[R] - Canada vs El Salvador

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackson couldnt even see the field in league 1 this year.

Not for anything, ricketts plays in Israel, you really gonna use Jackson not starting in league 1 as a substantial argument?

Also, let's not over worry about who plays where, if you didn't notice, we tied against a team that has players that play in NASL and the el salvadorian league. Technically on paper we are much better than them and that wasn't the case (funny how NASL is too low of a league for us to chose from...)

I'll add my voice to those saying Dominica was NOT A REAL TEST of the kind of teams we need to win against. El Salvador was. Tonight was real CONCACAF.

Of course Dominica wasn't a test, it's barely a professional team, every player on that squad has to have another real job. No hex team probably knows dominica even exist in concacaf. Results against those teams are irrelevant. 

So since tesho was cap tied, that would mean it was floros first real test?! What?!

But you didn't say "first real test", you said "real first official game" (as opposed to fake first official game?) so king1010 was right to correct you. 

The number of times that Bekker got the ball and then slowly turned as two defenders easily closed on him was infuriating.  If he plays against a team with legitimate quickness like Jamaica I give up

Hopefully JDG is healthy so we can rotate the squad a bit on Saturday.  Morgan in for de Jong, JDG/Teibert/Osorio for our midfield and...someone for Ricketts/Ledgerwood

Edited by theaub

Not for anything, ricketts plays in Israel, you really gonna use Jackson not starting in league 1 as a substantial argument?

Also, let's not over worry about who plays where, if you didn't notice, we tied against a team that has players that play in NASL and the el salvadorian league. Technically on paper we are much better than them and that wasn't the case (funny how NASL is too low of a league for us to chose from...)

Yes? Playing anywhere is better than not playing at all in league 1. Have u been hear long enough to see jacksons underwhelming performances for canada or club level the last 4 years

And you just completely contradicted yourself.

1. Rickketts plays in israel

2. Lets not worry about what league players play in bc the other team was all nasl

The difference between el salavador and jackson is they are actully playing at some level. Players need to be playing at club level. Whatever that level

Edited by king1010

I'm surprised at how harsh the criticism is of Floro.  I was infuriated throughout the match with the way we were playing, but with 6 games in three days, it makes sense not to use your players to the point of exhaustion.  Although we were outplayed, we should have won that game.  If Larin taps that breakaway in, we win.  

We got the point, and we're officially still alive fighting for anywhere from 1st to 4th until the game in Toronto.  Oso and Teibert should start both of the next two games.

While Floro disapointted me in some choices, the flip side is he chose a gameplan that put his players in position to make it happen.

Larin lucked into an opportunity and blew it.

Piette made a great run on a free kick (who designed that?) and earned a free header...and blew it.

Ricketts had a great chance down the wing to throw a cross into an unmarked forward (Akindele I think) and decided to punt it out of the park.

Those 3, very, very good chances, should have won us the match.  You give those 3 chances to any of the better clubs in this region and the score at least 2/3. 

Keeping things in perspective, we have 2 games left and play two teams that we can take points from. Jamaica and Costa Rica are not only beatable, but they both played first choice teams against each other and both only have a point to show for it. This group is wide open folks, keep that in mind.

You can make an argument that only 4 truly first choice players (Jakovic, Edgar, Akindele, Larin) started the match tonight. De Jong (Morgan), Ledgerwood (Hainault), Ricketts (Jackson) are all replaceable with equal or better options.

Resting guys early is not the strategy i'd personally employ, but it might be worth it considering Costa Rica and Jamaica just beat themselves up for only a point a piece. Jamaica in particular are at high risk of fatigue and we play them next in the Houston heat. McCleary, MacAnuff, Marriappa, Morgan and Dawkins are all British guys not exactly conditioned to playing in those conditions, and the guys that would be, like Mattocks, Austin, Barnes (by virtue of Dynamo) are not 100% immune to humidity and high temps.

It won't be easy, but a fresher Canada can get a win against a fatigued Jamaica in hot conditions.

Also, as pissed off as I am about this match (and with Floro's approach), if Larin had kept his composure and put the ball in the net, than we'd be topping the group with several fresh bodies heading into next match. Floro would be hailed as a genius.

Again, something else to keep in perspective - the margins between great and poor coaching decisions are often as small as the skip of a ball before a shot.

Edited by Obinna

Wasn't expecting this reaction to Floro.  I think his tactics were spot on but our players didn't perform as needed, straight up.  Akindele and Ricketts weren't able to penetrate/create when given possession.  Larin who we placed all our hope on missed a sitter, it happens when you put such expectations on such players.  Bekker as a starter was shocking of course but if you're going to start him one game it would be this one no?  Floro seemed to want to take advantage of Bekker's set pieces with essentially 3 CD's on the pitch combined with our top 3 attackers... that should have created a goal and it didn't.

I'm as angered as anyone about the substitutions but as a football supporter how many times do you actually see a sub you want?  From my experience it's never the right timing or player.  Floro clearly had a plan and I think he made the right subs but with the incorrect timing.  

I see some Piette criticism here... am I crazy or was he not our best player tonight?  Very impressed by his performance.  

Bekker wasn't bad in keeping possession except for the fact he's a fraud and is trying to blend in out there but it's painfully obvious he has no ambition to close down players and he always makes a half hearted attempt to pretend he tried.  Call up ANYONE with a desire to die for this shirt.  That type of effort does not deserve a starting XI place for us.  If you combined the will and athleticism of Ricketts with the skill/ability of Bekker you would have the best Canadian player of all time.

I agree that Piette was probably our best player, followed by Jako and Kenny in my opinion.  I do agree with others though that Piette should be starting as a DM, not higher up the field.

We took a gamble by not going with our best 11 and trying to get 3 points.  If it had worked, it would have been amazing to have 3 points and RT and JO fresh for the game vs. J.  But I don't think you can take that kind of risk. Get the 3 points in the first game and figure out the rest later.

I'll repeat my comment from another thread regarding Will J.  If we're resting players in the first match, why couldn't Will J. play game 1 vs. ES, rest vs. J, and then play vs. CR.  This is surely not a crazy amount of playing time over a week stretch!

I'll repeat my comment from another thread regarding Will J.  If we're resting players in the first match, why couldn't Will J. play game 1 vs. ES, rest vs. J, and then play vs. CR.  This is surely not a crazy amount of playing time over a week stretch!

I don't like to make these kind of guesses but maybe Will Johnson refused to play the GC after reflecting and the lack of playing time against the two Dominica games. He didn't like the idea of being on the bench again, which would mean little playing time or no playing at all for CNMT and for his club.

I don't like to make these kind of guesses but maybe Will Johnson refused to play the GC after reflecting and the lack of playing time against the two Dominica games. He didn't like the idea of being on the bench again, which would mean little playing time or no playing at all for CNMT and for his club.

Yeah, that was part of my point ... if the reason given for him not being at the GC is that it's too many games in a short stretch, that doesn't make any sense!  He could get rested in game 2 the way we were presumably resting RT and JO in game 1.  So, it seems like it's something else in WJ's case ... maybe he really is not interested in playing for Canada, or he and Floro butted heads, or Floro doesn't rate him.

Yeah, that was part of my point ... if the reason given for him not being at the GC is that it's too many games in a short stretch, that doesn't make any sense!  He could get rested in game 2 the way we were presumably resting RT and JO in game 1.  So, it seems like it's something else in WJ's case ... maybe he really is not interested in playing for Canada, or he and Floro butted heads, or Floro doesn't rate him.

My guess (again, not the kind of guesses I want to make) is that Johnson is interested in playing time. So maybe he thought it was a bad idea being called for the Dominca games and have 0 minutes of playing time. And after several months of inactivity due to a serious injury, he understands he can't be a starter right while others were playing under Floro since day 1. Also, although Johnson had some starts for his clubs recently, I have the feeling that Johnson is not an automatic starter for Portland like he was before his injury. That's why, IMO, he wants to settle things one team at the time. Being called for the GC and playing during the tournament could also affect the work he's been doing to be part of the starting XI with Portland.

Today, our MNT is looking better than a few years ago, I mean the time Collin was in charge after the 8-1 loss. So Cavallini being the exception, I find difficult to understand that any player from the pool would lose interest to play for MNT today.

Come on, are you saying Bekker is lighting it up in practice and thus earned his spot? This is silly. Floro gets paid six figures to make these calls and he fucking blew it this game. Blew. It.

We never stood a chance. Pitiful.

Not arguing about Bekker but if Larin scores on that sitter where not having this conversation about Floro. Edited by mserson

Am I the only one who thinks Haber should learn to head a ball down to teammates occasionally instead of weakly going for goal?

Agreed.

On the 2nd header he had, I think, Osorio was wide open next to him. It was as sure a goal we can have.

Hopefully they'll be reviewing a good amount of tape over the next few days,

Agreed.

On the 2nd header he had, I think, Osorio was wide open next to him. It was as sure a goal we can have.

Hopefully they'll be reviewing a good amount of tape over the next few days,

Yeah, the 2nd one should definitely have gone to Oso, who seemed to be open, and disappointed not to have gotten it.  BUT, all in all, I think Haber did plenty in his 20 minutes.  I'm confused as to why most are upset with his performance.  He only played 20 minutes and did have 2 shots that were actually on target, plus won a few free kicks.  He's limited in what he can do, yes, but he does pose a scoring threat in the air, and we don't have many players who pose a scoring threat period. Ricketts cannot score unless we are playing a minnow, or someone gifts him a tap in from 4 yards out.

Don't get me wrong, I loved what Haber did for the time he was on and thought he was good value for the substitution. I just think that with Larin's unlucky bounce and Haber not seeing Osorio (let's be charitable) it could have easily been a 2-0 win in a game we should have won.

Don't get me wrong, I loved what Haber did for the time he was on and thought he was good value for the substitution. I just think that with Larin's unlucky bounce and Haber not seeing Osorio (let's be charitable) it could have easily been a 2-0 win in a game we should have won.

Same goes for El Salvador on multiple plays. One that stands out is when Kenny muffed that punch out.

Not arguing about Bekker but if Larin scores on that sitter where not having this conversation about Floro.

Honestly I thought at best this was a 1-0 game for us … and we missed the best chance at it. Without that IMO this is what we get and where we're at. It's always going to be a nightmare playing central american teams - from Costa RIca to El Salvador/Nicaragua/Guatemala. There's plenty we can say in retrospect, but quite a few have surmised what Floro was probably thinking and it's pretty fair considering the opponent. I don't expect the same set up against Jamaica and hope for something much different. I'll wait until the tourney is over for any comments on Floro.