I might start a CANWNT merchandise shop - need advice!

Ever since the World Cup ended, I've been feeling the urge to keep the fire for CANWNT going.  I'm not looking to make too much money, but to support this team and to do something I enjoy (arts and crafts).

I want to make necklaces similar to this one (see attached).  Obviously, I'm going to "Canadianize" it, because this looks too American.  I'm going to change the colors of the uniform to match Canada's, and the colors of the beads will be red, white and bronze as a representation of their best Olympic achievement.  What do you think?  Is this something you see parents buying for their girls or even grown up women wearing?  (I'm 30 and I would wear this necklace, but I'm Asian and I like the "cute stuff".)

Your response will help me determine what the interest level would be.  If you want to write, "No, I think it's a terrible idea and I don't think anyone will buy one", I'll take it as that you're trying to prevent me from losing money!  I do want to emphasize that this is for CANWNT more than for myself.  They have inspired me in ways that I cannot even begin to explain, and this would be my way of giving back to these women.

post-91215-0-75274600-1436837255_thumb.j

post-91215-0-65678400-1436838171_thumb.j

Your idea reminded me what Peau du Loup did in terms of the Team Canada unity scarf. It's the first time that I have seen a supplier other than the official uniform supplier produce something for the Canadian national teams.

They are an existing firm and they got status as official Canada Soccer supplier. I have seen members of the women's team wear the scarves during the World Cup. You should probably contact them to see how successful they have been or maybe convince them to distribute your products.

http://www.peaudeloup.com/collections/canada-soccer-team-exclusive

Well, thank you red card, for giving me something to look into!  Your idea is interesting!  I will definitely contact them later. 

Can I just ask you (without knowing if you have a female daughter) if this is something you see little girls or older women wearing?  And I am guessing you are a man?  Sorry if I am wrong. 

Your idea reminded me what Peau du Loup did in terms of the Team Canada unity scarf. It's the first time that I have seen a supplier other than the official uniform supplier produce something for the Canadian national teams.

There must be something in that because that was the first thing that came into my mind as well.  I believe their theme is "tomboy" apparel and the idea was to have a male look that would fit the female form. 

An idea might be to create an accessory to go with what they are trying to market and i think they are open to suggestions.  They designed a suit as well as scarves.  I remember seeing the team wearing them on a video in an airport and I thought they looked quite smart.

Normally women wearing male clothes ie a necktie is a big turnoff for me (I don't mean sexually) but their suits as I said before were quite smart.

21aep1y.jpg

Well, thank you, Joe!  I like people who are honest.  By the way, the above is NOT my work, but it is what inspired me to make a Canadian necklace.  The above is obviously made by an American, and not intended to represent their soccer team.  I think the red, white and blue theme was just a coincidence.

I am not sure if my necklace (being "cuter" and more "girly") would match the Peau du Loup clothes.  I'm a woman with a personality like Sesselmann, if you know what I mean.  Can you picture Sesselmann doing anything with Peau du Loup?  LOL...  So I decided not to go that route, after strongly considering it.  I think I'm just going to sell to children or adults who like cute stuff.  I think that matches my personality more, dealing with people who are more like me.  Again, I'm not looking to make too much money.  I just want to continue the fire for CanWNT.  Maybe in the future I can think of some tomboy stuff but I honestly don't think I'm the best person to create that stuff.

After I posted I realized that obviously what you are looking at doesn't fit with the suits but I thought you might be interested in making another type of accessory.  But again I realized what you are really wanting to do and it's still good.  The best career advice I've had is find something you like to do and figure out how to make money at it.  Or be a part time pro, have a career and on the side try to turn a hobby into another career or just a hobby that you gives you some satisfaction.  Do what makes you happy and be happy.  I'll shut up now.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't ever shut up, Joe.  I love chatting with people here!  And yes, I do have a daytime job... so I am not too worried about income. 

Let us know what you want to do and how we can help.

How would you make them?

Awww... thanks for supporting our women, deadlynx!  They just love seeing us in red, I'm sure.

Socceronly, thanks for offering to help!  Can I post two links on here?  I've actually been working on my items for weeks now.  Here are two up for sale:

CANWNT soccer formation towel: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Women-039-s-Soccer-Team-World-Cup-2015-Towel-Formation-/252046428538?

Aforementioned necklace: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CANWNT-Inspired-Necklace-Red-White-and-Bronze-with-Uniform-and-Bracelet-/252046449301?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived