Congrats to Cyle Larin on MLS Rookie Record

apbsmith

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/20/2016 at 7:05 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Orlando has some kind of special deal with Benfica then?

I always thought such things were senseless, if you have half-decent scouting you should go for whoever suits you, anywhere, anytime, regardless of "agreements". And if you have a half-decent front office, any agreement can be picked and made at will.

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/club/partner-clubs

I'm not sure how much this affects prospective transfers though, like if they have a right of first refusal or anything.  maybe not.

• 3 weeks later...

Larin is a boss. I am so proud to see him replicate his form from last season. I hope he can pass his total from last season, he needs 7 goals and has 14 games left, I think. 

I think with him and Akindele, we have at least two players who are relatively acclimatized to the heat and humidity. 

Perhaps they will both play heavy minutes down in Honduras?

• 2 weeks later...

TSN had a great interview with Larin and Laryea at half time last night. Cool how two good friends who grew up playing together ended up being drafted by the same team. Hopefully Laryea gets a shot this year. He was taken 2 spots before Endoh so he is hopefully MLS quality. 

On 25/08/2016 at 4:57 PM, Stryker911 said:

TSN had a great interview with Larin and Laryea at half time last night. Cool how two good friends who grew up playing together ended up being drafted by the same team. Hopefully Laryea gets a shot this year. He was taken 2 spots before Endoh so he is hopefully MLS quality. 

That might have been a replay of an interview from a few months ago, I'll post it if I can find it

Edit: this one? 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Some new speculation of Larin's future from a known rumour mill, so take this with a grain of salt.

Off season loan? Sounds like a perfect way to test the waters 

I'm not sure if La Liga suits him perfectly, but exposure to as many styles as possible is useful considering the smorgasbord of places our top end guys end up playing in

14 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I hope he goes to Europe. If he is going to get better I think he needs that kind of challenge. And now, while he is still relatively young. His scoring record in MLS certainly is outstanding. He now needs a bigger challenge.

In my opinion add a caveat to the 'to Europe' comment. I want him to go to Europe on a team in a top 4 league or a team with a realistic chance at Champions League from other European leagues. Also a team that wants him and wants him to compete for a starting spot right away. Any team lower than that and it is not a step up. Any move that is not an immediate chance to break into the starting line-up and it is a step back.

On 11/9/2016 at 4:46 PM, Complete Homer said:

Off season loan? Sounds like a perfect way to test the waters 

I'm not sure if La Liga suits him perfectly, but exposure to as many styles as possible is useful considering the smorgasbord of places our top end guys end up playing in

That is odd since Granada is coached by Jémez, and Jemez's teams play very well, beautifully at times, but have problems getting results. They are very open and attacking with strong skill sets, but tend to be vulnerable, they lack a bit of defensive rigidity. Like Rayo last year. 

It is possible Rayo people at NASL had scouted Larin, otherwise how would Jémez say yes to a player like this, how would he know? 

Granada was owned by the same folks as Udinense, the Pozzo family (Watford also),  but just sold it to a Chinese businessman a couple months ago. But they have money, and some nice talent, Peñaranda the Venezuelan wonderkid was there, also at the other two teams of the Pozzo group. So they do try younger players as well.

Anyways, the immediate consequence of playing in the Liga for a player like Larin would be thinking that maybe 4 goals over half a season starting January would be a huge success. Not like MLS by any means. But he'd mature, boy would he, and with Jemez he'd learn a lot, he's a total contrast with Floro for example. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great piece praising Larin by former Everton goal-scorer Adrian Heath.

" Last year he told me his goal was to play in Europe. We spoke about it the first day. I told him it takes hard work and he’d have to commit himself and be dedicated and he’s done that. I’ve worked in the Premier League and the English Championship. I still spend time there when I take time off and go to Everton or elsewhere and watch them up-close in training. I have no doubt in my mind if he stays committed to the process he can achieve being at one of them clubs. And he can be successful there.
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-potential-orlando-city-mls-europe-adrian-heath-premier-league#QPO7Hi6MLXVEOGmt.99 "

45 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

"Only goalscorer in top-7 without a PK attempt" That is an impressive stat. He should be demanding some penalties for himself now.

Well Kaka is their designated penalty taker, so I imagine that would be difficult to argue.

I definitely have to agree that it's a great stat though, and one that a lot of his detractors on this forum fail to realise

5 minutes ago, Zem said:

Well Kaka is their designated penalty taker, so I imagine that would be difficult to argue.

I definitely have to agree that it's a great stat though, and one that a lot of his detractors on this forum fail to realise

Kreis: "We prefer a former Ballou d'Or take the PK"

Larin: "Then re-sign me to a DP retirement deal in 2030"

Anyone else notice that he has an ability to get a shot off while virtually standing still.  A few of his goals i notice that he is able to just rifle it into the corner from the 18 yard line while barely leaning into the shot.

recent example but I have seen him do it before:

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Anyone else notice that he has an ability to get a shot off while virtually standing still.  A few of his goals i notice that he is able to just rifle it into the corner from the 18 yard line while barely leaning into the shot.

Yes, that's a very special skill in my opinion. That's one of the biggest reasons why I think his ceiling is so high. Honestly, Messi is the only other player I have noticed that is able to take this kind of shot. There are likely others, but none that I have noticed.

Archived