Jump to content

Jayson Leutwiler


KidCanada
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since I've never seen Leutwiler play, I would rank our GKs as Borjan, Thomas, Leutwiler, Crepeau today. I think Crepeau was tremendous against the US and should be in the mix at least, but he's the #4 in my eyes.

Willing to see what Leutwiler brings to the table, perhaps he is closer to or higher to the depth chart than Thomas, but I would also argue that Thomas could make a case for the starting keeper role. Better depth than 12 months ago anyways, when David Monsalve was in the picture.

According to this article, the CSA contacted Leutwiler a year ago and the paperwork took that long to complete. At least we know that the CSA is aware of dual nationals and is reaching out to them. 

http://the11.ca/welcome-to-canada-jayson-leutwiler/

Edited by shermanator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it only took 14 months from "finding" him, to him getting a call-up! ;)

Thanks to @KidCanada for first posting about him. As stated last year, I seriously don't think the CSA would have known about him otherwise.

There is something poetic about getting a foreign born keeper for the #CanMNT for the friendly just after we played against a Canadian-born keeper cap-tied to Morocco.

Bienvenue à l'équipe nationale Jayson!

 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Well it only took 14 months from "finding" him, to him getting a call-up! ;)

Thanks to @KidCanada for first posting about him. As stated last year, I seriously don't think the CSA would have known about him otherwise.

There is something poetic about getting a foreign born keeper for the #CanMNT for the friendly just after we played against a Canadian-born keeper cap-tied to Morocco.

Bienvenue à la l'équipe nationale Jayson!

 

I'll second that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In an attempt to find out what those who see Leutwiler on a regular basis think of his abilities, I tracked down a Shrewsbury Town forum and started a thread asking for fee. From what I gather, his strengths are his shot stopping abilities. It sounds like his distribution is not a strong suit, and his willingness to compete on crosses has taken a major hit since his facial injury / concussion last year.

Sounds like he brings similar qualities to the squad as Borjan and Thomas.

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/93747/canadian-supporter-tell-me-leutwiler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, shermanator said:

In an attempt to find out what those who see Leutwiler on a regular basis think of his abilities, I tracked down a Shrewsbury Town forum and started a thread asking for fee. From what I gather, his strengths are his shot stopping abilities. It sounds like his distribution is not a strong suit, and his willingness to compete on crosses has taken a major hit since his facial injury / concussion last year.

Sounds like he brings similar qualities to the squad as Borjan and Thomas.

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/93747/canadian-supporter-tell-me-leutwiler

They've given up the most goals in league one this year and are at the bottom of the table so I'm not surprised that they are a bit sour on Leutwiler. Sounds like the back line is more of an issue than the keeper though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

They've given up the most goals in league one this year and are at the bottom of the table so I'm not surprised that they are a bit sour on Leutwiler. Sounds like the back line is more of an issue than the keeper though 

I figured that as well. Also, some are of the opinion that he was a better keeper before his facial injury / concussion that he has been since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, shamrock said:

That's how long the paperwork takes.

For all the slack Floro has received, he's done some good work for the program. 

Why is credit given to Floro? Maybe its rather the CSA that has finally straightened out thanks to Peter M and are able to convince those that have ties to Canada to join. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2016 at 7:26 AM, SirBobsaget said:

Why is credit given to Floro? Maybe its rather the CSA that has finally straightened out thanks to Peter M and are able to convince those that have ties to Canada to join. 

So you are saying they get in bed with Canada because the CSA is straight?

I think you are confusing sexual orientation with national team commitment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From these highlights it seems like he got beat 3 times but got lucky once, made 1 bad decision coming for a ball and made a nice double save.

It would be nice to see more of his play than just highlights to get a good idea of his play, but I am unlikely to catch a full Shrewsbury Town game any time soon. Wasn't it just a year or two ago that he had the most clean sheets in all of his league or multiple leagues?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Leutwiler's Shrewsbury win... maybe it depends on Port Vale not getting a win vs. Walsall

It depends on Port Vale @ Walsall on Tuesday. For Shrewsbury to be relegated now, Port Vale need to win that Tuesday game AND their next game next weekend AND Shrewsbury would have to lose their final game next weekend AND Gillingham would need to win their game next weekend AND Bury would need to win or draw their game next weekend.

All 5 outcomes would have to go wrong for the Shrews but it's still possible. Media call it "all but confirmed". http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2017/04/22/paul-hurst-hails-fantastic-shrewsbury-as-league-one-status-all-but-confirmed/

 

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just saying as I think it is really important for him to be in L1 and not L2 next year.

Indeed! The contract that he signed at the end of last season was for two years - we need him to be in League One England next season, not League Two.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...