4-1-4-1 i'd like to see a switch to 4-2-3-1 and actually play someone who can attack in the middle, plus our FB's might actually get more help with an extra defensive presence in front of the back four.

----------------------------AJH-----------------------

Petrasso---------------Boakai----------------Fisk

---------------Mannella-------Piette----------------

Instead of these 3 central dmids playing in a 4-1-4-1 i'd like to see a switch to 4-2-3-1 and actually play someone who can attack in the middle, plus our FB's might actually get more help with an extra defensive presence in front of the back four.

----------------------------AJH-----------------------

Petrasso---------------Boakai----------------Fisk

---------------Mannella-------Piette----------------

everyone would like to see that, but it would seem to go against the philosophy of Floro

Edited by Soccerpro

Clarke led the USSDA in scoring at U-18 and is not a bad finisher at USL level. He's not as bad as he showed today; he also has a bit of a strange skillset where he looks more like an attacking midfielder than a center forward at times, and he did play as a #10 during his time in Germany.

There have again been rumours that he wants to leave Vancouver and head back to Germany. I think his attitude that he's a bit above the North American system has hurt his development, after all if he's as good as he thinks he should have scored a lot more on a Whitecaps 2 team that was pretty solid going forward.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to go to Germany again. Honestly, I don't see how he figures into the VWFC plans with his skill set. I don't think it's an attitude thing.

JGL should never again be let anywhere close to starting on a back-line and Grant looks out of his depth to me. I'm really shaking my head at Floro's selection with respect to fullbacks for this tournament. Even with all of the players who apparently weren't made available, I'm sure Zebie and Pasher both had a stroke watching these last two games.

Edited by A_Gagne

JGL should never again be let anywhere close to starting on a back-line and Grant looks out of his depth to me. I'm really shaking my head at Floro's selection with respect to fullbacks for this tournament. Even with all of the players who apparently weren't made available, I'm sure Zebie and Pasher both had a stroke watching these last two games.

And let's give Frano a try! He's been terrific for Sounders2 in USL all season - surely as good or better than Grant. I understand that this is his first camp under Floro, that he was a last minute injury replacement and that the coaches see these guys in practice every day so they know better than us but still.... Frano has been very good. 

I agree with Floro RE: JGL, he is clearly one of our best players.  Yes, he is slow but there is more to the game than speed and he is a big part of the way we play.  Contrast him to Grant who seems to have speed but isn't nearly as intelligent or technically gifted.  

Grant is definitely out of his depth... where is that kid from U20 qualifying who played RB?  I thought he was one of our better players in January.  

Don't look now, but Floro says JGL will be back on the field at LB against Cuba.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/10/04/key-personnel-shift-helps-canadas-under-23-team-seal-first-group-win-vs-panama

Also spouting some bullshit about offense being more important than defence? Contradicting himself when it suits him...

Floro has lost his damn mind. Does anyone around here question why he has gone from job to job in increasinly far flung places over the last decade?

JGL was punished, repeatedly against the U.S. He was abused against Panama. Why should the next game be different? Don't you think the remaining opposition have scouted us and know that we have a slow as molasses left back? He sucked as a DM for the u20s last year and is somehow much worse as a LB! Why the hell wouldn't he play Farmer there? 

Floro is like the coach you had growing up that didn't know what he was doing that made it even harder for your team to. wJn because he kept messing it up.

Edited by Soccerpro

Rob Friend was a great player for us too, but I wouldn't have put him at left back when he gets exposed over and over and over.    I like Floro but he does have a stubborn streak, if he gets critized for something it seems like he digs in his heels and is more apt to continue with his course.  I thought that JGL was going to stay on the field until Panama tied the game.  

Floro has lost his damn mind. Does anyone around here question why he has gone from job to job in increasinly far flung places over the last decade?

JGL was punished, repeatedly against the U.S. He was abused against Panama. Why should the next game be different? Don't you think the remaining opposition have scouted us and know that we have a slow as molasses left back? He sucked as a DM for the u20s last year and is somehow much worse as a LB! Why the hell wouldn't he play Farmer there? 

Floro is like the coach you had growing up that didn't know what he was doing that made it even harder for your team to. wJn because he kept messing it up.

I said early after his hiring that I found suspicious that he had not lasted more than 2 years in any of the jobs he previously held which were numerous.  It seems that the CSA is set on hiring politicians rather than coaches.  Namely Floro and Herdman.  Neither have been able to deliver.

Interesting that Floro will go with JGL, again. 

He is the only left foot capable of playing LB. Farmar appears to be Floro's utility man. He's needed on the bench so that he can come in for Thomas, Gassparotto or JGL when it's clear he's struggling.

Frano is the other player capable of playing on the backline, right back to be exact. It would be wise for Floro to give him a run out at some point against the Cubans so that he can see what the alternative to Grant is. The counter argument is that Grant improved a lot from the game against the USA so it's difficult decision to sit a guy and possibly kill that momentum.

As for Clarke, like I said before I wouldn't mind him staying in the starting 11 and keeping Boakai on the bench. Hanson brings so much energy and changes the game - that's the kind of player you want to bring on as a super sub. He is much more talented than Clarke but I Clarke has shown he is useful and has an ability to create. He is big and doesn't get pushed off the ball easily. He's fast and can beat guys down the line. BUT he wouldn't be as useful as Boakai off the bench. ALL of that being said, I want to see Floro bring him in MUCH sooner. 65th minute or 70th minute sort of thing.

Grant improved from the USA match?  Not at all IMO, he looked lost out there and was playing completely negative anytime he had a touch.  I lost count of how many times he would receive a ball out wide and either pass it back to the central defenders or keeper.  I could overlook this if he was a rock defensively but he really wasn't either. 

I'm more inclined to blame JGL's deficiencies at LB on the Vancouver Whitecaps than on JGL. Of course, it is still incumbent upon Floro to find a more suitable Adekugbe-replacement, especially one that is a natural for that position.

I agree with Floro & Piette that the team looked better in the 3-1 loss than in the 3-1 win, though I imagine having about 1.5 days in between games played a part in that. A good sign when you can win on an off-day and we have to be looking good now to get through to the semi's (a tie should do it). After that we have a series of chances to qualify, hopefully we can take one of them.

Cuba is our bogie team though.  A draw in the last Olympic qualifying set us up for Mexico instead of El Salvador in the semis.  And, they have beaten us in the last 2 rounds of U20 WCQ, basically knocking us out each time.

We have to learn how to beat them.