Unattached FC

nolando

(A new and more appropriate name for the old MIA thread)

** A thread for guys out of contract (as of July 2015) or plain old "missing in action." If we can keep track of them here in one place maybe we can help locate the odd lost soul.

** This is mostly for guys who have had caps with the U20, U23 and senior teams (or a call-up to a MNT camp), or youth players of considerable promise.

Player - Last Club or Known Whereabouts - Date

Terry Dunfield - Ross County (Scotland - 1) June 2015

David Monsalve - America de Cali (Colombia -2) June 2015

Roberto Stillo - Trial with Nottingham Forest (England -2) July 2015

Edited by nolando

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw on twitter Hainault possibly on trial at Orebro

Is this a step up from MLS? I ask this because he had a pretty good role in Houston. Do players in this league get paid more than what he might be getting paid in MLS? I assume he would be at about $150,000 to $200,000 in MLS.

Yeah I don't get this either. I would think MTL would be interested to have another CB who's able to slot next to Ciman, but they just delt Jack Mac to the crew so roster spots are already tight. So yeah, maybe there is no interest on this side of the pond for him.

Lets not forget that Hainault actually lost his starting spot before leaving Houston and has been playing mostly as a sub/sometimes starter on lower table teams in leagues not better than MLS. And the level of MLS has risen quite a bit since he was last here in particular the forwards are much faster and more skilled than before and he is a slow defender with average ball skills. I always liked Hainault and it would be great to have not only another Canadian but a hometown boy on the Impact. However, I am also realistic and if I honestly assess his skill level, I don't think he is a starter on the Impact right now at either CB or RB and I don't think it would be much different at other teams either.

Lets not forget that Hainault actually lost his starting spot before leaving Houston and has been playing mostly as a sub/sometimes starter on lower table teams in leagues not better than MLS. And the level of MLS has risen quite a bit since he was last here in particular the forwards are much faster and more skilled than before and he is a slow defender with average ball skills. I always liked Hainault and it would be great to have not only another Canadian but a hometown boy on the Impact. However, I am also realistic and if I honestly assess his skill level, I don't think he is a starter on the Impact right now at either CB or RB and I don't think it would be much different at other teams either.

I was unaware he was not starting regularly in Houston at the end of his stay there. I just assumed he went to Europe to live the good 'ole Canadian soccer dream of sitting on a European bench (and getting paid more).

Hainault is still a starter on the majority of MLS teams IMO, you could look at the starting XI of any MLS team last weekend and find a spot for him on most backlines.  It's inconvenient for any team to take him though, you need to get his rights off Houston and pay him $200k AND if you're an American team use an international slot on him.  As he hasn't played much in the last year no team would take that risk, rather get they can get any international defender  without having to give up anything (likely with a higher pedigree too).  

If Hainault was American he would have no trouble finding an MLS team and making $200k+.  I always thought he was one of the better defenders in the league, certainly much better than guys like Zavaleta or Hagglund.   For as much as the league has improved in attack the defenders haven't evolved at the same pace, the league isn't close to surpassing a guy like Hainault.  

It's inconvenient for any team to take him though, you need to get his rights off Houston and pay him $200k AND if you're an American team use an international slot on him.

Yes, while he would be a free agent in China or Russia, he wouldn't be in the US (not in MLS that is). 

And yes I do think the pay would be better in the Allsvenskan. 

Hainault is still a starter on the majority of MLS teams IMO, you could look at the starting XI of any MLS team last weekend and find a spot for him on most backlines.

The fact that he lost his starter position in an arguably weaker MLS a few years ago disputes this.

The fact that he lost his starter position in an arguably weaker MLS a few years ago disputes this.

He played in 25 of 34 games in 2012 (also 3 playoff games and 3 CCL games).  He may have lost his spot for a little bit but Houston during that time had one of the strongest defences in the league.  Of the 9 games Hainault didn't play in 2012, two were because of national team duty.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/andre-hainault/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/39335/saison/2011/wettbewerb/MLS1/verein/9168

Have MLS defenders improved?  Seeing a record number of goals scored this past weekend I think most would say that defenders aren't improving in this league while teams add flashy offensive stars (except for a few exceptions like Ciman).  

Hainault was one of the higher paid defenders in the league during his time in Houston and highly rated, I didn't get to see him in Germany much but I'm confident he could make most MLS backlines as long as the $ are right for both sides.

Edited by Keegan

Seems like leaving MLS for europe was a mistake. Could have been playing at least 75% of the time and getting paid 250k in mls while playing a shorter season.

May be time for him to come back to MLS for say 150k and re establish himself.

Funny though isn't it?  A failed American overseas comes back to a big deal (Shea, Findley, Johnson, Rogers, Parkhurst, Adu), meanwhile a Canadian has a bad season and it's time to retire.  

I think we need to flip the script a bit.  Hainault was without a doubt an above average defender in MLS, now he didn't cement himself as a key player in Germany but let's be honest, your average B2 backline is stronger than your average MLS backline despite what MLS propaganda spins.  Teams like Philadelphia, Orlando, NYCFC and Toronto are far from impressive defensively.  This isn't a league that prioritizes or excels at defending.  In fact it's the one thing many foreign players criticize the league for when they return home.

Unless injuries have seriously derailed his career he is without a doubt good enough for any MLS game day 18.

Edited by Keegan

I'd quibble at the above-average but I agree he has a place in this league. Attakora, a much worse player, came back from Europe and was able to find a spot in MLS so Hainault should be able to as well. However, he's always been quite adamant about trying to play in Europe so I wonder if he is even looking.

My opinion lies somewhere between Keegan and Grizzly. While I think Grizz is pretty spot on and gives a rational and realistic perspective, I do think someone in MLS would find him useful as a starter (but that's an extremely small number of teams - and Montreal is one of many where he wouldn't walk into the starting eleven).

The problem for him is that the league has improved more than the salaries have. He was already in the $150,00 - 200,000 range when he left and he'd likely be looking for more than that for a return, which he is not going to get. He'd be likely had for $100,000 to $150,000 (best case).

Also, a large portion of his time in Houston was spent at RB, particularly in his last days. He was ousted by Sarkodie who is a natural wing back which has been a trend in the league - real wingbacks and full backs are pushing out converted CB's. He couldn't get away with winning a starting RB spot in the league today if you ask me.

Nottingham Forest have announced the player jersey numbers, for tonight's season opener. Unfortunately, Robert Stillo is not one of the three keepers listed (#1 deVries, #38 Osborn and #26 Evtimov). I have no idea if he is still at the club (in some capacity) but assume that he's probably moved on.

http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/squad-numbers-announced-2598252.aspx

Edited by David C.