The Floro Bandwagon

madmonte

Just like I thought. Floro(s) is all talk and nothing more. I would rather have Pekerman, Jose Luis Pinto or even a German coach to take the reins of being technical director. They've worked with the kids programs and got great success besides the senior national teams. What has honestly Floro got us in 2 years since he's here. In 2 years, has he made our national team a force to reckoned with?? instilled confidence?? Seems he cares more about results and not getting blown out, which is understandable after Honduras, but can't be bunkerville for every game. Watch in a year from now, when Floro's plan goes nowhere and he gets booted, we'll have wasted 2-3 years.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jose Pekerman, the coach of Columbia? That's a good idea, I think we should add Mourinho and Guardiola while we're at it then.

I think Floro knows what he's doing and knows ability when he sees or doesn't see it. I haven't seen much of Teibert but I've seen plenty of Osario. I like him a lot although he's been pretty inconsistent for the past year...he's not going to make a big difference to this team though. It's a team game and it requires balance...if Floro plays another player, he's got his reasons and I trust they're pretty good ones.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2014/FloroWewillmakesemisatGoldCup.aspx

Perhaps buoyed by the best Canadian showing of his tenure in Friday’s 1-1 draw against Bulgaria here in Austria, Benito Floro offered a bold proclamation on Monday morning.

The Spanish coach overtly stated that his goal was to take Canada all the way to the semi-finals at the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

See also: A goal, and a step on the road to recovery

Floro stated that the “first stage” of his restructuring of the Canadian team will come to an end at the final whistle of tomorrow’s friendly against Moldova. Adding that from that point forwards the staff, and team will be “focused on the Gold Cup and to prepare the team to qualify for the semi-final and final.”

An ambitious goal, it has to be said. But for a man of Floro’s credentials in the football world, it comes as no surprise that he backs himself to succeed.

Definetly strike one.

At this point I just want him to get them scoring. But he should be on notice.

All this talk about the players.  Floro had been with them for months when he promised a Gold Cup semi appearance last year.  Has he suddenly now realized they're all sh*t?

Well, if there is one "positive" that came out from this Gold Cup is that it was scheduled before we got too far in WC qualifying. Now, Floro has a much better idea of where we really stand, in comparison with the other nations - although he still needs to see firsthand how we struggle in Central America. Hopefully, this serves as a wake-up call, that this isn't going to be as easy as he may have first thought (while making that Gold Cup prediction). Time to roll up our sleeves.

Personally, I think that if we had tactically put more offensive pressure against El Salvador (with two distributing O-mids instead of 2 holding D-mids) and if Jamaica didn't have the benefit of coming straight from playing three games already in the Copa - we may have come out of that group after all.

Jose Pekerman, the coach of Columbia? That's a good idea, I think we should add Mourinho and Guardiola while we're at it then.

I think Floro knows what he's doing and knows ability when he sees or doesn't see it. I haven't seen much of Teibert but I've seen plenty of Osario. I like him a lot although he's been pretty inconsistent for the past year...he's not going to make a big difference to this team though. It's a team game and it requires balance...if Floro plays another player, he's got his reasons and I trust they're pretty good ones.

Before he became coach, he was the Argentina youth coach for various years winning tons of world championships. actually he was an unknown in 2001 after Holgers dismissal and would've charged peanuts. Now of course he's a great coach, but Inmentioned him because he knows the youth setup

I think it is fine for Floro to set semis as a goal, otherwise what sort of message are you giving to the players? There is a reason I think he said this: the best four teams in Concacaf go directly or through a playoff to Russia 2018. Isn't that what his goal should be?

Right now, if you said the US, Mexico, Jamaica and Panama qualified for the WC, would that make sense? From what we saw only Costa Rica with a full side, with Navas in goal, would threaten that in a HEX. 

Apart from that, if we'd been knocked out in quarter finals, we'd have still be somewhat disappointed. As is, we are very disappointed. That is probably good going into the next WC qualifying rounds.

I think it is fine for Floro to set semis as a goal, otherwise what sort of message are you giving to the players? There is a reason I think he said this: the best four teams in Concacaf go directly or through a playoff to Russia 2018. Isn't that what his goal should be?

Right now, if you said the US, Mexico, Jamaica and Panama qualified for the WC, would that make sense? From what we saw only Costa Rica with a full side, with Navas in goal, would threaten that in a HEX. 

Apart from that, if we'd been knocked out in quarter finals, we'd have still be somewhat disappointed. As is, we are very disappointed. That is probably good going into the next WC qualifying rounds.

Also when Floro made that comment we hadn't won a game in nearly 2 years so he was obviously looking to give the squad some confidence.  

Well after this tournament he said our players lack the technical ability and we have to be "lucky" to score goals. Not exactly instill confidence in our players like last years bold semi final prediction.

Sure, he played one game against Dominica at leftback. Sure, he could have picked de Jong but he wasn't playing at the time for Sporting KC. He played at right back and he's gotten more experience than all our other left backs at irght back. (Can't recall any of those players at right back) If you want to chime on on Ouimette playing right back. Who would you have played one footed-players like de Jong & Morgan? If you said something like Hainault or Edward (!) should have played instead of Ouimette, I do think that it's fair criticism, and even there, it's not clear that those solutions are that much better than Ouimette.

I do think that the rest of the criticism is fair though.

I have no problem with Ouimette as a player, I'm actually a big supporter of him and think he's better than most people give him credit for. Last year he was rated the impact's best player on whoscored numerous times and I thought he deserved more from them than he got. I have no problem with him playing on the right side as we have no actual right backs that we call into camps, I'm talking about how Floro picks him to play on the left side over players who actually play there and are more gifted offensively. Ouimette does atleast try to get up into the attack when he can though and actually won a penalty for us against Iceland, but he just lacks the ball skills to be a real threat most of the time. 

I have no problem with Ouimette as a player, I'm actually a big supporter of him and think he's better than most people give him credit for. Last year he was rated the impact's best player on whoscored numerous times and I thought he deserved more from them than he got. I have no problem with him playing on the right side as we have no actual right backs that we call into camps, I'm talking about how Floro picks him to play on the left side over players who actually play there and are more gifted offensively. Ouimette does atleast try to get up into the attack when he can though and actually won a penalty for us against Iceland, but he just lacks the ball skills to be a real threat most of the time. 

Sure, but ow often  has he happened. He played Ouimette before Morgan re-became a starter for TFC and de Jong was injured/ coming back to injuries. And the only time that it has happened since was in one game against Dominica. Floro said that he wanted to use every outfield player and he did play them all except for Will Johnson. We didn't know how de Jong's going and he's behind Dia right now at left back.

When Mexico make mistakes their press always jump on the manager.  That's obviously not the 100% right approach, but some of us are going the complete other way which is just as fallacious, choosing to completely blame the players instead.

Floro was a random appointment and it hasn't paid off.  His son being U-23 coach is borderline scandalous and harkens back to the nepotistic old boys club approach that we were supposed to have abandoned with a foreign appointment.

Literally everyone else in CONCACAF that recently changed coaches has made a better appointment.  El Salvador, Costa Rica, even for Honduras it at least made sense at the time to get CR's World Cup coach.  Floro was a complete flyer at the time and it has been revealed as a mistake.

he has a contract through 2018, no idea why they would extend that this far ahead of time

The CSA is really hoping he wins 3rd round wcq then. Otherwise theyd probably have to release and pay him 2 and a half years before his contract is up. At least if he makes the 4th round thats another year of him actually coaching out his contract.

The CSA is really hoping he wins 3rd round wcq then. Otherwise theyd probably have to release and pay him 2 and a half years before his contract is up. At least if he makes the 4th round thats another year of him actually coaching out his contract.

The CSA could have an early termination deal that's not worth that much if Canada fails to go deep in WCQ.

The CSA could have an early termination deal that's not worth that much if Canada fails to go deep in WCQ.

You seriously believe Floro would sign such a deal? No way, CSA were falling over themselves to get this guy and were happy he was even considering us.

• 3 months later...

So, I'm going to bump this thread because I'm curious about how all of your views have evolved. Lots has changed but much remains the same. Since the last post in this thread we've played 5 games:
Belizex2
Ghana
Honduras
El Salvador

I think I still stand by what I said in July:

I'm really angry at the player selection but I'm still on the Floro bandwagon. Our creativity is higher in midfield than I think it would be under Hart (considering the fact that we lost a whole bunch of the of the 2014 campaign veterans.)

What's the bandwagon status for you guys? I'm still on it but obviously still upset with some of Floro's choices and tactics.

Every coach has his blindside and I believe Benito Floro's is Ricketts. Over a dozen giveaways and he is not in sync with his teammates, he seems to be always too behind their pass. 

I fail to see how Osorio or even Teibert are worse options on the right. For a coach that is so dedicated to possession and discipline, Ricketts only seems to offer hustle and heart. 

I appreciate a player willing to come to play but, it seems he is the only big question mark for me. 

I'm still on the bandwagon. While an opportunity was lost today, Floro has us on an upside swing.  

Every coach has his blindside and I believe Benito Floro's is Ricketts. Over a dozen giveaways and he is not in sync with his teammates, he seems to be always too behind their pass. 

I fail to see how Osorio or even Teibert are worse options on the right. For a coach that is so dedicated to possession and discipline, Ricketts only seems to offer hustle and heart. 

I appreciate a player willing to come to play but, it seems he is the only big question mark for me. 

I'm still on the bandwagon. While an opportunity was lost today, Floro has us on an upside swing.  

I agree, I don't think Ricketts has earned "every game starter" status and it's time to either let Tesho start in a meaningful game or bring Jono.

I agree, I don't think Ricketts has earned "every game starter" status and it's time to either let Tesho start in a meaningful game or bring Jono.

The problem is Tesho does not come on for Ricketts as he plays leftmid. However, Osorio was a revelation on the right for TFC and Teibert early on played rightside. Only other option is Larin on the right and Haber up top. Or Lucas Cav on the right

The problem is Tesho does not come on for Ricketts as he plays leftmid. However, Osorio was a revelation on the right for TFC and Teibert early on played rightside. Only other option is Larin on the right and Haber up top. Or Lucas Cav on the right

Osorio plays on the left for TFC and Teibert has been a preferred option for Floro on the right but he was hurt

Osorio plays on the left for TFC and Teibert has been a preferred option for Floro on the right but he was hurt

He also played on the left when Ashtone Morgan was playing there ... but he was moved to the right .... truthfully he's played everywhere

He also played on the left when Ashtone Morgan was playing there ... but he was moved to the right .... truthfully he's played everywhere

what? he played like 15-20 games at LM, a few at CM and a few as a second striker. I honestly can't recall him playing on the right all year

Archived