China vs Cameroon

USA vs Colombia

Germany vs Sweden

France vs S. Korea

Brazil vs Australia

Japan vs Netherlands

Norway vs England

Canada vs Switzerland

The three biggies to me are us vs the Swiss (for obvious reasons), Norway vs England, and China vs Cameroon. Those last two pairings I really don't know who will come out ahead but my gut says Norway and China. I'll be glued to the TV Sunday for our match vs the Swiss, and fully believe we will win.

To clarify, I put my predicted winner first (winner vs loser).

womens-world-cup-tournament-bracket.jpg

Love the visuals.

Sure things (or close to);

Canada

USA

France

Very likely

Brazil

Japan

China

Germany

Don't know but you gotta choose one so..

Norway

Not exaclty sticking my neck out other than to call Canada a sure thing and give Auss, Holland and Sweden a fighting chance.  (Think Holland is a great opponent for Japan and Camaroon is pumped so..)

I feel like Cameroon might be able to beat China, although that seems a bit crazy to say when you look at the difference in their rankings. I think Colombia is going to trouble the US but the US will win.  I really liked Australia in the group stage and I think they could upset Brazil.   

I think the only clear cut match-up of all of them is the US-Colombia.

If I had to bet on two more it'd be on Japan and Canada, we are lucky to play a team with little following so our support will be strong.

The rest are ripe for upsets, Germany must be cursing their luck. I also think the Brazilians could be surprised, as the French.

My upset special is Australia over Brazil. Other than that I'm going by the book. China, United States, Germany, France, Japan, Norway, Canada.

Really Bobbo you're going Norway over England too? I figured you for a "let me just look at the FIFA Women's rankings and go by that" kind of part-time supporter ;)

Having watched the Swiss play in Vancouver, I would say that they are as good as the other teams Canada played in group A.  They are well organized, and their defensive midfielder is very good, and probably better than Des Scott on attack.  So, I'm not as confident that Canada is a cinch to win that game as many here are.

I would feel a lot better about our chances if the quality of our free kicks, corners, crosses and passes into the penalty area improved.  I seem to recall that most of those were pretty disappointing in the last three games.

Archived