WWC 2015 - Group A - June 15 - Canada vs. Netherlands [R]

mtlfan

Odds makers have Canada as heavy favourites  CAN 1.66 3.60 5.50 NED

Canada needs to win to ensure top spot in Group A. I think the Chinese will beat NZ so they will have 6 points.

After  I watched France surrender to the Colombians all bets are off in this tournament

As for the starting 11 I hope to see this. 

Mc Leod

Belanger  Buchanan Sesselman Chapman

Scott Schmidt  Fleming Lawrence

Leon Sinclair

[ 1 ]  Even if Canada loses today, a 1 -1 -1 record may be enough to grab one of the four third-place berths in the round-of-16. Consequently, Herdman has a little bit of freedom  to rest some players and tinker with his starting eleven. Scott and Chapman both have yellow cards and risk suspension if they pick up another,  so some possible changes there. Herdman could go also  with Labbe and give Mcleod a rest. And if Wilkinson is fit then Herdman could push Belanger up front into an attacking role.

[ 2 ]  It's no secret that Sesselmann is not playing well. To me that's an opportunity for Moscato to take that starting position and make it her own. Overall Kadiesha Buchanan deserves A LOT  of credit for not only playing her position but  for covering for Sesselmann as well.

re. yellow cards

[ 1 ] Its true, all single yellow cards get cancelled after the quarter finals (not group stage). 

[ 2 ] If Scott and Chapman play in today's game and both pick up their second yellow cards then both players would be suspended for the following round-of-16 game which is a knockout game. If Canada loses in  that game then they're out of the tournament -- I would definitely want to have Scott and Chapman available for that game.

Well they took care of business and won the group.  I hope Sophie Schmidt isn't hurt for the next game.  She has a bit of time to recover.  While you'd like them to have won today; they did what they had to do so there can't be any complaints.

Lawrence, Leon and Buchannan are really coming on strong and bring lots of hope for the future of the program as they start to become the leaders of this team.  All 3 had very good games.

Ok What's the story with bringing in Tancredi, has she shown anything in this tournament?

Overall it was great to be at the stadium and see the support this team received. 

The girls played their hearts out. 

My concern is the bench.

Leon proved she should start again

They looked and played like a team which was really refreshing.  Good balance, supporting each other, great attitude and competitiveness.  The sum of the whole was much improved, some question marks and things to sort out but they're offset by the good signs.

The last half hour I was surprised we let the game open up as much as it did.  Thought we should have Chelsea'd behind the ball.  Run and gun with Melis on the field is a risky proposition.

Both teams showed stretches of what they're capable of if they put it all together and get some good fortune.  Unfortunately for the Dutch if they grab a wildcard it will be Germany or Japan they'll have to do it against in the 16.

A couple inches on a crossbar or a referees call and that could have been us.  As it is we'll get a third-place team.  They say timing is everything and you need that kind of magic in the Cup.  

They can all tell their grandkids they were part of the first Canadian senior team to win a World Cup group.

I think it will be Cameroon or Australia, or possibly Sweden. Group E is weak; Brazil should beat Costa Rica and then the 3rd place team will only have 2 points - not enough. Switzerland should not lose to Cameroon and so will finish 2nd.

You're right, Group E will likely finish with a 3rd place team with 2 pts and Group B Thailand will have a poor GD. So based on the chart in the link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup_knockout_stage

If ACDF send teams to the knockout round then 1A (Canada) plays 3C (likely Cameroon).

They looked and played like a team which was really refreshing.  Good balance, supporting each other, great attitude and competitiveness.  The sum of the whole was much improved, some question marks and things to sort out but they're offset by the good signs.

The last half hour I was surprised we let the game open up as much as it did.  Thought we should have Chelsea'd behind the ball.  Run and gun with Melis on the field is a risky proposition.

Both teams showed stretches of what they're capable of if they put it all together and get some good fortune.  Unfortunately for the Dutch if they grab a wildcard it will be Germany or Japan they'll have to do it against in the 16.

A couple inches on a crossbar or a referees call and that could have been us.  As it is we'll get a third-place team.  They say timing is everything and you need that kind of magic in the Cup.  

They can all tell their grandkids they were part of the first Canadian senior team to win a World Cup group.

I agree with this, spot on. The team was good and dominated, I was surprised watching Eurosport how they said the Dutch deserved to tie. They didn't, we deserved to win. Maybe not by a lot more, but win. We had some great play, great combinations, some truly sharp players in all our line, and I only had a few doubts. I don't think a double change 30 m from the end was smart in a 1-0 match. We did not manage the final minutes well, and the Dutch got lucky, as I see it. 

I also felt that the team was much more relaxed and played its game plan, and agree that most likely we are on an upper curve, which is what you want in a tournament like this. Build momentum and get a bit of luck. 

There is absolutely no problem with playing below your full potential in a major cup like this, as long as you stay alive. So many great teams have proven that to be true in men's WCs, so I am not worried if it is the tone of what we see with Canada here.

Archived