FINAL UPDATE!!! Canada vs Mexico *Azteca Trip** March 26-30

Admin

I suggest taking the plunge. After my experience in Cuba with this lot. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Stories for years. Probably the best way to introduce yourself to the group.

I hope to be making my deposit for this Mexico trip in the next couple of days.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest taking the plunge. After my experience in Cuba with this lot. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Stories for years. Probably the best way to introduce yourself to the group.

I hope to be making my deposit for this Mexico trip in the next couple of days.

Stories for years indeed! This trip is going to put Cuba to shame, Luchadores! Azteca! Tequila!
T

38 minutes ago, Trillium said:

So my question is ... who might be doing the double, Van on the Friday then down to Mexico City on Saturday ?

I am thinking of a western road trip to visit some folks and then doing both game

If anyones thinking has solidified... post.

I've bought tickets for the home leg and have paid the deposit for the away leg, so I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the double. A Calgary - Van - Mexico City flight is marginally more expensive than direct from Calgary,  so I thought what the hell... 

On 12/9/2015 at 8:23 AM, Trillium said:

So my question is ... who might be doing the double, Van on the Friday then down to Mexico City on Saturday ?

I am thinking of a western road trip to visit some folks and then doing both game

If anyones thinking has solidified... post.

I am but since I live in Vancouver I don't really get points for it.

On 12/10/2015 at 2:42 PM, DontPanic said:

you're the face of soccer. You get points for everything.

Can't wait to see you in the Luchadore ring! Jamie says you totally agreed to do it.

Lord Bob .. has to realize they have skantily clad girls introducing the wrasselers...

No official press release yet on when/where the game will be played. I find this slightly strange. However the official twitter account of the Selección Mexicana has posted this (it confirms Mexico City as the venue):

http://www.twitter.com/miseleccionmx/status/683018724719239168

CXqR6RsU0AAELSW.jpg

FMF has the obligation to inform FIFA and the CSA of the match location at least 60 days before (in this case January 29th at the latest). For those people going, you'll be booking your flights by the end of the month for sure.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/02/59/22/68/regulationsfwc2018russia_short_e_v210415_neutral.pdf (page 31 of 48 in the pdf)

For my part, I must sadly say I'm out. :( I don't have the funds for this one. 2015 was good to me: I went to 4 CanWNT and 4 CanMNT games. 2016 may not be so generous.

If you can make it, you should go. Mexico City is amazing, Azteca is massive and the game will certainly be epic!

26 minutes ago, theaub said:

Seems like per that the venue has to be selected three months in advance (per 21-1) and the 60 day rule is for the kickoff time.

So the CSA should know by now...

Ya, upon reading it again, I think you're right. Well spotted. The CSA should know the venue by now because we are fewer than 3 months to kickoff. We've past Dec 29th.

@DontPanic @admin should have Azteca confirmation from the CSA!

As of today Mexican Media (including Fox Sports) is confirming the game is at Azteca.

I cannot tell you to purchase tickets based on that information. However should you wish to purchase tickets at this time please let me know your flight details.

I wish I did have an official confirmation. The hold up is 100% not with the CSA.

For those flying out of Vancouver has anyone given any thought to which flight you will choose?  They all look pretty terrible (several stops, most arrive the next day).  I'm leaning toward taking one of the cheaper flights with a long stop over in either Portland, Seattle or San Francisco but if a few people are travelling together I would be open to other flights.

17 hours ago, MrsC said:

For those flying out of Vancouver has anyone given any thought to which flight you will choose?  They all look pretty terrible (several stops, most arrive the next day).  I'm leaning toward taking one of the cheaper flights with a long stop over in either Portland, Seattle or San Francisco but if a few people are travelling together I would be open to other flights.

I’m flying Delta via LA. Departs 6:20am from Vancouver, arrives 4:40pm local. Layover is 2 hours 30 on the way there, 4 hours on the return. It was the second-cheapest same-day option when I looked. I paid a little extra to save the one layover. 

4 hours ago, Chris Withers said:

I’m flying Delta via LA. Departs 6:20am from Vancouver, arrives 4:40pm local. Layover is 2 hours 30 on the way there, 4 hours on the return. It was the second-cheapest same-day option when I looked. I paid a little extra to save the one layover. 

That looks like a good flight.  The one way price (I'm returning to Winnipeg instead of Vancouver) is $900 now vs $295 for the cheapest so I probably won't be able to do that one :).  You make a good point about only 1 stop though.  The cheapest same day, 1 stop flight is $539 one way so I will have to give that some thought.

I made the leap and booked my flights to Vancouver and then on to Mexico. An Air Canada flight popped up today from Vancouver to Mexico (one way) for $350 with only one stop over so I Jumped on it.  It feels very real now.

JAN 11, 2016

As of today I am now recommending that you purchase your airline tickets (or contact me to help you).

If you are flying from Vancouver. I suggest the 6:00 AM departure that connects in San Francisco
The flight #'s are AC 5110 connecting to AC 5402
You will arrive in Mexico at 6:18PM and the shuttle will be waiting for you.

If you are flying from Toronto I suggest the direct AC 993 departing at 08:35 AM and arriving at 11:45 AM.
The shuttle will be waiting for you.

If you are flying from anywhere else, please try to arrive close to one of these times.

Archived