Jayson Leutwiler

KidCanada

Assuming we beat Belize and have both WCQ and friendlies in 2015 and 2016 ie a number of key games coming up. I think we should be calling on the following keepers:

1.      Borjan  - but he might not be our #1 if he doesn’t start for his club – he needs to sort his club out soon

2.      Stama - for the first bit but not towards the end of WCQ. he won’t be called down the road if he doesn’t get back to starting and age is working against him

3.      Thomas – Starting and playing well; I would imagine he might go to a bigger club next year (based on nothing, just a hunch)

4.      Chencinski – No longer injured, has a chance to play in Europe next year if his team carries on the way they are

5.      Roberts – liked by Floro, needs to play at a higher club level though

6.      Leutwiler – If he gets called he jumps into the top 3 mix

7.      Crepeau – Getting starts in USL; needs MLS time

8.      Carducci – Needs more start in USL and then progression to MLS to even be in the picture; years away

9.      Monsalve- ??? Where is he?? He  never really got off the ground in Colombia – not in the picture

10.   Lars – Not in the picture

He actually got called up to a camp in the winter but turned it down because he was given the starting job to replace the injured keeper at his club. Unfortunately he didn't put on a good show and is now clubless.

Crepeau and Carducci are both absurdly promising, Crepeau is already making teams of the week and Carducci is 18 and doesn't look out of place at the USL level, sure they are years away but keeper is definitely not a position to worry about in the future

Crepeau and Carducci are both absurdly promising, Crepeau is already making teams of the week and Carducci is 18 and doesn't look out of place at the USL level, sure they are years away but keeper is definitely not a position to worry about in the future

They have potential, nothing more. There have been many promising youth keepers come up that never made it as pros so until these guys are starting keepers at a high level you should always worry about the future.

They are playing at the USL level which is quite decent to be honest, of course we can't know where things go from there, injuries happen amongst other things, but they are all quite promising

Again, yes they are promising and that is all. USL Pro keepers will not get us to the World Cup. Once one or more of the young keepers have lived up to their potential then we can "stop worrying". A few years ago we had a bumper crop of 91's - Adam Street, Keenan Gracey and Roberto Stillo - playing in European academies and yet 6 years later these guys are 24 and none have come close to locking down a starters job at a high level.

A keeper starting in League One who wants to play for the national team should be considered for the starting spot right away with our three experienced keepers not starting at club level. Though it is important to know your teammates well when you're a goalkeeper.

A keeper starting in League One who wants to play for the national team should be considered for the starting spot right away with our three experienced keepers not starting at club level. Though it is important to know your teammates well when you're a goalkeeper.

I agree and if there's any position where you need to be playing regularly to play well I think it's in net. And Leutwiler is playing every game, game in, game out.

I haven't followed Leutwiler but doing some reading today tells me we should call him up.  Sure, Shrewsbury isn't a big club, but he's their starting keeper and doing very well.  There is a threat of him being called up by Switzerland based on his eligibility and training there.  The Swiss #1 keeper is with Borussia Moenchengladbach but they could look at him as a backup or even #3.  Without ever seeing him, he would still likely be one of our top keepers and at an age where he'd be around straight through Russia.  At least bring him into camp, have a good look at him, and show him we're interested.

I haven't followed Leutwiler but doing some reading today tells me we should call him up.  Sure, Shrewsbury isn't a big club, but he's their starting keeper and doing very well.  There is a threat of him being called up by Switzerland based on his eligibility and training there.  The Swiss #1 keeper is with Borussia Moenchengladbach but they could look at him as a backup or even #3.  Without ever seeing him, he would still likely be one of our top keepers and at an age where he'd be around straight through Russia.  At least bring him into camp, have a good look at him, and show him we're interested.

The Swiss are not short on extremely talented keepers. I can't imagine they would call him up

Nevermind Russia. He would still be only 33 by the time Qatar WC roles around. 33 for goalkeepers isn't old at all.

He does have a history with the Swiss FA, having played at several youth levels. However, the Swiss are pretty deep in goal. Their depth is something like:

Sommer - Gladbach keeper who had an excellent season last year coming over form Basel and replacing Ter Stegen.

Bürki - New Dortmund signing who seems to have replaced Weidenfeller as the number 1. He was with Freiburg last year and was highly rated.

Hitz - Augsburg's keeper who keeps improving after having some injury issues

Mvogo - He's their U-21 keeper and highly rated. 

So for now, Leutwiler would have these 4 to contend with plus likely other keepers in the Swiss league and you could even throw a guy like Stefan Frei in there, who is playing at a higher level in MLS.

He does have a history with the Swiss FA, having played at several youth levels. However, the Swiss are pretty deep in goal. Their depth is something like:

Sommer - Gladbach keeper who had an excellent season last year coming over form Basel and replacing Ter Stegen.

Bürki - New Dortmund signing who seems to have replaced Weidenfeller as the number 1. He was with Freiburg last year and was highly rated.

Hitz - Augsburg's keeper who keeps improving after having some injury issues

Mvogo - He's their U-21 keeper and highly rated. 

So for now, Leutwiler would have these 4 to contend with plus likely other keepers in the Swiss league and you could even throw a guy like Stefan Frei in there, who is playing at a higher level in MLS.

I don't think Benaglio has retired either.

The Shrewsbury Town forum has a thread "Leutwiler is Canadian" in which this comment appeared: "If thats the case I hope that the Canadian national team have changed their manager...we don't want another Terry Dunfield situation !"

and from Wikipedia:

Dunfield signed for Shrewsbury Town in January 2009 for £65,000. His first season was considered stop-start, and he struggled to fit into his new team's style of play. However, his form improved the following season, and as a result he was handed his first full international cap by Canada.

After earning his cap, Dunfield was advised by Canadian manager Stephen Hart that he needed to be playing at a higher level than League Two if he had any aspirations of furthering his international career. As a result, a month after gaining his cap he was allowed to leave by new Shrewsbury manager Graham Turner. Turner said that he was "far from happy with the player basically implying that this club and English League Two football was not good enough for him."[4]

I still don't see how that caused offense to this day?  Shrewsbury was offended that one of their players had international aspirations?  Of course League Two isn't an ideal level for a 27 year old trying to play international footy.  

Well, considering, 3rd division Germany, Spain and NA appear to be just fine for being called to the national team, is 4th division England really that much worse? I don't know the quality of those leagues outside of USL.

It's not that much worse but you need to put it in the context of 2010.  The midfielders Dunfield was competing with were all at higher levels.. a central midfielder playing League Two still wouldn't be called IMO.