Congrats to Cyle Larin on MLS Rookie Record

apbsmith

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yes, that's a very special skill in my opinion. That's one of the biggest reasons why I think his ceiling is so high. Honestly, Messi is the only other player I have noticed that is able to take this kind of shot. There are likely others, but none that I have noticed.

There are others. It's not just Larin and Messi who can pull off this skill.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some random observations from Larin's win of the 24 under 24.

First off, it should have been 22 under 22 since 24 is considered mature in other leagues. 

Larin is the only Canadian on the list which doesn't bode well for the national team and questions the merit of the MLS developing Canadian players.

4 of the previous 6 winners have moved to Europe. Though Brek Shea has come back. 

One of the previous winners was Darren Mattocks. 

29 minutes ago, red card said:

Some random observations from Larin's win of the 24 under 24.

First off, it should have been 22 under 22 since 24 is considered mature in other leagues. 

Larin is the only Canadian on the list which doesn't bode well for the national team and questions the merit of the MLS developing Canadian players.

4 of the previous 6 winners have moved to Europe. Though Brek Shea has come back. 

One of the previous winners was Darren Mattocks. 

Jay Chapman was on the "biggest 24 under 24 snubs" list. That is something at least.

I think he'll make it next year if he continues to improve, as should Hamilton. Babouli funny enough will be too old. Goes to show he's not really a prospect.

Also, Davies has a shot next year, as does Froese if he can come back and get in the Whitecaps side. 

12 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Anyone else notice that he has an ability to get a shot off while virtually standing still.  A few of his goals i notice that he is able to just rifle it into the corner from the 18 yard line while barely leaning into the shot.

recent example but I have seen him do it before:

Great article talking about Larin that was obviously inspired by your post (I am convinced that Matt Doyle is a closet V).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/23/armchair-analyst-larin-leads-pack-more-radar-week-29

4th video down the page is the best example of the no backswing shot.

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Great article talking about Larin that was obviously inspired by your post (I am convinced that Matt Doyle is a closet V).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/23/armchair-analyst-larin-leads-pack-more-radar-week-29

4th video down the page is the best example of the no backswing shot.

Yeah not many people can get a shot off like that.  Most people need space and time to lean into a shot. It almost looks like has practiced it or has just naturally has very strong hip/leg muscles to generate the power needed.

This goal right here is the one where I first noticed it:

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

He should try to get to Europe ASAP before his skills deteriorate in MLS. 

Question is: where should he go? If I had to pick a club from the rumoured dozen that have asked about him, I'd pick Genk, where he would earn a good number of minutes against solid competition and develop, rather than one of the larger clubs.

I'd go bigger than Genk too. If he was fresh out of college I'd say otherwise. What's the point of Genk when he's already attracting interest of big European clubs? It's not really a middle step coming from Orlando City.

I think he's ready to have a go at a Sporting or Benfica. He's only going to get better as he's surrounded by more talented attackers who can feed him.

I'd stay away from the big four leagues of Europe.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I'd go bigger than Genk too. If he was fresh out of college I'd say otherwise. What's the point of Genk when he's already attracting interest of big European clubs? It's not really a middle step coming from Orlando City.

I think he's ready to have a go at a Sporting or Benfica. He's only going to get better as he's surrounded by more talented attackers who can feed him.

I'd stay away from the big four leagues of Europe.

I agree stay away from the big 4 but I think Benfica would be a similar situation. I wasn't aware of Sporting

Unless the transfer fee is quite high, I'm not sure that Larin gets transferred anywhere for another year.

Don't forget that because Larin is a Generation Adidas player, that Orlando City only get a portion of the transfer fee that Larin would fetch. The amount that Orlando would receive from a transfer increases with another year in MLS. According to this article. If Orlando were to currently sell Larin they would receive 50% of the transfer fee, with MLS receiving the other 50%. If Larin stays in Orlando another year, they would receive 66%.

http://www.themaneland.com/2016/4/29/11530436/orlando-city-sell-cyle-larin-this-summer-lazio-molde-transfer-rumors

As for where I think would be best suited for him, anywhere that he can get regular minutes at a higher level than he is currently playing would be fine by me.

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Unless the transfer fee is quite high, I'm not sure that Larin gets transferred anywhere for another year.

Don't forget that because Larin is a Generation Adidas player, that Orlando City only get a portion of the transfer fee that Larin would fetch. The amount that Orlando would receive from a transfer increases with another year in MLS. According to this article. If Orlando were to currently sell Larin they would receive 50% of the transfer fee, with MLS receiving the other 50%. If Larin stays in Orlando another year, they would receive 66%.

http://www.themaneland.com/2016/4/29/11530436/orlando-city-sell-cyle-larin-this-summer-lazio-molde-transfer-rumors

As for where I think would be best suited for him, anywhere that he can get regular minutes at a higher level than he is currently playing would be fine by me.

I've read they're looking for offers of $10million.

I actually think that Genk would be a good place for him to develop.  The Jupiler has been growing in prominence as a feeder league, and Genk is a team that is consistently playing in Europe.  At 21, Larin has another couple of years before he starts being viewed as a finished product.  One or two good years in Belgium could springboard him into a higher league. If the asking fee is really $10 million, it is doubtful that any Belgium team would shell out that much for a potential diamond in the rough.  

I hope that he does not end up at Sporting.  With Dost scoring goals and the likes of Campbell and Castaignos struggling for playing time, Larin would have a helluva time getting on the field.  

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Are these new rumours, or are they the highly skeptical Lazio / Benfica rumours that came out in the summer? If they're new, what reliable source is saying this?

Mlsmultiplex have reported it and espn called the figure too high

If he does go to a place like Sporting and can't crack the starting 11, at least he might get loaned somewhere decent. Campbell is already on loan from Arsenal, so unless he's making an immediate impact they have no incentive to play him, as he is not their investment.

Archived