Provisional 35-man roster for Gold Cup announced

Toje

CANADA
GK (4) – Milan Borjan (Ludogorets Razgrad/Bulgaria); Lars Hirschfeld (Valerenga/Norway); Quillan Roberts (Toronto FC/Canada); Kenny Stamatopoulos (AIK/Sweden)

DF (10) – Samuel Adekugbe (Vancouver Whitecaps/Canada); Nana Attakora (San Antonio Scorpions/USA); Luca Gasparotto (Glasgow Rangers/Scotland); Andre Hainault (unattached); Dejan Jakovic (Shimizu S-Pulse/Japan); Nikolas Ledgerwood (Energie Cottbus/Germany); Ashtone Morgan (Toronto FC/Canada); Karl W. Ouimette (New York Red Bulls/USA); Mallan Roberts (FC Edmonton/Canada); Adam Straith (Fredrikstad/Norway)

MF (16) -- Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas/USA); Kyle Bekker (FC Dallas/USA); Julian de Guzman (Ottawa Fury/Canada); Marcel de Jong (Sporting Kansas City/USA); David Edgar (Birmingham City/England); Atiba Hutchinson (Besiktas/Turkey); Will Johnson (Portland Timbers/USA); Kianz Froese (Vancouver Whitecaps/Canada); Issey Nakajima-Farran (Terengganu/Malaysia); Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC/Canada); Pedro Pacheco (Santa Clara/Portugal); Michael Petrasso (Queen’s Park Rangers/England); Samuel Piette (Deportivo La Coruña/Spain); Tosaint Ricketts (Hapoel Haifa/Israel); Russell Teibert (Vancouver Whitecaps/Canada); Maxim Tissot (Impact de Montreal/Canada)

FW (5) - Randy Edwini-Bonsu (Stuttgart Kickers/Germany); Marcus Haber (Crewe Alexandra/England); Jordan Hamilton (Toronto FC/Canada); Simeon Jackson (unattached); Cyle Larin (Orlando City SC/USA)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have thought Monsalve would have made the keeper list, but that's about it in terms of surprises for me. James is also kind of a surprise, but he's a fringe player as well.

Also, as there is no Hoilett, no Aird, no Vitoria, no Arfield, no Opare, no Finlay, no Edward, if everyone could please shut up about each of these players, that'd be great.

I would have thought Monsalve would have made the keeper list, but that's about it in terms of surprises for me. James is also kind of a surprise, but he's a fringe player as well.

Also, as there is no Hoilett, no Aird, no Vitoria, no Arfield, no Opare, no Finlay, no Edward, if everyone could please shut up about each of these players, that'd be great.

You missed no Lucas.

Only comment is that they seem to be leaning more towards the fringe North America guys (Froese, Roberts, Hamilton etc.) vs the fringe Europe guys (Trafford, Plavisic, Thomas etc.). I suppose it doesn't really matter since none of them would likely be on the team but it might be an indicator of how Floro sees things. Alternatively could just be a convenience thing. 

After feeling pretty pessimistic about the future after Honduras this roster offers renewed optimism. A solid group of talented youngsters who are playing regularly, some signs of consistent goal scoring threats, some veteran leadership sprinkled in, real depth at most positions, competition at some spots and a few guys left off who could have theoretically been named to this squad.

Nice to see Hamilton there

Interesting that he is ahead of Clarke.

Also, no Bernier, which I think is the right call, I just mention it because I know there was mention that he might be on the 35 man roster.

Also, interesting that Issey is on there.

I think quarters is realistic. I would be over the moon with an appearance in the semifinals.

That's pretty much were I say as well. It's a step in the right direction for sure. It does seem with this roster they are going for it which bodes well for WCQ.

Just noticed there is no Aleman. Thought he deserved a call up based on his form but I guess he will be at Panams. There is actually starting to be some depth!?

Hmmm, totally agree with respect to Aleman.  Too bad ... but his future is looking so much brighter now that he's getting PT.

Semis is a pretty lofty goal but to me a possibility. Quarters would be realistic and not getting out of the group would be a disappointment.

For a moment I thought this was a World Cup Qualifier thread and I thought everybody had gone nuts!

Adekugbe is on the list? He is recovering from an injury and I haven't seen him even on the WC2 team yet so how far along is his recovery that they'd put him on the list? I know the gold cup is not until July but that is less than a month away. I hope this is a good sign and he's getting better quickly. 

I wonder if Floro is going for players who are in mid season form rather than end of season form? Go with a lot of North American players. Aleman I would rate ahead of Froese.

Just to compare, dug up the 2013 roster...

GK- Haidar Al-Shaïbani | FRA / Nîmes Olympique
GK- Milan Borjan | TUR / Sivasspor
GK- Tomer Chencinski | unattached
GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball
GK- Simon Thomas | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
D- Nana Attakora | USA / San Jose Earthquakes 
D- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg
D- David Edgar | ENG / Burnley FC
D- André Hainault | unattached
D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Adam Straith | GER / FC Saarbrücken