Vancouver confirmed - Nov 13 vs Honduras

FootieFool

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great idea, is there anything we can do as a group to get this idea out to those that can implement it?

I don't want this to turn into just talk.

I agree. I love this idea. Put them on second deck but on the upper most part of the second deck as well. Have a lot of securty around and any piss-bag throwers will be identified and booked via internal stadium CCTV. 

They should open the upper deck for the Honduran fans and put them in the worst spot of the upper deck and ban Honduran jerseys in the lower bowl.

I personally hate having opposing fans behind me or above me, maybe from a bad experience of being bombarded by Panathinaikos fans in Camp Nou once.

Seriously, opening the upper deck ruins the atmosphere in the stadium, you'd have to sell at least half to justify it and they won't. As I see it, if the contingent is small, let's say below a thousand, it makes the atmosphere more electric and we'll still dominate. But yes, open up say 2 sections to them, and give them another if they sell it out, all together-- and do not allow visiting fans in a whole set of sections. Keep them clear out of the hardcore CDN area.

You'd be surprised how some people in some south and Central American countries earn, almost the same as middle class here or higher and have a way higher quality of life than us. I know I lived there four years.

Don't think you have to live there to know that yes, some people do make the same as our middle class, and due to the overall GDP they have a higher quality of life (if you don't mind fears of kidnapping, education opportunities for your kids, etc).  It's not exactly news to say that rich people in developing countries have a high standard of living (aforementioned concerns aside).  When we're talking ticket prices, a lot of the people going to games down there AREN'T in the small minority you've described.

Who is interested in continuing the tradition of a supporters match before the Nov 13 game? There are a few fields available near by, such as Andy Livingstone turf field, I know most locals will be working but out of town V's should be free. I was thinking from 2 to 4 pm or 3 to 5. What do you guys think. We would need enough players to chip in for the field rental. I'm currently looking up the cost. 

I don't mean to be offensive to BlackOps but his whole "tickets are too expensive" thing is coming across as a big whinge, particularly when he tries to justify his argument by saying how much it costs when buying the MOST EXPENSIVE tickets!!! So no real need to rebut any of his rather lame justifications. Just compare to the cost of all other forms of entertainment in Canada, sporting and otherwise, and it is clear the ticket prices for this WCQ are more than fair.

Another thing the CSA have clearly got right for this match. Very nice to see, I was getting very tired of complaining about them!

I think you're really missing my point. I can go to the game by myself and buy their 25$, 40$ or 60$ seat. But for those that have families that's a bit high. And would I pay $60 to watch Canada nope. $25 is probably the most I'd pay if I were living nearby. Ive been to WCQ and friendlies and have driven many kms and flown to watch matches so it's not a matter of me not affording it.

CSA asks too much for the product they put on the field. Would you pay that much to watch a B movie in theaters? Probably not unless you're a hardcore Jean Claude Van Damme fan and just have to see Universal Soldier 4 on the big screen. If I'm wrong why are there only 10,000 people going to their games and not selling out? Why are half those in attendance rooting for the opposition? Maybe it's cause of poor marketing maybe it's cause for those that follow other football ie BPL la liga or other international men's sides etc the quality of our MNT is sub par so therefore not many would pay to see it or even watch it on tv. Maybe that explains why nobody in this country broadcasts our games!!!

If you want to talk business I'm sure you've heard of supply and demand? Yes? Well I don't think people are going crazy for CSA MNT soccer. So if the demand is low why are the prices high? Don't give me that crap that it's all relative to other entertainment. Just cause they fix the price to match going to the movies, theatre, or a nice dinner doesn't mean it brings you the same bang for the buck. I go to a good movie I'm entertained I go to a nice steak dinner I'm full and it was delicious. For the same price ( cause it's relative) I go to a Canada game, I leave frustrated and wonder how they fucked up that shot at an empty net.

I also said that we as Canadians pay too much for things in general, so much so it's becoming a trend, especially for what most people earn in our shitty economic times where prices are jacked up and people's incomes aren't (not relative). If you don't fall in that category good for you bro. We are slowly becoming a third world country and a serious divide between higher and lower class is emerging and becoming more apparent.

If CSA wants more people in the stadium aside from better marketing which I believe we have a forum on is they should lower their prices so more families can come. Soccer in Canada is the largest registered sport no? So why aren't people coming out in droves to watch the Canada Selection Maestro?

They are simply not worth the price they ask. For $25 I sat right behind the net for the Concacaf Champions League final. If you ask me that is greater than a WCQ Canada vs Honduras.

Now if by chance they sellout and the stadium is packed with a sea of red I'll stand corrected.

Who is interested in continuing the tradition of a supporters match before the Nov 13 game? There are a few fields available near by, such as Andy Livingstone turf field, I know most locals will be working but out of town V's should be free. I was thinking from 2 to 4 pm or 3 to 5. What do you guys think. We would need enough players to chip in for the field rental. I'm currently looking up the cost.

I am in assuming I am there (90% sure I will be).

Turns out University is out for that week! Me and a buddy will be flying in to Van for the game from Calgary. Any other Calgary folk making it out?

I'm planning on being there. Just trying to sort out some things at work as to when I can fly out. Ideal would be to fly out of Calgary on Thursday night, but worst case is catching a flight on Friday AM. Let me know your travel plans, would be fun to be on a flight with some fellow V's (and get the pre-game beverages going!).

I'm planning on being there. Just trying to sort out some things at work as to when I can fly out. Ideal would be to fly out of Calgary on Thursday night, but worst case is catching a flight on Friday AM. Let me know your travel plans, would be fun to be on a flight with some fellow V's (and get the pre-game beverages going!).

WestJet for $362 leaving Thurs night and $372 leaving Friday morning, both with a Saturday return. Air Canada $372 with either departure.

9 Honduran nation squad members play for the Olimpia squad that just played the Caps, too bad they got a feel for the turf and the stadium. Unfortunate timing. 

That means more Honduran squad members will be familiar with BC Place than Canadian squad members. :(

They had six Olimpia players at the Gold Cup, two keepers included. Then Quioto, who was injured in the bump with Tornaghi, will probably be out. So that could be 4 field players and the keepers. 

Having played on the pitch recently is definitely a plus for them, for the whole team, it takes the whole question of unfamiliarity or field conditions away. 

I'm a Vancouverite but I would have preferred to see us play in Ottawa in Grey Cup final conditions. 

They had six Olimpia players at the Gold Cup, two keepers included. Then Quioto, who was injured in the bump with Tornaghi, will probably be out. So that could be 4 field players and the keepers. 

Having played on the pitch recently is definitely a plus for them, for the whole team, it takes the whole question of unfamiliarity or field conditions away. 

I'm a Vancouverite but I would have preferred to see us play in Ottawa in Grey Cup final conditions. 

Listen, if any Olimpia outfield players see the field it is a good thing because it means that Honduras are not fielding their best squad - which they didn't at the Gold Cup. The only two Olimpia guys i could see making any difference for them other than the keepers are Mejia and Rojas. Mejia would be playing in CM in place of either Garrido, Claros or Espinoza so that's good and Rojas would be up top in place of either Najar or Bengston and that's not happening so maybe off the bench instead of this new guy Castillo - which would be awesome for us.

It remains to be seen what will be done if they buy in other areas of the stadium; strictly speaking, anybody wearing any H gear anywhere but the away section should be thrown out by security.

Come on CSA, you are so close to doing this right - make it happen!

Yeah, this won't happen.  Maybe in our section but even then I'd be surprised if an usher/security actually cared that much.  They're definitely not going to ask some middle-aged Honduran fan and his family to leave a sit-down section away from either supporters' end...  that kind of inter-mingling is standard in North America

I am most likely not coming but this should def be done

Archived