Development, compensation and a new league

ted

There are two pieces I came across today that while addressing slightly different issues that, taken together, provide important guidance for how to build an effective development system.

McCormack's blog post is about and from the presepecitve of a female in the system but almost every single word could equally be applied to the men's game in Canada.

5 Quick Ways to Fix The Deadbeat Boyfriend That is Canadian Soccer

Ciara McCormack - June 29, 2015

Another major event has finished for Canadian soccer. With it, like clockwork comes the inevitable cries for change in the system as it continues to be blatantly apparent that from a technical and tactical standpoint Canada is slipping as other countries are taking strides.

[big snip]

The fact that currently in the majority of the country, there is no place for [female] players to play soccer after high school is an embarrassment for the amount of money that sits in Canadian soccer off of registration alone. The fact is that there is a massive jump from not even high school soccer to the national team level, but from even the highest level of college soccer. People need a place to be able to play to grow and thrive as players.

Full article>>

Bird's article on SI.com is about an important case that might finally see the USSF and MLS forced to accept that development money should be paid to youth clubs as is done EVERYWHERE ELSE but the US and Canada.

Yedlin's youth club takes grievance vs. MLS, USSF over compensation to FIFA
Liviu Bird - June 29, 2015

American youth soccer clubs don’t receive compensation for former players signing professional contracts, despite FIFA regulations designed to reward successful player development through its “solidarity mechanism.” U.S. Soccer doesn’t allow it, citing law precedent, so one of DeAndre Yedlin’s former clubs is appealing to the world’s governing body in hope of finally getting paid.

[big snip]

“The question should be asked as to why MLS clubs are willing to spend millions of dollars, if not dozens of millions of dollars, on the likes of Steven Gerrard or [Frank] Lampard or maybe [Andrea] Pirlo now, or Thierry Henry as we did with Red Bull, and yet we’re not willing to compensate our own neighboring clubs or competitive youth clubs throughout the country that are the ones where the vast majority of the MLS players, at least the U.S. ones, are being developed,” Jérôme de Bontin, former New York Red Bulls general manager and AS Monaco president, told SI.com.

Full article>>

Washington Crossfire is in the same PDL division as Calgary.  They could be owed $100,000 for Yedlin.  Huge amount for a club like that.  That would probably cover at least half of their PDL budget for a year.

Jason

I was told by Thomas Niendorf that Owen Hargreaves' Calgary club did receive payments when he transferred from Bayern Munich to Manchester United. It is going around twitter that Ontario youth clubs where compensated when Henry transferred from TFC to Europe. So I think that problem is just a US thing, not a Canadian one.

I assume MLS did not pay any money to Sigma when Larin and Bekker signed their first professional contracts.

I was told by Thomas Niendorf that Owen Hargreaves' Calgary club did receive payments when he transferred from Bayern Munich to Manchester United. It is going around twitter that Ontario youth clubs where compensated when Henry transferred from TFC to Europe. So I think that problem is just a US thing, not a Canadian one.

I assume MLS did not pay any money to Sigma when Larin and Bekker signed their first professional contracts.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression the solidarity payment regime didn't apply to our pay-to-play system.  I thought the logic behind it is that if a club has incurred costs to develop a player, they should be compensated.  Here is a link to the FIFA document (Annex 4 and 5 are relevant), but it isn't entirely clear to me from a quick read.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/01/06/30/78/statusinhalt_en_122007.pdf

I think McCormacks article is wishy washy, except for opening up a free market system.

If we had even 5-10 Sigma's in Canada consistently putting players in MLS and Top NCAA programs, where would we be? We have to give up the notion we can produce elite players from club teams with volunteer dads.

Completely seperate elite soccer from recreational soccer, have owners of academies with a vested interest in success allowed to fully participate wherever they want and get the hell out of the way.

Archived