WWC 2015 - Semifinals - June 30 & July 1 - USA vs. Germany & Japan vs. England [R]

gwsmith63

It's going to kill me if the US wins after all the turf whining they did, but it's going to kill me even more to hear the conspiracy theorists who claim the US won or lost because of the raids on FIFA.

I'm rooting for England on this one. Lets keep it in the Commonwealth.

It's going to kill me if the US wins after all the turf whining they did, but it's going to kill me even more to hear the conspiracy theorists who claim the US won or lost because of the raids on FIFA.

Given that the US women's team always seems to get shady refereeing in their favour it might be pretty hard to blame that on the FIFA raids!  :)

I'm rooting for England on this one. Lets keep it in the Commonwealth.

LOL, only a Canadian could root for England now. They beat our team, their players disrespected and condescended to our fans (e.g. us) and now we are supposed to cheer for them?

LOL, only a Canadian could root for England now. They beat our team, their players disrespected and condescended to our fans (e.g. us) and now we are supposed to cheer for them?

Maybe some Canadians.  I'm rooting for Japan.  And then the Germans.

Figures  the  Americans  would  win,  First  of  all    there  should  have been   a  Red  Card  on  that  foul   in  which  the  German  player  missed  on  that  penalty  kick,  Go  figure,  then  that  foul   was slighty outside  the  box,  instead  she  rewards  the  Americans a  penalty.

Ahem, regardless of reffing errors, the US was way superior, no German player stepped up. The US dominated physically and tactically, and totally deserved to go through. I don't like them, but I admire them.

And I was hoping please God don't let them win, since I'm walking distance to BC Place now I don't want to have to even smell their flag in the neighbourhood. But the truth is, they play as a team and to win and pulled it out, and Germany had everything in their favour and screwed up in spite of being inferior.

Is the disrespect to the fans their comment about how there was no atmosphere or passion in the crowd? Because respect is earned, not given.

Is the disrespect to the fans their comment about how there was no atmosphere or passion in the crowd? Because respect is earned, not given.

Agreed.  I was also disrespectful to the majority of our fans.  I've been complaining about how they all (besides our crew) sit on their hands and make zero noise.  

I'm sure England would make an exception for us as fans in terms of atmosphere and passion, wasn't directed at us, just the other 50000 on any given game.  Rightfully so.  

Figures  the  Americans  would  win,  First  of  all    there  should  have been   a  Red  Card  on  that  foul   in  which  the  German  player  missed  on  that  penalty  kick,  Go  figure,  then  that  foul   was slighty outside  the  box,  instead  she  rewards  the  Americans a  penalty.

Agree with the red card.  On the second I would have given a FK for Germany, Morgan was throwing her body against the back of the German impeding progress.  Morgan had been throwing her body all along during the game and getting away with it.  FIFA requires from Referees to be decisive, firm and quick on calling PKs.  In my experience the calling of PKs would greatly benefit if referees would take a few seconds to think and play back in their heads what happened taking in consideration the present and previous demeanor of the players.

reports this morning are mentioning that the foul on Germany occurred outside the box.    but i watch the game without the benefit of sound/commentators and i missed that part.   my comments above, about that call beeing scandanous,  are based on the infraction.   And,  what happened is that the attacking american ran right into the defender and the defender couldnt get out of of the way.   

its a bit annoying to read this morning that american commentators are actually stating that that was foul while acknowledging it was outside the box.    but it wasnt a F@@@@@g foul at all.  knowing what i know now,  that game was doublely scandalous.    

add this to what happened in the semi finals at the olympics, thats what i mean by becomming cynical of it all.   if a script writer were to write it all up for FIFA,  it would be logical to have the US womens a world beater and its the same with other sides who are not world renown as true global on mens side (eg.: Japan, Canada, australia, etc).  whereas a truly talented woman's national team like France, would not make a good script if they were to win it all.. 

Agree with the red card.  On the second I would have given a FK for Germany, Morgan was throwing her body against the back of the German impeding progress.  Morgan had been throwing her body all along during the game and getting away with it.  FIFA requires from Referees to be decisive, firm and quick on calling PKs.  In my experience the calling of PKs would greatly benefit if referees would take a few seconds to think and play back in their heads what happened taking in consideration the present and previous demeanor of the players.

what about consulting the sideline official(ie: lineswomen)?  they are supposed to do that.  

The USA are getting the homeside treatment in this world cup.  They are packing the stadiums with their supporters and you can clearly see the benefit with refereeing decisions that we saw yesterday.

PS.:  its not like the Germans did anything to clearly deserve a win based on the balance of play. But still, you would like to see games decided by players not the referee.

I was there too last night and have seen both teams a couple times each.  The Germans were nowhere near as sharp and crisp and intentful as they have been.  The calls definitely affected the outcome but not as much as the schedule.  I think they were still mentally and physically gassed from the French battle to the death.  They all looked like they were playing on half a tank.

Angerer v Angrier

Still laughing a day later.  I have the urge to buy a U.S. goalkeeper jersey and put that as the name on the back.

What was the attendance?

from reports i read and from what we could tell on TV, it was a full house a the big O and it was all americans.   must have been a good day for the tourism industry in Montreal.  coincidentally, recent news reports out of Quebec were lamenting the big drop in US tourism to Quebec in the last ten years.  

Ahem, regardless of reffing errors, the US was way superior, no German player stepped up. The US dominated physically and tactically, and totally deserved to go through. I don't like them, but I admire them.

I agree with both of you.  I also think the Germans may have lacked the juice after going 120 minutes vs the French.  I was surprised they didn't opt for three in the back in the latter stages:  I think they only used one sub (injury issues on the bench?) in this game.

I haven't seen the US / Germany match yet but there is a huge conflict of interest in the selection of referees at the World Cup and of course FIFA want to keep it this way to further their objective of making sure they make as much money as possible.

It works like this:

1. It is well known by everybody, including the referees, which teams FIFA want to win so that they make as much money as possible.

2. The referees all want to be chosen to do the bigger matches, especially the final. Although I'm sure they are honest how can it not be in the back of their minds that a bad call against the team FIFA wants to win will see them on the next plane home whereas a bad call against the other team will not only be brushed under the carpet but is likely to further their refereeing career! Who among us could say we wouldn't have a bias under those circumstances, even if it is a subconscious one. Football is full of subjective decisions which make it perfect for a biased referee to influence the outcome and FIFA have a financial interest in keeping it that way. This is why they had to have their arm twisted almost out of its socket before they finally brought in goal line technology - many years after similar technology was used in tennis, a much more difficult challenge.

this makes a lot of sence.    and it relates to my point that that this is a home tournamnent for the americans with most of the venues being a 2-3 hour drive from the US border.   kudos to the americans for their great support but on the other hand, it all makes a sham of the sport.  i dont hold the WC, as an event,  with same reverance i once did.  after seeing the scams we saw in Korea 2002 and last night. 

My prediction for the final?   it will refereed fairly.  why?  because once those americans have spent their money for a ticket,  the money will already be deposited in the bank account before kick off.  There are no more games after that so there is no additional financial benefit in helping them advance.   same situation in Korea 2002,   had Korea been knocked out in the group stage or round of sixteen (as they should have), then who would bought tickets for the other games in the knockout stage?    

i am starting to wish that all of these event would just happen in europe. whereby the proximity of nations means that traveling support is always going to be strong regardless of whose in and out of the tournament.

The thing about conspiracy theories is that you get a lot of conjecture for very little facts.

If the Germans would have won then the Americans were being "punished" for their criminal investigation of fifa.

See how that works.

That's what I'd expect a FIFAlluminati lizard person to say.

Follow the sponsons. Follow the towrads.

Archived