Vancouver confirmed - Nov 13 vs Honduras

FootieFool

I'm from Van though won't make it, but still: I don't like the choice.

And it is not the weather, I think if you believe in your chances you don't need to worry about weather. It's travelling time and jet lag. Vancouver favours players in Honduras, Central America and even N America, which is where all but 5 of the last call-up play. They have little lag and same flight distance as to back east, while ours, with so many based in Europe, is worse (lag) and longer (flights). 

So straight off we are letting Honduras off easy, and on top of it playing where it is least likely to be pushing zero degrees. 

I am sure Vancouver fans will come out strong, hoping for a lower-tier sellout. They should give Whitecaps fans an option IMO.

PS. Could we try not to be totally idiotic telling people spending 750 on a flight how to save a buck forty on a glass of beer?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it is not the weather, I think if you believe in your chances you don't need to worry about weather. It's travelling time and jet lag. Vancouver favours players in Honduras, Central America and even N America, which is where all but 5 of the last call-up play. They have little lag and same flight distance as to back east, while ours, with so many based in Europe, is worse (lag) and longer (flights). 

So straight off we are letting Honduras off easy, and on top of it playing where it is least likely to be pushing zero degrees. 

I am sure Vancouver fans will come out strong, hoping for a lower-tier sellout. They should give Whitecaps fans an option IMO.

PS. Could we try not to be totally idiotic telling people spending 750 on a flight how to save a buck forty on a glass of beer?

If someone is genuinely trying to help others save a buck, who are you to tell them not to?

The Patricia is about a 10 minute walk away and as cheap as it gets. No AC but that shouldn't be a problem in Nov. Stayed there for 4 days this summer and Pat's Pub is the best part of the place. Too bad about the 700+ for airfare. Hopefully there are some sales on at half or less.

At least our midfield general can drive to the game from his place   :)

Hey, every little dollar helps. You know how expensive Vancouver is and believe me even at Whitecaps games, a lot of fans go to Costco and buy pizzas, sandwiches in bulk, because they know how much the bars in downtown gouge you. you spend about $20-25 bucks per pitcher and then 15-20 bucks on Nacho, cheese and beef appetisizeds in a typical downtown pub and the costs add up. Unless you bring a lot of cash to Van, then by all means done in downtown Van.

Hey, every little dollar helps. You know how expensive Vancouver is and believe me even at Whitecaps games, a lot of fans go to Costco and buy pizzas, sandwiches in bulk, because they know how much the bars in downtown gouge you. you spend about $20-25 bucks per pitcher and then 15-20 bucks on Nacho, cheese and beef appetisizeds in a typical downtown pub and the costs add up. Unless you bring a lot of cash to Van, then by all means done in downtown Van.

Sounds pretty reasonable coming from Calgary. Anyone making the trip? I'm seeing $371 for Thursday night to Sunday, kinda steep for an hour flight...

I am happy with the city chosen, but the venue leaves a lot to be desired. Will it be under the dome? Will it be on the fake surface? Also, Vancouver has a large Central American population and is easy for Hondurans from the US west coast to get there. Even though Vancouver is only a six hour drive for me, I'd rather have seen it played in a place with a real Canadian winter. I truly believe the Central Americans are intimidated by the weather. When I lived in Honduras a cold day was anything below 30 degrees. Like Bolivia's altitude, our winter could be a big advantage if we used it.

I am happy with the city chosen, but the venue leaves a lot to be desired. Will it be under the dome? Will it be on the fake surface? Also, Vancouver has a large Central American population and is easy for Hondurans from the US west coast to get there. Even though Vancouver is only a six hour drive for me, I'd rather have seen it played in a place with a real Canadian winter. I truly believe the Central Americans are intimidated by the weather. When I lived in Honduras a cold day was anything below 30 degrees. Like Bolivia's altitude, our winter could be a big advantage if we used it.

I dont think the venue leaves a lot to be desired. Swanguard was too small. The turf is fine. The roof will be open as stated in the presser.

Good to hear about the roof being open.

The vast country of Canada can be quite cruel and unforgiving during the fall and winter months. While some supporters have clamoured for a home World Cup Qualifying fixture in the frigid climates of Whitehorse, Edmonton, or Winnipeg, Tthat seems to to never really have been in the cards. An optimistic Montagliani is hoping that a ridge of arctic air moves into Vancouver.

"It gets pretty cold in Vancouver too, that's why the roof's going to be open. I've been playing in Edmonton in November myself and it was warmer than it was here. There's some places you just can't play in November. The stadiums are not even operational, but the reality is that I'm hoping that it's one of those bone chilling nights in Vancouver that we sometimes get in November."

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2015/CanMNTheadtoVancouvertokickoff4thRoundof.aspx

The CSA has been getting climate questions! Seems like they do somewhat hope for the cold.

Was anyone else a little annoyed that Tiebert was rocking Whitesnake torn up designer jeans to interview representing Canada?  Come on bro, we're trying to avoid seeming metro.  You're killing me.

Not really. He seemed relaxed, happy and relatively confident; a good contrast to Benito who looked his usual serious/glum. Tiebert interviews well.

About the press conference, here: 

Starting m. 30, what is that? The presentation was not very professional did not think, starting with Sandra, coughing and mixing up names. They said nothing about the camp leading into the match, but likely starting the previous Monday. 

Victor did say that starting Wednesday there would be ticket opportunities for special groups, "insiders", so would that mean us? Clubs? I hope that they specificially ask Hondurans to buy in a single section as it is way better not to mix, which the CSA usually ignores.

Also said they would start with the lower tier, but were open to more. I don't think we can pull in more though, 20,000 is a reasonable threshold for now and better for atmosphere. 

I am assuming that Honduras had to agree to play on the turf, or do we not have to even ask the rival about that any more?

Archived