The Floro Bandwagon

madmonte

Still on. Keep for the rest of this cycle. I don't know if it's the Teal-Tesho effect or if Floro is a great recruiter, or some combo thereof, but we've got a lot of commitments and that bodes well. Getting rid of him now will achieve nothing positive and quite possibly be destructive depending on who they bring in.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

With all due respect, this was your only comment after the Honduras and El Salvador games. Now, after the Mexico pair, you're calling for Floro's head?

Come on.

Either he should have been fired back in November 2015 or he should be given until Canada's elimination (or at least until the end of this round).

Firing him after the Mexico matches is panicking. That's not the way to qualify for a World Cup.

Please go back and look through the threads after the draw in ES. I had harsh words for his tactics and lamented the dropped points. I also reminded everyone that Honduras would likely regain 3 of their top players who were missing back in November (as well as ES resolving their political squabble). Your representation of me as some johnny-come-lately on the anti-bandwagon is disingenuous.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to use this "heap of cash" to help improve the sport's infrastructure in this country?

Unless you're planning on spending $13M on a coach I don't see why you would frame it as an either/or proposition?

If spending money on a coach improves our chances of advancing then it's money well spent. The ROI could be in the 200-300% (assuming keeping Floro means elimination) range and gives us a shot at Panama, T&T and CR for the 3rd and 4th spots.

21 hours ago, jpg75 said:

By my estimates the CSA has a minimum (probably much higher) cash reserve of $13M as of today. That's $6M documented from their 2013 financial statement, a likely $2M net transfer payments from FIFA for 2014, another $2M for 2015 in lieu of WWC profit-sharing (in which case the profits would likely be much higher than any transfer funding), $1M for TV rights from the Mexican FA and another $2M in net gate receipts from the recent home game.

With that kind of money it's time to increase the Men's coaching budget so that people will line up to coach us.

We have significant expenses in having Victor Montagliani visiting CONCACAF Countries in his quest to be elected the head of CONCACAF.

Qualifying for Men's World Cup, let alone the Hex is of secondary import to CSA leadership, the organisation goal is political.

Personally watching our efforts vs Mexico, I think our tactics were not suitable to getting a result we played with a disinterested / lazy striker in an advanced position, our mids commitment to defend meaning we had no support of the ball in advanced positions, let alone in the Central third of the potch.

Did we ever launch counter attacks from a compact team shape? 

Did Laurin win one on two or one on three  balls ?

Does the CSA technical ctte ever review the coach plan before a game, the after and offer comment?

If they do not what is the rational?

How do you evaluate Floro game to game ?

^ To all of the above, no doubt.  Don't think it's entirely Floro not knowing how to use him, just think Floro is expecting Larin to give something into a system which will provide him with limited support, which his not.  You know, like running and aggressive play from time to time. 

The players aren't robot and shouldn't be.  The gaffer puts out his plan and the players work with it in their own way as the match evolves.

Or they don't.  And I'm not just picking on Larin here.  There's plenty of WTFs from this round to be shared.  That Floro isn't picking up on that, or isn't viewing it with the same seriousness that I am, is what scares ME the most.   

Floro's stubbornness/patience is managing himself into unemployment and us into another missed World Cup Finals.  Again.    

Floro was involved with 18 different teams before Canada, with an average coaching time of less than 2 years in each case.  Such unstable career does not speak well of him.  IMO he has lasted longer here not because of him doing a good job, but because the CSA does not want to admit their mistake and get rid of him.

Seems as though a lot of people have written Canada off of qualifying even for the hex. And we can't say that Canada not qualifying for the World Cup falls on Floro (heck, we've only been there once).

As many have said, Floro was seemingly brought in for the EXACT game coming up at Honduras. A result there would be a massive boost to putting us through to the hex for the first time in forever. A win there... 

If however we don't qualify for the hex, then I think Floro's tenure will most likely come to an end. I am not sure how well he can communicate with players when his english is so poor. Even his pressers are painstakingly slow. 

At the same time, don't forget that when Hart was let go we had no head coach for some time. It seems as though there is no line-up to coach the Canadian Men's National Team for some reason. So before we get rid of Floro we need to make sure there is a better candidate out there to replace him. 

18 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

If Floro gets us to the Hex with 2 goals scored, we all have to salute the master turtle, despite our frustrations.

0-0 against Honduras, 1-0 against ES with Back-to-back back-goals

Even better, if Mexico win both their remaining games, we could win with two 0-0s. Imagine going to the Hex with only ONE goal scored!

In response to a few comments here, I think that Floro is not benefitted from not having a strong technical team alongside of him. 

He has his son, who won't say boo, and Dolan, who is not a tactician. Kusch is a good tackler, give him that, Wrong sport.

Seriously, I would have preferred to have seen Benito with a serious 2nd with qualifications who is not afraid to speak his mind, he does not have one, and that is not good when you are in such a high pressure game. I say this as a general principle, the teams I have admired over the years have had such set-ups, and with exceptions (Mourinho, other very maverick types like Wenger), it is very important for results.

As for language: he had Rafael Carbajal, who someone mentioned was let go. I suppose he feels his son can do that job. Perhaps it is true. He also has a few players who can speak Spanish, esp Julian, who are going to be key in the dressing room. Even in Spanish, listening to him he makes sense if you stick with him, but sometimes he is so dry you have got to put lotion on your ears.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In response to a few comments here, I think that Floro is not benefitted from not having a strong technical team alongside of him. 

He has his son, who won't say boo, and Dolan, who is not a tactician. Kusch is a good tackler, give him that, Wrong sport.

Seriously, I would have preferred to have seen Benito with a serious 2nd with qualifications who is not afraid to speak his mind, he does not have one, and that is not good when you are in such a high pressure game. I say this as a general principle, the teams I have admired over the years have had such set-ups, and with exceptions (Mourinho, other very maverick types like Wenger), it is very important for results.

As for language: he had Rafael Carbajal, who someone mentioned was let go. I suppose he feels his son can do that job. Perhaps it is true. He also has a few players who can speak Spanish, esp Julian, who are going to be key in the dressing room. Even in Spanish, listening to him he makes sense if you stick with him, but sometimes he is so dry you have got to put lotion on your ears.

That's one of the main reasons why Canada never attracts top coaches, even if our ranking doesn't help.  I heard in the past a lot of high quality names wanted to coach Canada, but wanted to bring their own coaching staff and the CSA wants all coaches to use a CSA employee as team physician and team assistant coach.  No serious coach wants to work with people he's not used too.  Hope we can afford a really top notch coach after Floro leaves.

56 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

That's one of the main reasons why Canada never attracts top coaches, even if our ranking doesn't help.  I heard in the past a lot of high quality names wanted to coach Canada, but wanted to bring their own coaching staff and the CSA wants all coaches to use a CSA employee as team physician and team assistant coach.  No serious coach wants to work with people he's not used too.  Hope we can afford a really top notch coach after Floro leaves.

I think the logic was that you use their experience to train your guys. I think maybe Findlay is picking up experience, maybe Dolan too. Floro did the deal with his son, which was smart, Osieck also used the experience to set up his son but not in the same way. 

But usually great coaching has a second who is doing a very important job. Someone really knowledgeable, able to sit back and read the game when the coach is too involved, a softer to a harder character or vice versa, or an expert on some aspect. 

In all the great coaching we have had at Barça over the years, the second was always essential. Our dear Cruyff (whose death I'm still really affected by) had Reixach, a Catalan striker from his era, and Tonny Bruins Slot, an Ajax man (still is); Robson had Mourinho who he'd brought from Sporting Lisbon; Van Gaal had Van Hoek who is considered a goalkeeping master, one of the best; Rijkaard had Ten Cate who was harder knocks to Frank's easy manner; Guardiola had Tito Vilanova, a friend from youth who never was a successful pro, who took over from him until dying so tragically; now Luis Enrique has Unzue who is a set piece genius and allows us to play more chaotically, less tiki-taka.

I can name plenty of other key coaching teams: when Aguiar was at Benfica and not sure if they'd keep him, they signed Camacho, and I remember saying to Fernando he had to focus on irrascible Camacho's second, Pepe Carcelen, as they were intimate and Carcelén was very low key and ignored by most players. I knew this from Camacho's stints at Espanyol. Fernando stayed on and he actually thanked me for telling him that (yes, I am proud of making that comment to him).

The whole subject is actually really interesting, because it always involves someone who is fully trusted and speaks his mind and creates a dialogue. Floro has no real dialogue right now, and I think has not really been challenged in a natural way during his Canada stint by a wise second. Or maybe Carbajal did and Floro did not like it.

Archived