Sunday, June 21

2:00 PM ADT - At Moncton - Brazil vs. Australia

4:00 PM EDT - At Montreal - France vs. South Korea

Monday, June 22

5:00 PM EDT - At Ottawa - Norway vs. England

6:00 PM MDT - At Edmonton - United States vs. Colombia

Tuesday, June 23

7:00 PM PDT - At Vancouver - Japan vs. Netherlands

A perfect German flop in the area wins a penalty. Feel a tiny bit of contact and just stop moving your legs and let your momentum cause you to flop to the ground. The Germans do it expertly. Poor decision.

Pushing and tripping compound foul.  Good call.

A perfect German flop in the area wins a penalty. Feel a tiny bit of contact and just stop moving your legs and let your momentum cause you to flop to the ground. The Germans do it expertly. Poor decision.

Don't disagree that it was a flop, but it was a dumb challenge.  No where near the ball.

Simone Laudehr  ( FC Frankfurt ) is very underrated as a player-- overshadowed by players like Sasic, Mittag, Popp, Marozsan.   Laudehr is a tall, athletic forward/midfielder who can score goals and set them up; she's defensively responsible, very physical, and even a little bit dirty ( with dives and cheap shots).  At the 1.35 minute mark of the video clip Laudehr intentionally stomped  Christine Sinclair's foot during action in a wall.  (she even had to reach around Chelsea Stewart to do it )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXNiMS907gQ

Consequently, my opinion of Simone Laudehr was pretty low two years ago (when this game was played) but since then I've come to realize what a gritty  two-way player that Germany is lucky to have.

Probably the most boring match I've seen so far, and worse played. Sweden tentative, with no conviction, but still able to get a few chances. Germany playing below their capability, looking vulnerable if you think a slightly better Sweden and reffing could have made the score itself close. Reffing sad frankly.

Liked the Sweden keeper have to say, very serious player.

Simone Laudehr  ( FC Frankfurt ) is very underrated as a player-- overshadowed by players like Sasic, Mittag, Popp, Marozsan.   Laudehr is a tall, athletic forward/midfielder who can score goals and set them up; she's defensively responsible, very physical, and even a little bit dirty ( with dives and cheap shots).  At the 1.35 minute mark of the video clip Laudehr intentionally stomped  Christine Sinclair's foot during action in a wall.  (she even had to reach around Chelsea Stewart to do it )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXNiMS907gQ

Consequently, my opinion of Simone Laudehr was pretty low two years ago (when this game was played) but since then I've come to realize what a gritty  two-way player that Germany is lucky to have.

Did Kerstin Garefrekes not make the team?  I like her.

Probably the most boring match I've seen so far, and worse played. Sweden tentative, with no conviction, but still able to get a few chances. Germany playing below their capability, looking vulnerable if you think a slightly better Sweden and reffing could have made the score itself close. Reffing sad frankly.

Liked the Sweden keeper have to say, very serious player.

Pretty good summary.  I was thinking all those myself.

Hedvig Lindahl (the Swedish goalkeeper) is a longstanding legend amongst Swedish fans, but for being a hot mess.  You caught her on a good day today, she had a pretty good match.

These matches are Olympic qualification for European teams and Sweden were pretty gutted at the end.  They didn't play sensational but they didn't get much help from the North Korean official either.  But it wasn't one bad game that packed them out it was most of the tournament, so they'll have an interesting post-mortem.  They seem to do a lot of things well but nothing good enough to succeed.

Garefrekes still plays and has signed for one more club year for Frankfurt but retired from international play after their disaster in 2011.

Very entertaining China-Cameroon. Both teams played their style from start to finish. Cameroon was missing a bit of sense, or pause or alternatives in the box, they are vertical and gutsy and probably they deserved to score, not for great chances but for constantly pushing and going forward. Funny how really Cameroon played a kind of classic British style, looking for the head of their target Enganamouit. She was your typical egotistical target striker as well. 

What I liked about China was their fitness and athleticism, they look so slight but are in facct strong on the ball and very good athletes, and they strike the ball around nicely. We maybe did not see the best of China, sitting on that early lead, but they are a very cohesive team with few weak spots. 

Well reffed. Ahem, that was a ref, those were lineswomen (some hard calls there). Good work, Steinhaus is an experienced classic, and I am supposing she refs German league, and it shows.

Pretty much a sellout.  Think it was announced as 22k and the place holds 24.  The only empty patches were what FIFA had kept.  The problem with Commonwealth is 15k in there looks like a ghost town because of the size of it.

I thought Cameroon played better in group, but for a first-timer they played a second round match and put in a pretty good performance and despite their naiveties have some character.  Nice debut for them.

Australia through. Good honest hard working team. Big plus for the tournament.

For a change I thought it was a very well refereed match, except for a bizarre interpretation of the handball rule, where every time the ball touched somebody's hand she called it deliberate when several times it was clearly accidental.

Some players are way too smart.  Good thing the referee was at least consistent.

Could have skipped that 1st half but last 45 was okay.  Add a little rain to the mix and the Brazilians we're shooting from everywhere.  Pity for them the keeper who spilled the ball was at their end of the pitch.

Oh, Marta lost her temper a wee bit there eh?

Yeeees! Cheats never prosper Womback! Nice penalty. Too bad the goal isn't twenty feet wider!

US will win anyway but I enjoyed that.

Colombia gave them all they got, but with 10 players and number 3 goalkeeper it was a big disadvantage.  Was the contact on foul penalized with a PK just outside the line? couldn't tell.  I can see a red card but not a PK.

Norway controlling the match against England and looking much more dangerous. Very strong and honest team. After a bad back pass the England defender was clearly using her arm to hold up the Norway forward who would surely have got a penalty had she done the German flop. Instead she stayed up strong and got a good shot away, which was from an angle and saved.

Seems kind of wrong that you have to dive to get a penalty.  If a referee can let a play continue and call it back if there is no advantage, they should do it in the box as well.

I can't find film but I swore I saw the keeper touch the ball.  Looked like it deflected off her.

GK.33 On a breakaway diving save, the goalkeeper barely touches the ball just before the attacker trips over the goalkeepers outstretched arms. What's the call?

As long as the goalkeeper did not grab at or reach up for the attacker after playing the ball the play should be allowed to continue. By playing the ball first, the goalkeeper made a legal play.

I can't find film but I swore I saw the keeper touch the ball.  Looked like it deflected off her.

GK.33 On a breakaway diving save, the goalkeeper barely touches the ball just before the attacker trips over the goalkeepers outstretched arms. What's the call?

As long as the goalkeeper did not grab at or reach up for the attacker after playing the ball the play should be allowed to continue. By playing the ball first, the goalkeeper made a legal play.

i saw the same thing, the keeper made contact with the ball.

I read her comments before posting that, she basically said I am not a flopper, it's not my nature, and had she not done it I would have finished better.  I've seen a lot of similar plays.

My point is a diver should not get an advantage.  The referee should play advantage and if there is none call the PK like everywhere else on the field.

So we know what our pathway is more or less going to look like assuming the Dutch don't stun the Japanese. Boy, would that ever be a favour to our side of the bracket if the Dutch pull off the mega upset. Also, I prefer our chances vs. England than vs. Norway.

Archived