Belize-Canada Sept 8 Pre-Game

Unnamed Trialist

Thread to start discussing the match between Belize and Canada, 2nd leg of the World Cup Qualifier to gain entry into the Concacaf semi-final round.

Game: FFB Stadium, Belmopán, Belize

Start Time19.00 local (21.00 ET / 18.00 PT)

RefereesJavier Santos of Puerto Rico. AR's are Jairo Morales & Henry Pupiro. 4O is William Anderson.

TV: Euroworld Sport, Rogers 425/TLN + CSA webcast

Optional TV: Belize online streams

First Round: Canada 3 - Belize 0

Any changes for the next match to the starting 11?

Has Julian de Guzmán recovered from his knock, and did he even travel to Belize? Will Piette be automatically taking his spot?

Should Canada look to defend the result and get through, or use the match to work on new tactics, and take risks in prep for semis?

Will any Voyageurs be heard on the TV broadcasts? About which, will the CSA get theirs to work right from the start this time?

I'll start.

It would be logical to give Borjan a run, but usually you do not change keepers in the middle of a good run. Nothing against Borjan, you just have to stick with Stama and at least three of the back line for defensive continuity. 

I also think you have to play Hutch and Johnson. JDG's spot could shift, to Piette, to Teibert. 

Since Ricketts scored he stays on. Haber is a sub, he won't start. In any case I think Floro would like Larin to have a big day for us to get over this bad spell and gain confidence going into next round. 

Issey may come off, maybe for Tesho. I don't see why though, and on top of things Issey is very used to the heat. 

Depending on results we could see Adekugbe, or Petrasso. And maybe even a few minutes for Bekker just so Floro can prove a point. But only if we have clearly gotten past Belize into the second half. In the end, beyond capping or anything else, Floro will sub the players most affected by the heat or losing freshness around m. 60. 

Going into the fall, is Borjan not going to be our guy? He should start.

Seems Floro is rewarding Stama for coming to the Gold Cup. Against Belize, Stamma or Milan doesn't really matter. But it looks like Milan has at least won a share of the starters duties in Buglaria so id like to see him start come 4th round. 

I feel another ricketts goal tonight. Hopefully Larin can get on the score sheet as I think he has been a little dry lately in Orlando if I recall correctly.  If Petrasso is fit, I would love to see him get 15 minutes if we are in the clear by that time. I want to see a clean sheet today from the Reds. 

I feel another ricketts goal tonight. Hopefully Larin can get on the score sheet as I think he has been a little dry lately in Orlando if I recall correctly.  If Petrasso is fit, I would love to see him get 15 minutes if we are in the clear by that time. I want to see a clean sheet today from the Reds. 

The game is tomorrow

Thoughts (hopes?) for tonight: I’d like to see either Petrasso or Adekugbe get capped tonight. Also, I wonder if Larin takes a seat and Akindele starts up top? Stama starts between the sticks. Teibert in for Issey.  We’ll see . . . . . 

I'd be ok with all of that, but Teibert for Issey should be a must.

I'm still not 100% on board with Floro's selection and have no idea what he's gonna roll out, biggest fear would be seeing Bekker take the pitch.

Thoughts (hopes?) for tonight: I’d like to see either Petrasso or Adekugbe get capped tonight. Also, I wonder if Larin takes a seat and Akindele starts up top? Stama starts between the sticks. Teibert in for Issey.  We’ll see . . . . . 

Yes, I think Akindele would be a good choice for up top we haven't had a chance to see him there yet and his last match for FC Dallas he played up there and he had his best game of the season.  

I think aside from Jakovic, we saw Floro's first choice team last Friday, the team that will start against Honduras.

Larin is clearly the chosen one up top.  Hope he scores today for confidence.

Issey over Akindele im not so confident about, but I can live with it.    

Ricketts has started almost every game for Floro and that wont change.  Teibert or Issey (or Jackson or REB) on the RW would be my preference, but Ricketts does have his strengths and he is scoring.  

The rest of the team picks itself.  

Do you guys really think that Stama will be our starter in semis? I mean, he is a very solid pro, I saw him play 10 years ago and he was good (Can vs. Spain), really solid in fact, so I don't doubt it. I am not even sure he's had a bad game for us, not like others we can point to. 

Thing is, if Floro thinks deep down that Borjan is the better keeper, he should let him start today to set the precedent, or at least get the two keepers in a competitive mode with each other. 

If Belize keep 8-10 men in their own box all match again, I'd say Canada 2-0 Belize.

If they actually decide to go for it at home I'll say Canada 6 - 1 Belize

If they do get a goal that would be a major disapointment. If Floro's system can't keep a clean sheet against a minnow might aswell give up now.

If they do get a goal that would be a major disapointment. If Floro's system can't keep a clean sheet against a minnow might aswell give up now.

Freak goals can happen at any time so I wouldn't go that far, I'd judge the team on how they defend as a unit over 90 minutes and if they do it right there is a 90% chance we will have a clean sheet.  

Archived