Drogba - Montreal

Keano

http://www.tsn.ca/what-s-next-drogba-in-an-impact-jersey-1.333051

Butler is saying that IMFC are in advanced talks with Drogba and that Montreal is his prefered destination should he come to the MLS.

The catch is that Chicago have "discovery rights" on him or whatever the stupid thing is called, and according to l'equipe.fr they have offered him a contract. So I imagine if he landed with Montreal it would be as a trade with Chicago. Or something.

I think it's fairly obvious that regardless of his 37 years Drogba would be a huge short term addition for a club with goal scoring problems, lack of depth at F and a lack of buzz effecting the amount of bums in seats.

Pretty crazy that this kind of thing still goes on in MLS- how can a player like Drogba have his MLS rights controlled by Chicago.  What did they give Drogba to get his rights?

Anyways back on the topic- I think Drogba, while he is aging and slowing down quite a bit now would be a good gate draw for Montreal and he can still probably have 1 or 2 decently productive years in MLS.  I don't think he's going to tear MLS up like some other recent DP's have done but he's going to be pretty good here and in Montreal especially he'll sell a lot of tickets.

Apparently MLS has once again changed the rules (although in this case the new rule is more sensible) and the most Chicago can demand for the rights is $50 000 and no players are allowed to be traded for Discovery rights. The whole discovery thing is ridiculous to begin with but at least teams can't use it anymore to blackmail teams who want to sign players that the team that "discovered" him had nothing to do with other than filing the claim.

I have mixed feelings about us possibly signing Drogba. Already 37 and coming off a poor season albeit in the Premiership. This would probably be a marketing signing more than a football decision. We are a bit thin at striker right now but Cooper will hopefully be back at some point this season and Porter will return next year hopefully at the same level he was playing before his injury. We definitely could use another striker now but what we really need is a central attacking midfielder so Piatti can move to his proper position at wing and an upgrade at defensive mid with our numerous aging DMids who are underperforming.

Below is an article saying the Drogba prefers to play in Montreal and explaining the rule change:

http://www.hottimeinoldtown.com/2015/7/19/9000123/report-drogba-wants-montreal-will-not-play-for-chicago

The "Beast" in Montreal? Okay he is 37 but I think he could still play at the MLS level and he would sell a hell of a lot of tickets and merchandise! He got 4 goals in 852 minutes last year when subbing in for 20 of his 28 appearances. He may only get an hour a game but could make the difference in that hour.

I think this would be a terrible move by Montreal. Why overpay for a player that might have one good season in him? The impact roster is generally terrible, but their current DPs are great, and at the proper age.

I don't think that signing Drogba is a footballing decision. The Impact wants a big name that sells. Would Drogba help the Impact to bring more season tickets for next year and sell more seats? I think so. And the Impact has one DP right now according to MLS. I would prefer signing  a true #10 because Piatti's better on the left wing. I don't even know if it's just the Impact trying to pressure Chicago or to ease off the pressure from the media with what happen between the Impact, Ciman and Soumare last week. If the Impact was selling out at Saputo regularly, I'm not even sure that we're talking about Drogba.

He would be a great signing from a footballing and marketing perspective, I hope MTL can pull it off.  If he is able to stay healthy he will be a top player in the league.

And if he is hurt, or useless next season? Is still good business? Marco Di Vaio. Great player, wonderful first season, but age caught up with him.

TSN is reporting that Drogba has signed an 18 month contract with Montreal now.  Big move for Montreal.  MLS is really snapping up all the aging stars from Europe this year.

I do think it's a great move on and off the field for them.  He's a big name who speaks French.  He's going to sell a bunch of tickets and score a bunch of goals.

Archived