WWC 2015 - Group A - June 15 - Canada vs. Netherlands [R]

mtlfan

I thought Fleming would be subbed off after the first half; she seemed tentative on the ball and in the later stages of the first half she took herself away from the play a lot.

Her performance was much more interesting in the second half, and the play came to her as she stayed more central.  I was disappointed when she was subbed off.

I thought Fleming would be subbed off after the first half; she seemed tentative on the ball and in the later stages of the first half she took herself away from the play a lot.

Her performance was much more interesting in the second half, and the play came to her as she stayed more central.  I was disappointed when she was subbed off.

Agreed, if she could only have made her shots count it would have been a huge boost but, no doubt, nerves played a part. She certainly looked uncomfortable in the first half so it was good to see her pick it up in the second. Sofie's been suffering from nerves it seem to me...sure hope she can shake it off. If she can play in the big games as she did against England it'll make a big difference. 

I agree with those who thought the Dutch deserved the tie.  We may have dominated posession in the first 3/4 of the field, but we were pretty weak around their penalty box.  We usually just gave away the ball, and if we managed a shot on goal, the keeper handled it easily.  I thought the Dutch were more dangerous when they had the ball around our penalty area, and McLeod had to make the more difficult saves.

^^^Thought Sofie's legs had quit her early into the 2nd half, has a few days to come back to life now, but still a better than fair performance from the lady.  As usual.

Ug.  Flemming.  Probably got told at the half she has 20 mins so make it count and definately improved after the break.  Still.  

Thought the ladies looked completely disjointed for long spells and at other times purposeful but I guess you have to take the good with the bad.  Herdman rolled the dice and came away with 1st in group.  MIssion #1 accomplished.  Took a little good luck to get but that's football.  Next up, round of 16.

On a night when the Dutch showed they were bigger, stronger and faster almost to a woman Buchanan absoluetly ruled her part of the pitch.  And her part of the pitch was were ever SHE decided it was going to be.  If at the end of this tourney she isn't in the 1st 11 something is seriously wrong.  Somebody get her in a commercial.

After finally watching this match on my PVR, I'm left with one thought:  where would this team be without Buchanan?

The question is where would this team be without Sinclair ?  When she is on the pitch her deficits now outweigh her benefits when she is started and given long minutes.

Archived