FINAL UPDATE!!! Canada vs Mexico *Azteca Trip** March 26-30

Admin

New feature for the trip.

If we win, we will offer Duane Rollins as a sacrifice to exit the stadium safely.

This should please everyone.

Make sure to do it by some incredibly cruel and barbaric Aztec sacrifice ritual. (Harper hasn't set up his hotline in Mexico yet)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@admin In the first post it says you're holding some seats on flights out of YVR. Any idea on cost, or when we'll actually know this game is for sure at Azteca? I'm seeing $589 round trip right now, with a couple of layovers, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Thats a great price, but unfortunately until the game is officially confirmed for Azteca I cant recommend purchasing the airfare. We are expecting it to be confirmed in the next couple of weeks, but it really is up to the Mexican FA.

• 2 weeks later...

At least two different Mexican sports media websites saying in the last 6hrs that the March game will be at Azteca. We are reaching the 97%+ chance that the game will be in Mexico city. No source listed.

http://deportesdaily.com/mexico-y-juan-carlos-osorio-debutan-en-las-eliminatorias-a-rusia-2018-con-cuentas-perfectas/

http://www.aztecadeportes.com/notas/futbol-internacional/2015-11-17-22-58/el-salvador-se-complica--con-empate-sin-goles-ante-canada/

I went ahead and bought my flight. I've got trip insurance, so I can cancel in the unlikely event that the game is somewhere else. $713 for YVR -> LAX -> MEX. The cheapest I saw yesterday was $592 for YVR -> Denver -> Houston -> MEX. I figured it was worth the $120 to not be stuck in Denver for 4.5 hours, but YMMV.

I went ahead and bought my flight. I've got trip insurance, so I can cancel in the unlikely event that the game is somewhere else. $713 for YVR -> LAX -> MEX. The cheapest I saw yesterday was $592 for YVR -> Denver -> Houston -> MEX. I figured it was worth the $120 to not be stuck in Denver for 4.5 hours, but YMMV.

I think that it’s a good thing to wait the confirmation and here’s why: After they announce that the first leg is in Vancouver and the second leg at Azteca there will be tons of Mexicans (Plus 30 of us) that will need to fly Saturday morning out of YVR to Mexico City. I would expect to see a few more alternatives maybe even direct flights scheduled between the 2 cities on March 26. Maybe I am wrong. We’ll see.

I hope this doesn't happen before March; the fewer Mexicans at BC Place the better! (After that I do hope we drop the restriction; Mexicans are generally nice people and I want them to visit our country and spend money here) http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11/18/justin-trudeau-formally-commits-to-lifting-visa-requirement-for-mexicans_n_8587918.html

Im still holding off on recommending buying flights until confirmed, but if you do decide to buy your flights now, because the airfare deals are good, or the space is running out or whatever, then let me know you flight times so I can work on the shuttles for arrival pickups.

• 2 weeks later...

Will I be able to just buy tickets?  Need to finalize some stuff before Christmas but looks like I'll be in Mexico City for work that week.

We want everyone to go and have a great time and be safe, so the tickets might be contingent on arriving with the group and security. So yes, as long as you can join us in time for the pre game event. Im sure we can make it work.

Hi.

First time poster.  Just signed up to the site because this trip interests me very much.

As a casual sports fan, can some of you please put into context what this experience would be like?  I've heard stories of the Azteca - is it true it's one of the soccer meccas of the world?

I once went to a Canada/Jamaica qualifier at BMO Field and got outcheered by a jovial, Jamaican crowd.  It was irritating.

I've been to Sochi to watch the Olympics ... was one of the greatest times of my life.

Perhaps just wondering if this would be suitable for a guy who doesn't know Tosaint Ricketts from Paul Peschisolido.  Neither of which I probably spelled right.  I've just always been an arm's length fan of Canadian Soccer - thinking this might be a good excuse to take the plunge.

You all seem like a fun lot though - I'm sure we'd bond over brews and senoritas.  Just feels like one of those stories to tell your grand kids kind of trips.

Anyone else have experience like this? Travelling to support the away team in hostile territory?  Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks for weighing in!

Hi.

First time poster.  Just signed up to the site because this trip interests me very much.

As a casual sports fan, can some of you please put into context what this experience would be like?  I've heard stories of the Azteca - is it true it's one of the soccer meccas of the world?

I once went to a Canada/Jamaica qualifier at BMO Field and got outcheered by a jovial, Jamaican crowd.  It was irritating.

I've been to Sochi to watch the Olympics ... was one of the greatest times of my life.

Perhaps just wondering if this would be suitable for a guy who doesn't know Tosaint Ricketts from Paul Peschisolido.  Neither of which I probably spelled right.  I've just always been an arm's length fan of Canadian Soccer - thinking this might be a good excuse to take the plunge.

You all seem like a fun lot though - I'm sure we'd bond over brews and senoritas.  Just feels like one of those stories to tell your grand kids kind of trips.

Anyone else have experience like this? Travelling to support the away team in hostile territory?  Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks for weighing in!

I've only ever travelled to support the Whitecaps on away trips, never the national team. They're either the worst or the best, but they're always memorable. And yeah, Azteca is what lured me... that and the promise of paid security for the group.

Hi.

Thanks for weighing in!

I traveled to Greece to see Canada play a few years ago and it was excellent experience. It was a little nerve racking at first because I didn't know what to expect but in the end I found that almost everyone I met, both fellow Voyageurs and Greek fans alike, were all kind and welcoming. I made lasting friendships with some of the guys I met on that trip that I still see a few times a year. 

If I could I would be going to this match as I know Trevor (DontPanic) and Jamie (socceronly) will make sure it's an amazing time for everyone.

Archived