WWC 2015 - Group A - June 11 - Canada vs. New Zealand [R]

mtlfan

Although the TSN TV gang think Herdman should keep the same stating line-up as last game I disagree. Fleming needs to be on the pitch.

My Starting Line-Up

Mc Leod

Belanger  Buchanan Sesselman Chapman

Scott Schmidt  Fleming Lawrence

Leon Sinclair

Odds as per one site CAN 1.50 4.00 7.00 NZ

I mean Sinclair has to throw that across immediately. Instead she waits and allows defender to get back in position. 

In general all our players take too long to do something, they pause to think when they should play by heart at this stage of their training.  Too many balls lost because some try to be to cute, too many errant passes and quite a few awful balls to nowhere.  All as if we just put the team together.  If Herdman wants to play possession, that is fine, but our possession is more of a losing possession than the real thing.  Shooting with power and speed will also help.

Ug.

Kiwi's had the energy and intensity which their circumstance demanded and it showed on the field. Good for them (I guess).

Not a lot of love in my heart for that ref right now. Minor point really but still.

Common problem in referees is lack of consistency.

It wasn't just Tancredi, you could rip off 7-8 names.  They were playing not to lose, the Ferns were playing to win.  You could see that from Mars.  There were a couple people out there like Josée Bélanger who were playing with passion but not many.  No passion = no results.  On a technical level we had a couple players in the middle and up front who were ineffective and over-matched playing New Zealand, and it only gets tougher from this point on.  They'll need to take a good hard look in the mirror and find some fire and drive to succeed or the cup runneth over.

I watched the Germany/Norway game and seeing this after was like watching a game a division or two down.  Playing like that yesterday the Germans would have beat us by 6-7 goals.

So can we hope Sinclair will announce her retirmement from international play after this World Cup ?

Cause if she remains in the program, the coaches, including Herdman are going to fall into the trap of building team around a player who is past her prime, and in her prime scored the vast majority of her goals against minnows.

There are far fewer minnows these days.

Time to break up the family and build a new team from the bottom up, that will mean Herdman or whoever replaces him after an early bow out ( I suspect ) has to get out and actually scout players in University and club programs watching them play in the leagues they are in, instead of calling in the same old names to training camps and being unaware of what else is available.

Lethargic which happens, passionless which should never.

Wow am I ever dissapointed with this team so far! Sinclair is feeling the pressure and is not firing on alll cylinders. What is going on with Tancredi? She just looks so out of place. They missed so many chances here. Against China they looked like chickens with their heads chopped off. This game they just couldn't finish. I think they will beat the Netherlands (barely) but they are not going any further than the round of 16. I agree with whoever said that Herdman has to stop building the team around Sinclair. Time to retire the older players and bring in the youth.

It's not too late to turn things around and we're usually pretty good under pressure.  Home fan pressure and elimination pressure are a bit different.  Perhaps we just need a bit of it to spark the engines.  Playing sensational in the group rounds doesn't buy you any metal.  Italy won in '82 without winning a game in group.  We can play either very weak or very strong.  The magic is all in the timing.

So can we hope Sinclair will announce her retirmement from international play after this World Cup ?

Cause if she remains in the program, the coaches, including Herdman are going to fall into the trap of building team around a player who is past her prime, and in her prime scored the vast majority of her goals against minnows.

There are far fewer minnows these days.

Time to break up the family and build a new team from the bottom up, that will mean Herdman or whoever replaces him after an early bow out ( I suspect ) has to get out and actually scout players in University and club programs watching them play in the leagues they are in, instead of calling in the same old names to training camps and being unaware of what else is available.

Herdman has looked at and bought in many new players post Olympics. But at least up front, he didn't find anybody new except Leon. Poor elite player development is the root cause.

But I would blame him for staying with Tancredi. Not having Wilkinson and Matheson has hurt as Belanger could be moved up front and replace Foligno and playing Matheson means Tancredi can come off the bench.

Have to disagree with some here. At field level, intensity and passion looked like it was there. Quick decision making and team speed are lacking though.

There were a few hiccups but defensively in both games the ladies were very solid. Chapman dived in too strongly on her penalty but otherwise was very good. The rest of the backline, Macleod, and Scott there is not much to criticize. Ashley Lawrence has been pretty good but has also fallen prey to hesitation from time to time. Schmidt as well although she has played very well at times. Then there are the forwards, none of whom have impressed.

The problem is, how do you speed up decision making, increase pace, or get better finishing? At this point you either have these things or you don't and I think they only have a couple of options.

1) Do WAY better on set pieces. At least thier superior possession numbers led to a number of corners and free kicks. In two games they've done almost nothing with any of them and at least they are opportunities (if not the best statistically).

2) Hope to hell your injury situation improves. DMath might be the only person on that bench (besides Fleming) that can think/react quickly enough to recognize a run and play the killer ball. Without her, Fleming probably needs to start. No one else does what they do and it's needed. Maybe if Wilkinson gets healthy, Belanger can move up (not sure if that would help) and they could go 4-4-2 with Fleming in the middle prior to Matheson's return (if in fact she does).

3) Regret leaving Beckie off the team (or maybe Prince). Admittedly you don't know that they can get it done at this level. But I would say they do know that Tanc and Filigno can't get it done, and they knew before the tournament started.

Ah who knows. They haven't allowed a goal, they are top of the group, and Netherlands doesn't look anywhere close to the team that many thought. Maybe the goals will come. I just felt the need to rant a bit.

Can't disagree with the criticism, but those predicting an early tournament demise should look at the projected lineup (subject to today's results):

R16: Canada vs. Cameroon

QF: Canada vs. England/Norway

SF: Canada vs. Brazil/Japan/#2 Group of Death

OK, Canada gets smoked by Norway based on Monday afternoon, but England has been lackluster in its last 2 games (incl. loss to Canada).

Anyone have a link to how FIFA chooses which 3rd place teams go in which group? If #3 Group of Death comes through, both Cameroon and 3D are eligible for two slots (Thai & Dutch are automatically slotted). Coin flip?

Archived