Jayson Leutwiler

KidCanada

Well based on this Tweet he's interested. I think he could be a good choice for third GK or backup GK when Stama is done. Plays at a better level than Thomas and Roberts and starts consistently. Still think Borjan has the #1 on lockdown.

Can confirm Shrewsbury Town starting keeper Jayson Leutwiler has a Canadian passport and would consider playing for #CanMNT if contacted.

Edited by shermanator

Well based on this Tweet he's interested. I think he could be a good choice for third GK or backup GK when Stama is done. Plays at a better level than Thomas and Roberts and starts consistently. Still think Borjan has the #1 on lockdown.

Mitchell Tierney@mitchelltierney 8m8 minutes ago

Can confirm Shrewsbury Town starting keeper Jayson Leutwiler has a Canadian passport and would consider playing for #CanMNT if contacted.

Holy shit. I think this guy would step into the number 1 job. He's playing at a good level but more importantly he's playing a lot. And didn't he have like 22 clean sheets last season?

Story confirming he holds a canadian passport and would be open to representing canada.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2015/8/15/9159121/shrewsbury-keeper-jayson-leutwiler-would-consider-playing-for-canada-passport

Waking the Red has received confirmation from Shrewsbury Town that Leutwiler does in fact have a Canadian passport, on top of the Swiss passport that was already well known.

Leutwiler has yet to be approached by the Canadian Soccer Association, but Waking The Red has learned he would consider joining the team should they give him the option.

He would be a very nice #3 option for us and perfect timing with Lars pretty well done unfortunately.  

He plays third division ball in England I don't think that puts him above Borjan or Stama just yet.  Especially since both of those keepers have played well for us lately, honestly despite not having a deep pool it's not like we can complain about those two they've done fine.  

Edited by Keegan

People questioning the level he plays at probably have never been to a live match at that level. The standard is very good. His club also had a great season last year. I think it's a no brainer and he would be in consideration for the number 1 spot based on his records with the Shrews.

Third division soccer isn't going to get Canada where it needs to be.

Third division soccer isn't going to get Canada where it needs to be.

for now he is a definite upgrade to our 3rd keeper. at least on par with kenny but 10 years younger. he only recently started to breakthrough last year. 26 is still young by keeper standards. hes even 2 years younger than milan. If he keeps up his development I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in the championship. at which point he would be challenging borjan for number 1

no way we can ignore a keeper like this with so much upside

That's the problem, you see it only as 'Third Division' and not the high quality of standard it is. Have you ever been to a League 1 match?

Whether third division is high quality or not is not the issue. Our CONCACAF rivals are exporting more players to big first division leagues, which are a level above from League 1. That being said, Leutwiler may be a good addition to the pool, maybe more than just depht.

for now he is a definite upgrade to our 3rd keeper. at least on par with kenny but 10 years younger. he only recently started to breakthrough last year. 26 is still young by keeper standards. hes even 2 years younger than milan. If he keeps up his development I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in the championship. at which point he would be challenging borjan for number 1

no way we can ignore a keeper like this with so much upside

Of course not. Still has huge potential and if Borjan doesn't play, he could be challenging him for the starting spot right off the bat. 

Shall we get out the "where would MLS slot in the English football pyramid" discussion again? lol

Best I could remember the 'answer' was mid to low level Championship sides/good League 1 sides.

I think Leutwiler plays at a nice level. Plus he is still relatively young for a keeper. This could be a very important find.

Personally I don't want to see Kenny and Lars anymore. I appreciate all their service for the national team, but now its time to use some of our younger prospects. 

But to use a tottenham saying "To Do is To Dare"

I agree if we have a better younger player that is comparable then play him, but if we do not we still need to have the best keeper available or we could ruin any team spirit we have due to poor loses.

Personally I don't want to see Kenny and Lars anymore. I appreciate all their service for the national team, but now its time to use some of our younger prospects.

But to use a tottenham saying "To Do is To Dare"

I agree its time to phase them out. Though right away i wouldnt drop both of them.

Drop one of the 2. And im thinking it is lars as he is getting the least playing time. call up milan and kenny and a third younger keeper. Hopefully leutwiler. In the future kenny will also be replaced.

Assuming we beat Belize and have both WCQ and friendlies in 2015 and 2016 ie a number of key games coming up. I think we should be calling on the following keepers:

1.      Borjan  - but he might not be our #1 if he doesn’t start for his club – he needs to sort his club out soon

2.      Stama - for the first bit but not towards the end of WCQ. he won’t be called down the road if he doesn’t get back to starting and age is working against him

3.      Thomas – Starting and playing well; I would imagine he might go to a bigger club next year (based on nothing, just a hunch)

4.      Chencinski – No longer injured, has a chance to play in Europe next year if his team carries on the way they are

5.      Roberts – liked by Floro, needs to play at a higher club level though

6.      Leutwiler – If he gets called he jumps into the top 3 mix

7.      Crepeau – Getting starts in USL; needs MLS time

8.      Carducci – Needs more start in USL and then progression to MLS to even be in the picture; years away

9.      Monsalve- ??? Where is he?? He  never really got off the ground in Colombia – not in the picture

10.   Lars – Not in the picture