Vancouver confirmed - Nov 13 vs Honduras

FootieFool

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id love to come from Toronto but being Friday instead of Saturday sort of sucks and the current flight prices I am looking at don't help either. Gotta save those funds for the Azteca!!!!Happy for Vancouver but also sad(greedily) that there might not be any at BMO this round. These round 4 games last cycle were awesome going with groups of 10-15 friends, painting banners, making flags and confetti. Do it up Vancouver!

I'd certainly feel less uneasy if we played somewhere virtually guaranteed to be cold and nasty. If it turns out to be lovely warm, sunny day or the roof somehow gets closed, man I'll be pissed at the CSA.

I believe the cold and nasty effect is being overblown.  You have to remember that even though some of our players grew up in Canada, most play regularly in a decent climate.  This is why we can't go to Fort MacMurray in November, because it will have as adverse an effect on us as it does them.  We need it to be cold, but not too cold.  Somewhere that will hamper them but only mildly inconvenience us.

The thing with this qualifying round is that this is the first time in awhile where we have games in both November and March, which will help us.  In the past we've always had games in June, August and September, which doesn't really give us an advantage, but this time, we only have El Salvador in September.

I like the choice of BC Place.  We can still adequately prepare but it should still be cold enough to throw off their training leading up to the game.  Plus it seems to be a 12 hour flight from San Pedro Sula.  I assume they'll get together locally in Honduras to train before traveling to Vancouver.  Unfortunately, we're setting ourselves up for a 9-10 hour flight to El Salvador after the game.

Honduras is 1 hr time diff from Vancouver, so that is their advantage. We'll have players like Hutch coming from 10 hrs away in terms of time zones (@20 hrs of travelling). Only Johnson and Teibert amongst usual players are in the same time zone.

The MLS players whose teams are out of playoffs can always travel earlier, but still, it does put a stress on our European core players more than theirs based in Honduras and MLS.

As for temperatures, what is better: nice day and good turnout? Or crappy day, empty seats and discomfort for the rival? 

Its too bad the Floro and the CSA can't see past their egos and reach out again to disgruntled Nats players. If Cavallini, Hoillet, Occean and some others were pursuaded with a nice pep talk and Floro would go out of his way to visit them and be more diplomatic like Robbo, we couldNvr maybe convinced them to suit a game or two. If we had 2 of those 3 players on the field, I think Canada might've more fight for that 2nd place. Sometimes one has to be a diplomat when being a Nats coach as beggars can't be choosers on who we shun.

Its too bad the Floro and the CSA can't see past their egos and reach out again to disgruntled Nats players. If Cavallini, Hoillet, Occean and some others were pursuaded with a nice pep talk and Floro would go out of his way to visit them and be more diplomatic like Robbo, we couldNvr maybe convinced them to suit a game or two. If we had 2 of those 3 players on the field, I think Canada might've more fight for that 2nd place. Sometimes one has to be a diplomat when being a Nats coach as beggars can't be choosers on who we shun.

Oh, that's right, I completely forgot that all Hoilett and Cavalini needed was a pep talk in order to get them to play for Canada.  So simple!  :rolleyes:

That's what we need. ... not only play on a pitch they are not familiar with - but also play with players they've never played with before ...

We should organize large group watches in Toronto and Hamilton. Real Sports on the main screen in Toronto? If not we Shoeless...but shoot for the stars and let's go mainstream. As for Hamilton -?

Yeah, a Hamilton viewing party might be in order, I can spend some of the money I save from passing on a $800+ flight!

I know it's not the most convienent for people but if a massive gathering is what is wanted, maybe we should aim for all non traveling southern ontario v's to get together for the game. A Friday night at (insert bar) with a couple hundred v's would be awesome

I was considering attending the match, flights from Hamilton and Toronto have gone up almost $300 in the last few days, sadly, I'm out!

Keep an eye out for it changing again.  For Vancouver they tend to release more cheap seats as things go on; I was watching closely back in July, and the cheap seats would all vanish, and mostly reappear again a few days later.

I doubt tickets will be cheaper for the March game, given that it's on Good Friday.  (I can't imagine the March game being anywhere else other than BC - unless they want to play in the Big O).

Keep an eye out for it changing again.  For Vancouver they tend to release more cheap seats as things go on; I was watching closely back in July, and the cheap seats would all vanish, and mostly reappear again a few days later.

I doubt tickets will be cheaper for the March game, given that it's on Good Friday.  (I can't imagine the March game being anywhere else other than BC - unless they want to play in the Big O).

Hamilton or Ottawa?

Playing Mexico in one of those cities outdoors in March on turf would benefit us more so than them. Even some of our European based players are playing in Scandinavian leagues during that time.

Average temperature in Hamilton in late March is a low of 0 degrees, high of 9 degrees. Yes please.

We should organize large group watches in Toronto and Hamilton. Real Sports on the main screen in Toronto? If not we Shoeless...but shoot for the stars and let's go mainstream. As for Hamilton -?

We usually end up at Scallywags or The Duke.  It's been pretty good times there so far.

They've been great, attended the Duke several times....only great things to say about the bar, staff, etc.

But have we ever tried for a place like Real Sports? Totally different level and atmosphere. If we can manage to get the GM for a real sports to buy in there would be a huge upside to a change. Perhaps even get Umbro and the CSA involved and make it an official event. With all due respect, the two venues are not in the same league.

Congrats to BC V's! Good luck in selling out the stadium and maximizing home support noise. 

One thing we can put to bed is the question from those saying -

"They'd never make the Men's team play on turf..."

Goose = Gander 

Gander Nfld, now that's an idea for a home game!

Thanks Jamie for organizing - I was the lad who went to Margarita's with you and your buddy during GC 2013 - see you in November!

Gander Nfld, now that's an idea for a home game!

Thanks Jamie for organizing - I was the lad who went to Margarita's with you and your buddy during GC 2013 - see you in November!

Zach was on the ground with the CSA in Vancouver.

There are a lot people stepping up to make this game a good one.

Archived