Pan Am Games Toronto 2015

xabuep2

Too bad.  It seems like a lost opportunity...if they had won tonight, they would be guaranteed to be playing for a medal.  They'll have their full squad back on Sunday but I'm not sure it matters against Brazil.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe that Worthington wasted an hour to find out that Nkem Ezurike is a terrible center forward. Her top pace is plodding. Her jogging pace is glacial . She is the dictionary definition of  slow : both in foot speed and reflexes.

I too was surprised to see Ezurike being so out of it.  If I recall correctly she used to be very fast and a constant danger to the opposition.  In this game I liked #14 Gabrielle Carle up front.

It's a Canada C-team that played the Costa Rica A-team. Only two players who played today had Senior World Cup experience versus all 18. Those teams are taking the PanAm games seriously and results like that were to be expected. Costa Rica in my mind has suprassed Mexico has our biggest threat for Olympic qualifying. They have done something that I've seen from the Olympic qualifiers 3 years ago and I thought that they were closing in on the other teams and they are getting even closer with all the games that you learn losing to the US.  Oh and you have Shirley Cruz who's won a fricking Champions League.

How many female Canadians have won that tournament? (I'm guessing the answer is 0, but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure there has been a Canadian in a Champions League semi-final)

I wish the CSA and the media were much more transparent about Buchanan & Lawrence not being available for all matches.

Given they knew this, I don't understand why they put an A lineup against Ecuador but a B lineup vs Costa Rica. This was the match to win to get to the medal round. 

Otherwise, this was an all too frequent performance seen by many Canadian men and women's teams. Lots of aimless passing between the back line which eventually goes back to the gk who ends up booting it out of bounds. Or it ends up with one of the defenders booting a low probability long ball that the forward can't handle and loses possession. So unless the midfielders were static, why were they by passed?

On first goal, no defender jumped for the ball or they're all waiting for Sheridan to get the ball. On second goal, Sheridan was too aggressive in coming out given that the Costa Rican wasn't going to beat her with power.

Ezurike was a non-factor. Carle ran around a lot but no final product. Crossing by left or right backs was non-existent or went out of bounds. No real shots on goal by forwards till towards the end. No real pressing of back line by the forwards. Fleming continues to be muscled off the ball and she is coming too deep to get the ball - or is it because she has no confidence the back line will get the ball to her. Either way, she has been a non-factor. All the midfield subs were non-factors. Levasseur did finally test the Costa Rican keeper a couple of times.

Random day-after reflections.

The result is about what you get when you put students on the field against a bad World Cup team.  The only reason Costa Rica were in the World Cup was we were hosting, and they got there via penalties with Trinidad, who lost out in penalties to Ecuador for the backdoor.

Costa Rican shots on goal in their three World Cup games: 1, 2, and 2.

Costa Rica rank:  #34, between Thailand and Vietnam.

The good news is we found some university students to step up and didn't have to send all high school students.  But thank God no political turf was lost again this year and all jobs and board positions have been protected.  Maybe one day the world will catch up to us in this.

Giving 20 kids a run and look is amazing, but is in front of 12,000 people in Hamilton in a competitive tournament the right place for it?

The spin following the game was about putting 16 year-old's on the field because of missing players.  No disrespect to them for their talent at their age but there are so many players in Canada better than those kids it's not funny and I can only imagine how insulting it is to them to hear stuff like that.

If our key players had to leave and we're not taking the tournament seriously, why are we spending our very limited money to bring them back?

Our pay-to-play Universaide team each spent thousands to go to a training camp and then Gwangju for a week to play, which meant a lot of our best players didn't opt in.  If the best all had big wallets and Buchanan wasn't on the field like last night, I'd pay good money to see that game.

The average age of Canadian and USA women's World Cup teams was around 28.  There are lots of good young players but they're the aberration, most women peak on the late side of the twenties.  Is this tournament is a sign of what's coming?  Are we going to spend another decade focusing on 11 teenagers and young women?  Do we really think what worked 15 years ago will work now?  Have we learned nothing watching how the game is developing around the world?

Congratulations to Costa Rica, they scored a pair of nice goals and defended well. Totally deserved.

The only reason Costa Rica were in the World Cup was we were hosting, and they got there via penalties with Trinidad, who lost out in penalties to Ecuador for the backdoor.

One post you praise Costa Rica and in the next you put them down.  Costa Rica was the better team and won fair and square.  And by the way Trinidad did not lose to Ecuador in penalties, they lost off a last minute free kick that Ecuador score.

At the end of the day two players missing would not have change the result . Remember what is being told to us that these are our future !! I just wish Herdman and his crew would look outside the Provincial pools as they would be amazed on what they would find . Though that would require actually working for a living 

One post you praise Costa Rica and in the next you put them down.  Costa Rica was the better team and won fair and square.  And by the way Trinidad did not lose to Ecuador in penalties, they lost off a last minute free kick that Ecuador score.

Ah yes, it was a late free kick, great memory.  I've seen too many games lately or been using too many aluminum pots.  I watched that playoff and if anyone is a horror fan and can't find a flick one night, find a copy of that one.  Could be in the record books for adult game with the least passes.

As I said I think Costa Rica fully deserved the win - in that game.  They're from a small country and it's a big win for them and when you see the emotion from the players and their coach it's hard not to be happy for them.  They cunningly often manage to keep games close against better teams.  But that doesn't mean I think they're great by any stretch.  I've seen 11 year-old's year old's score a pair of nice goals and defend well.

Brazil aren't what they used to be and even without Marta outshot Costa Rica 29-4.  The only other team they've beaten this year is Bosnia & Herzegovina.

At the end of the day two players missing would not have change the result . Remember what is being told to us that these are our future !! I just wish Herdman and his crew would look outside the Provincial pools as they would be amazed on what they would find . Though that would require actually working for a living 

Could you provide a name or two or three that you would recommend to Herdman and the CSA?  This is an honest question, and not a criticism as uncovering and exposing players is very important.

Not a big fan at all of talking about people who are outside the system and have not opted in or received any support or compensation.  It starts with the best intentions but ends up with them being slagged and it's not right.  It also gets pretty annoying when people lobby their friends ad infinitum.

The saying is you don't send a boy to do a man's job.  Pretty sure feminists would update it.

I pray daily that one day we have an actual competitive system so a conversation like this never takes place again.

Both goals scored by Kerlly Real.  Ecuador in spite of their loses are slowly coming around.  Well done muchachas.

They started off the world cup very poorly, but got better every game.  They played a very decent game against Japan.  Ecuador has a long way to go, but I'm really impressed with the team's ability to learn quickly.  They are an advertisement for why you should bring in more lower tier teams into major tournaments.

Shocking result in the early game - it looked like Ecuador was roadkill in this group.  Good for them, though.  Brazil has the edge so far but it hasn't been completely lopsided.

Not really super important, but the CSA/Cdn Pan Am committee/whomever should spring for names on their jerseys.  It looks a lot more professional and couldn't add that much cost in the greater scheme of things.  I know it was the same for the men.

Canada looked very flat in the 45 minutes. Nothing at all going forward from the back. Looked better in the second half. Actually completed some passes and a couple of decent runs. Naturally, Brazil scored on a counter after the ladies' first real push for a goal. The Brazilians press really well and forced them to give up possession.

Bright spots are definitely Buchanan and Lawrence. Stewart ran her socks off. Levasseur wasn't able to put in a cross or put a shot on target - she didn't impress.

Good news is that they get two more games under their belts and, hopefully, can come away with a medal.

Canada played quite well and were frustrating the Brazilians in the first half.  The return of Buchanan and Lawrence seems to have made a big difference compared to the Costa Rican match.

Once again, Canada failed to generate much on attack but this is nothing new and it was a tough ask against a strong senior team.  They will have to step it up to beat Colombia, but it is doable.

I was glad to see her off too.  Formiga is about 20 years older than most of our team.  She was playing internationally for Brazil before they were born.

Brazil has a lot of players who are beautiful with the ball but they seem hopelessly directionless and yes like a headless dragon without Marta.  Luckily they have Cristiane as a backup or they'd be in harm's way.  Surprising a country like that can turn out acres of quality men's strikers but only two on the women's side.

Archived