Wanted: Anyone involved with original purchase of V-Cup

Hey gang... I'm hoping to put together a story about the history of the trophy, ahead of the final in August.

Looking for anyone who was involved around the time of its original purchase and is willing to share a few thoughts.

Hit me up through the forum messaging system or on Twitter. Thanks.

Hey gang... I'm hoping to put together a story about the history of the trophy, ahead of the final in August.

Looking for anyone who was involved around the time of its original purchase and is willing to share a few thoughts.

Hit me up through the forum messaging system or on Twitter. Thanks.

There are plenty of us around. I'd recommend going back and reading those threads.

But there were those of us who said we'd donate something, which was easy, and those who did serious groundwork, like Winnipeg Fury and a few others. And those who since then tended to it  and did press stuff and contacted clubs, when the old USL teams did not even know what we were trying to do, and the CSA even less.

I am proud to have donated back then, very proud in fact, but I probably don't have any more thoughts on that beyond what I have just said. 

I think I also donated for the plaque for a women's V-Cup (or maybe I didn't, see how unsubstantial donating was?), but  where is that thing now anyways?

Agreed - speak with Dwayne.

I recall that Dwayne later led the effort to convince the CSA to adopt the Voyageurs Cup for the subsequent Canadian Championship. He worked with supporters groups of the three clubs (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) to back the endeavour, leading to a joint lobbying proposal to the CSA.

I seem to remember Dwayne having difficulty getting any responses from Vancouver, so he reached out to me, and I convinced Johnnie Monster to write a letter of support. Vancouver's reticent support perhaps best explainsr the karma behind Vancouver going 0-for-13 thus far in the competition.  ;)

Eh boys, hows it going ?   Someone e-mailed and said you were looking for me.  Not sure how much more I can post on here.......  

Originally the CSA had no intention of using the V-Cup.  It wasn't even an option being considered originally.  So I went to work and got all three clubs on board to have the Voyageurs Cup used.  I spoke with Bob L/Whitecaps and they were absolutely supportive of the V-Cup.  In fact, they were aghast at some of the ideas being floated about by the CSA.

Once I had the clubs on board, I worked on getting the supporter groups on board (may have been the other way around).  Once I had the clubs on board and the supporters on board, the CSA were really in a pickle and basically had to use the Voyageurs Cup.

I kept everyone informed of every move when I was involved with the V's, so it should all be on the forum.  Those were fun & exciting days.

• 3 weeks later...

Winnipeg Fuy. I appreciate all the effort you put in the V-cup. I remember Matt?? I believe that would represent the Voyageurs and give the V-cup to the best Canadian team, before the V-cup became the Amway Championship with a CCCL berth on the line. Glad to see the trophy in good hands and being recognized as something worthwhile for years to come.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived