Sportsnet Hates the National Team

ted

I have freaking had it with Sportsnet*. They clearly have a hate on for the MNT. Their recent actions cannot be explained any other way.

1. Dumping the national team broadcasts before the end of the current deal leaving us scrambling to watch WC qualifiers via crappy internet feeds.
  2. Showing the Gold Cup games via a Fox networks feed even when they game is @ Exhibition Stadium.
  3. Immediately after Canada is eliminated due to not scoring any goals they broadcast an EPL highlight show that features a compilation of "best" goals.
  4. Headline from the day after: "Canada bows out of Gold Cup in scoreless disgrace". Disappointing, devastating even but it is not a disgrace to lose close games to teams so far above us in the rankings.

Trolling level: Sportsnet

* I would add a winky but I am only partially joking.

Well I agree that the word "disgrace" is incredibly harsh. "Embarassing" would have been fine, "disappointing" would have been fine but an overall performance giving up 1 goal in 3 games or a performance last night of being unlucky not to beat a team that was in the top 8 of the World Cup last year should be considered disgraceful.

After listening to Nigel Reed, Mr. Living cliche, drone on during the Panam games broadcast while using every stereotype in the books regarding Brazil, I welcomed last night's broadcast crew.

I hate that national media outlets, large and small, have resorted to click-bait, tabloid style headlines.

I have said over the years that Sportsnet coverage of the national team's including the women was second rate. But I was told to pipe down and be thankful for their coverage. Even Dobson came on the old board to say we're doing the best for Canada.

Now with Rogers paying through the nose for the NHL, they're dumping all their properties that they never truly cared about. I hope TSN does take it over and elevate the coverage as they have done for the CFL, curling and now starting off with Canada basketball.

In terms of Fox coverage, being non-Canadian meant they gave us the unvarnished truth that Canadian analysts tip toe around. They also know the CONCACAF region way more than any Canadian on tv which enables them to provide level 2 talking points. They're also on location for many of the matches including Champions League. While Dobson has a hard time telling black players apart, constantly drones on about player injuries and repeats the same 3-5 soundbites all through the match.  

P.S. Now in watching the replay, Fox/Gold Cup productions also do audio much better. The Voyageurs came in crystal clear.

In terms of Fox coverage, being non-Canadian meant they gave us the unvarnished truth that Canadian analysts tip toe around. They also know the CONCACAF region way more than any Canadian on tv which enables them to provide level 2 talking points. They're also on location for many of the matches including Champions League. While Dobson has a hard time telling black players apart, constantly drones on about player injuries and repeats the same 3-5 soundbites all through the match.  

In fairness to Dobber, nowadays he screws up everyone's name.  But I agree with everything else.

I think the Fox commentators were way above what we would have had with Dobson and Forrest or god forbid Nigel Reed, I also find like someone mentioned earlier the knowledge of the Concacaf region by our own Canadian soccer broadcasters is very poor, I find American soccer broadcasters have way more knowledge of the region so I was happy to see Fox do the coverage.

I have freaking had it with Sportsnet*. They clearly have a hate on for the MNT. Their recent actions cannot be explained any other way.

1. Dumping the national team broadcasts before the end of the current deal leaving us scrambling to watch WC qualifiers via crappy internet feeds.
  2. Showing the Gold Cup games via a Fox networks feed even when they game is @ Exhibition Stadium.
  3. Immediately after Canada is eliminated due to not scoring any goals they broadcast an EPL highlight show that features a compilation of "best" goals.
  4. Headline from the day after: "Canada bows out of Gold Cup in scoreless disgrace". Disappointing, devastating even but it is not a disgrace to lose close games to teams so far above us in the rankings.

Trolling level: Sportsnet

* I would add a winky but I am only partially joking.

You aren't the first to notice the Rogers bias in their reporting, which pretty much amounts to "Unless it's a property we have in house, slag it." Just read some of Sportsnet's articles on the CFL or McCown's comments on the CFL or the Argos, or most MLS games (of which Bell owns the majority of the broadcast rights to). Yet somehow the Jays are the rosiest, greatest, most uncontroversial team, to not make the playoffs since the 90s.

I have said over the years that Sportsnet coverage of the national team's including the women was second rate. But I was told to pipe down and be thankful for their coverage. Even Dobson came on the old board to say we're doing the best for Canada.

Now with Rogers paying through the nose for the NHL, they're dumping all their properties that they never truly cared about. I hope TSN does take it over and elevate the coverage as they have done for the CFL, curling and now starting off with Canada basketball.

Wait, we're trashing Dobson and Reed, but want to push TSN after some of the crap on-air personalities they have used?  Vic Rauter has to be the most annoying commentator yet ... I've never figured out what his bizarre accent is either ... something American ... but perhaps it's put on ... sometimes he seems to be trying to sound like Howard Cosell - who also grates on me.

Wait, we're trashing Dobson and Reed, but want to push TSN after some of the crap on-air personalities they have used?  Vic Rauter has to be the most annoying commentator yet ... I've never figured out what his bizarre accent is either ... something American ... but perhaps it's put on ... sometimes he seems to be trying to sound like Howard Cosell - who also grates on me.

Vic Rauter is a Canadian soccer legend. What a beauty

Vic Rauter is a Canadian soccer legend.

So he believes. :)

So are Reed and Dobson.  But for some reason Rauter seems to get a free pass, despite being far worse than the other two (I've always been fine with both of them - I'd sooner have either of them than Fox.  And I really can't see Fox coming out to cover our World Cup Qualifiers and home friendlies.

I'm going to have to disagree with those praising the FOX Sports 1 commentary last night. I thought they were absolutely terrible. Couldn't go a minute without mentioning the Gold Cup scoreless streak, couldn't pronounce players names right, kept talking aimlessly throughout the game rather than interjecting when it was necessary to describe the play. I agree with red card in that the sound quality was far superior to what we had on Sportsnet though.

Also, Vic Rauter is a PBP legend, you must not sully the great Rauter name.

It has been all down hill since Graham "bulge in the old onion bag" Leggat retired.

Pick that one out.

Neither here nor there with the Fox commentry although last night's crew was solid, seemed very knowledgable of CONCACRAP that's for sure but they had their weak points same as Craig and Dobson.

Will give Fox this though, there in-game production was outstanding.  Far superior to anything the domestic broadcasters have given us.

Ratings are there for Canada women and men's matches to make it worthwhile for TSN today and lots of runway room for future growth if they invest in it.

Pan Am games Canada vs Ecuador women got 294k on sportsnet. Men's Brazil match got 290k. Gold Cup match with Jamaica got 221k. All beat TFC vs NYFC with 138k and Vancouver KC match which got below 108k. And it beat Wimbledon's women's final, UFC, NASCAR and Indycar. It didn't beat other Pan Am coverage, CFL, Jays and some Stampede shows over the past weekend.

Now these type of matches won't necessarily fall under TSN rights package but it will help longer term ratings for friendlies and WCQs.

First of all Sportsnet is a business. They owe us nothing. It's completely on each person if they want to believe that they care about soccer. They made a decision to go to hockey as it provides more revenue and though personally it's not convenient for me, it's the route they want. They goal now should be on the CSA to get a contract that dictates they get rights for the next # of years where everygame must be broadcast.

As for play x play. I've done it and it isn't easy. I like to think I got pretty good at it after spending 4 years of friday nights doing CSL games with incorrect numbers, no information and "other issues" but no doubt there were some people who thought I was terrible. I did a TFC exhibition game a few years back and made the mistake of looking at message boards. Then I realize that Joe Buck, Pat Summeral, Gus Johnson, Vin Scully and Bob Cole all have people saying they shouldn't be on TV and still do to this day. It astounds me.

Winning cures all. We will get better coverage, we will get better TV deals and we will get "better" commentators. If you wanna be mad at sportsnet, I understand that way of thinking, I don't agree with it but I understand. If you wanna be mad at the people that call the games, I think given the teams disappointing finishes as of late, we can find another place to direct out message board anger.

I'm not even sure what PBP stands for .... Play by post?

I assumed play-by-play -- which I've never understood for television when we can see what's happening without someone also telling us, particularly in recent years with HD and constant on-screen graphics. People routinely watch games in bars on TVs with no sound and don't seem to have trouble understanding what's happening. I'd settle for one person talking very sparingly only when something needed to be explained, and letting us hear the ambient sound from inside the stadium the rest of the time.

... trying to sound like Howard Cosell - who also grates on me.

Did you intend that to be present tense? You know he's been dead for 20 years, right? (and had stopped announcing games another ten years before that when ABC fired him)

Did you intend that to be present tense? You know he's been dead for 20 years, right? (and had stopped announcing games another ten years before that when ABC fired him)

Yes, my verb tense was carefully selected.  Thanks for checking though!  His death hasn't changed the cringe factor when watching something from the 1970s.

You aren't the first to notice the Rogers bias in their reporting, which pretty much amounts to "Unless it's a property we have in house, slag it." Just read some of Sportsnet's articles on the CFL or McCown's comments on the CFL or the Argos, or most MLS games (of which Bell owns the majority of the broadcast rights to). Yet somehow the Jays are the rosiest, greatest, most uncontroversial team, to not make the playoffs since the 90s.

i find that they both donthat.   Just look at the way that Bell media pumps up the tires of the CFL.  and how they have misinformed the viewers on the history of BMO field and how it came about that the Argos ended up at skydome instead of sharing a stadium for soccer at the start.    I recall 2007 that when TO was awared an MLS franchise and when it was announced that Beckham was joining the league, some of their talking heads (one who has a history in covering soccer) were downgrading the league and the domestic north american game.    

This is clear:  Neither of the two are journalistic media.  they use their radio arms and news desk broadcasts as vehicles to adverstise and promote their programming properties by creating discussions around issues pertaing to the sports properties that they hold.  this is done to make the sports topical in the public's mind.    in some cases, like hockey,  you cant totally ignore because the numbers are so strong.  if they were truly media they would cover a wider range of topics

Archived